OS X 10.9 Mavericks released, thoughts anyone?

OS X 10.9 Mavericks OS Mac

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

I haven't had too many issues. The only odd and annoying things are 1) a flash drive that doesn't like to mount, but seems other wise fine (no troubles on my iMac or my wife's MacBook Pro) and 2) one coffee shop I used to connect without issue, won't connect now. Oh, and 3) when I have my MacBook connected to a projector, sometimes when my computer shuts the screen off to save power, it will also log me out.

#22 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hmmm, they are curious issues. Hopefully that stuff will be fixed soonish by Apple.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

I have Mavericks installed on my living room Mac mini (2011 model). So far, I haven't found severe problems, even my aging EyeTV 2.x still works. The only thing that bugs me is that the mini now takes considerably longer to go to sleep. The display goes dark immediately, but it takes up to a couple of minutes until the computer is actually asleep.

Oh, and the tool provided by Apple to create a bootable installation drive completely bricked the flash drive I tried to use for that… :glare:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3820 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:07 AM

Personally, 2 issues:

• My 2011 iMac seems to be a lot slower when doing HDD IO, but I would assume there's a few kinks, now they are doing all that changed RAM and CPU stuff.
• My 2011 Mac Mini hooked up to a HDTV by HDMI now has flickering. Now THAT is annoying, as it is practically useless as a HT.. :( At least loads of people have flickering trouble now, so I hope it is also just a temporary thing.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#25 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

Just bought my wife and one of my kids new MBPs with Mavericks (my first experience with the OS), and noticed that you can't back up your iPhone/iPad via Itunes any more--forced to use iCloud (Contacts and Calendars wont Sync). That's a big issue if you're a health professional and can't use iCloud for patient data due to privacy rules. Not sure if there's a work-around, but the absence of USB-based local Syncing will keep me on Snow Leopard forever.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#26 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

You just need to change the settings:

Posted Image

#27 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on 02 December 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Just bought my wife and one of my kids new MBPs with Mavericks (my first experience with the OS), and noticed that you can't back up your iPhone/iPad via Itunes any more--forced to use iCloud (Contacts and Calendars wont Sync). That's a big issue if you're a health professional and can't use iCloud for patient data due to privacy rules. Not sure if there's a work-around, but the absence of USB-based local Syncing will keep me on Snow Leopard forever.
You might want to check your iTunes settings. It's most definitely still there; I back up my iPod Touch 5 regularly to my MBP, which is running Mavericks.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#28 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

The local Sync has been working for most things, but NOT Contacts or Calendars, which now seem to require iCloud. The Contacts issue is my main problem, as all my patient data is in the Contacts file. There's a long Apple Discussions thread on this problem, so I don't think it's just me. Have any of you managed to Sync contacts without using iCloud?
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#29 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:34 AM

I just noticed 10.9.1 has been released. Has anyone already installed it? Any improvements on the Nvidia drivers front?

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#30 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

I've installed it but haven't done any game tests.

BTW, I don't know how many others here have experienced these things. But a couple of problems that seemed to have gone away since Mavericks that I'm glad are gone are.
  • Icon Corruption in particular with apps that have lots of icons like candybar... in 10.7 or below I was getting quite a bit of this. The icons would corrupt and look blurry\pixelated like it would fail to see the larger sizes.
  • Notification Center hanging for minutes at a time when activated from the keyboard. It usually ended with dock and notification getting killed and restarting.
On the other hand I seem to now have a bit of audio problems in Mavericks where the entire sound doesn't play unless more that one sound plays consecutively or long enough. Like if it's a random alert sound after silence I only hear the last fraction of a second of it. I got an app called "Optical Audio Port Keep Alive" which is supposed to address this but it doesn't.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#31 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yeah I had the icon corruption previously - it seemed the cache would get full and you had to logout to clear it.

Not seen anything with notification centre but messages sometimes fails to badge the icon in the dock and the bounce option has gone so sometimes miss them arriving if my phone isn't nearby.

10.9.1 seems to have preserved trim being enabled on my 3rd party drive for a change which is nice.

Can't see any kexts modified recently for graphics here so I guess it will be a case of waiting for 10.9.2. It seems from what I've read that the Nvidia drivers lost some performance in 10.9 and the Radeon 7950 still isn't nipping at the heals of a GTX680 like it should...
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#32 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

From my experience I didn't lose or gain any performance in 10.9 vs 10.8. Particularly in Bioshock Infinite. It wasn't until recently that I have been able to run that game at settings higher than low without crashing at certain points. But the performance was pretty much the same for me on both.

Most of the compatibility stuff I've encountered in regards to GPU stuff came from moving to Nvidia from AMD... From my perspective it kind of seems like AMD has better OS X drivers. In some cases moving from an older Core i5 to an Ivy Bridge i7 has caused compatibility problems. Like I can't run F.E.A.R. on the version of Crossover Wine that was required to play it without the weapons looking like they are made of glass because of incompatibility with that particular engine and my new Core i7. It crashes thinking some feature in the CPU is missing which obviously is not (forgot what).
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#33 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Haven't seen the icon corruption but I guess it depends on the applications you use.

10.9 has been really stable for a x.0 release from Apple I only had one restart after install and that was for an updated version of Hands Off since it uses Kext: http://www.oneperiod...ducts/handsoff/

Otherwise the 10.9.1 update was the first restart I've had since. That's what I'd hope for for my personal machine and am finally happy to have.

#34 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

The icon corruption I\we where talking about mostly only happened in 10.8 or below. It seems to have gone away in 10.9 and I've seen others at other sites (such as porting team) attest to this.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#35 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

I finally made the jump to Mavericks on my MBP last week (taking the opportunity to completely reinstall my system from scratch, which removed literally dozens of GB of crud that seems to have accumulated over the last few of years).

In short: I think it's a mixed bag.

There are positive things like the new, cleaner interfaces for the Calendar and the Address Book. Battery life definitely has improved (though not by a huge amount) and overall, the performance is good. Mainly, everything works as it should.

But there are also quite a couple of annoyances, which not all can be written off as bugs. For instance, it's apparently no longer possible to hide software updates in the App Store (like the crap Apple seems to think is the new version of iWorks…). I also don't get what was wrong with the animated Time Machine symbol and why the inconspicuous new little arrow is supposed to be a better indicator. Some of the new power saving functions (apparently mainly App Nap) also seem to mess with some of my applications. It also does not really agree with me that simply pressing the power button now only sends my Mac to sleep instead of invoking the good old dialog.

While I said that the overall performance is good, I found as many others that Mavericks has a odd tendency to be rather sluggish and shows a certain propensity to beach-balling when it comes to file managing and network usage. For instance, when opening the window of an external drive, it usually takes several very long seconds until anything of the contents are displayed. Any attempt to print on my workplaces network printer results in at least 20 seconds of solid beach-balling. Neither of which happened with Mountain Lion and since both also can be seen on a colleagues brand new 2013 rMBP, it's also not my Mac. I'm really wondering whether Apple's QA department was too preoccupied with making sure that iOS 7's parallax effect works properly, when they missed such everyday flaws in Mavericks.

I hope that Apple will fix these things with the next updates.

Apart from that, Mavericks continued the unfortunate tradition of OS X updates of breaking some old games. Both Neverwinter Nights 2 and Unreal Tournament 2k4 are graphically completely messed up (at least on my Retina MBP) and hence unplayable. Furthermore, the Asian Dynasties expansion of Age of Empires III is – for what reason ever – no longer able to find the main game (which still runs). It's possible that a complete reinstallation of the game (in contrast to the drag'n'drop copying I did and which always worked in the past) might fix that, but I'd have to locate the Asian Dynasties 1.0.1 patch first…

#36 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

Mavericks started opening a blank email which prompts me for a an email address every time I open Entourage.  Very annoying.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#37 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Unreal Tournament 2004 runs with no problems for me here in Mavericks. I don't play any of those other games so I can't vouch for them though. Also, I don't play Unreal 2004 at retina resolution although 2560x1440 at top details is getting close to it.. but not taxing at all on modern hardware of course.

Don't notice nearly as many beach ball events on here as Janichsan either. Especially during printing.... perhaps something has gone awry with your upgrade process? Nor have I noticed app nap interfering with any of my apps... and it's not like I'm very unobservant. I'm very sensitive to things not being as smooth as they should be. I'm just not sure all those problems are inherent to Mavericks itself or something gone wrong with that particular upgrade.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#38 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

I would have to agree with Janichsan here, it is not a rare occurrence that performance has dropped off in Mavericks. I found it myself a bit, especially in the same general examples that he listed. Not to say you are wrong, Tetsu, but maybe you are both right; as it has been fine for some people, while others it has not.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#39 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 07 January 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

Unreal Tournament 2004 runs with no problems for me here in Mavericks. … Also, I don't play Unreal 2004 at retina resolution although 2560x1440 at top details is getting close to it.. but not taxing at all on modern hardware of course.
It's quite possible that this is due to how OS X handles resolutions on Retina Macs. Some games already had problems with that in the past, but often it was possible to easily fix that. No longer.

Don't notice nearly as many beach ball events on here as Janichsan either. Especially during printing.... perhaps something has gone awry with your upgrade process?
What upgrade process? My current installation is a complete clean slate. The beach ball also only turns up when printing on a network printer. Everything works totally fine when my local printer.

Nor have I noticed app nap interfering with any of my apps... and it's not like I'm very unobservant. I'm very sensitive to things not being as smooth as they should be.
The apps that seem to have problems with App Nap for me a mostly scientific applications doing longer running calculations or applications running in the background.

I'm just not sure all those problems are inherent to Mavericks itself or something gone wrong with that particular upgrade.
Again: no upgrade process. Squeaking clean installation. Same problems witnessed on a brand new late 2013 Retina MBP.

If you look around, you'll find quite a few reports with the same problems. I'm not saying everyone has the same trouble, but it's certainly not a singular occurrence.

#40 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

OK so it wasn't an upgrade but there was some process involved..... again as with anything your mileage may vary. Speaking of which mine actually happens to be an upgrade from Mt. Lion.

But here's the thing... people don't tend to complain when everything is working fine. But I understand there are always a few people having problems with anything new (or even old). My most recent problem was kernel panics with google chrome helper... I ended up switching browsers to see if that helps. Seemed to start happening after 10.9.1 with that particular app.

About the printer... I have a network printer too. I wasn't talking about local printing. My printer is even a Wi-Fi one which one would think would have an even worse problem with that since Wi-Fi is generally regarded as being less reliable than wired.

I was just trying to convey that not everyone has those problems and that it's probably not something that can't be fixed.

BTW, it's possible to shut off app nap for certain applications. It's there in the get info window.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OS X, 10.9, Mavericks, OS, Mac