#61 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 27 April 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

This reminds me of how Omni group used compatibility layer software from Transgaming to make ports that where essentially prototype versions of cider. Except more custom because they had to deal with PowerPC so some of the code was ported natively particularly I would say the CPU portions but much of the rest was run via a custom winelib. Their games ended up breaking with OS updates long before Apple dropped Rosetta support. Their port of AvP2 also suffered from wine bugs that where long standing until around 2009-10 with the 1.5 branch that caused performance issues.

For all we know Virtual Programming's software is similar to this. The part where they say "without source code" kind of hints that this might be the case.
Yes, and the fact that (IIRC) they are partly responsible for the OS X support of UE4 is not so encouraging IMHO. I don't expect good performance from Virtual Programming, especially now that we know they're using wrappers.

#62 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostTrautman, on 28 April 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

In my case (iMac mid 2011, 21.5 inch, Quad-core 2.5GHz, RAM 12MB, HD 6750m 512MB, OS X 10.9.2), Dead Island works smoother than Bioshock Infinite.
It becomes more smooth by motion blur turn off.

1. Data0.pak (Your account/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Dead Island/DI/Data0.pak) is unziped.

2. Data folder/Scripts/varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr ← This is opened by text editor.

3. It rewrites & saves as follows.
VarFloat("f_blur_camera_motion_factor", 0.0)
VarFloat("f_blur_camera_motion_near", 0.0)
VarFloat("f_blur_camera_motion_far", 1.0)
VarFloat("f_blur_camera_motion_max", 1.0)

VarFloat("f_blur_camera_motion_factor", 0.0)
VarFloat("f_blur_camera_motion_near", 0.0)
VarFloat("f_blur_camera_motion_far", 0.0)
VarFloat("f_blur_camera_motion_max", 0.0)

4. Data folder and Scripts folder are made & varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr is put into Scripts folder.
Data/Scripts/varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr

5. Data folder is put into out folder (Your account/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Dead Island/DI/out).

It is the same method, FOV can be changed if default_levels.xml is rewritten.

Are you saying you;
1. Unzipped   Data0.pak   and left it unzipped?
2. Changed the variables in those lines in   varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr then...
3. Place varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr   into   Data/Scripts/ then place...
4. Data/Scripts/varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr   into   ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Dead Island/DI/out  ??
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#63 Trautman

Trautman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 01 May 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

Are you saying you;
1. Unzipped   Data0.pak   and left it unzipped?
2. Changed the variables in those lines in   varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr then...
3. Place varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr   into   Data/Scripts/ then place...
4. Data/Scripts/varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr   into   ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Dead Island/DI/out  ??

Correct answer.

#64 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:05 AM

I don't get it. I changed Data0.pak to Data0.zip and unzipped and it became Data 2 since there's already a Data folder. I can't leave it unzipped because it gives an error because now there's no Data0.pak file.

UPDATE: I renamed the backup to Data0.pak and the game loaded and appears to now not have the camera blurring... game still runs like caca. Thank you.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#65 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

This little article is interesting to me because of this line...

DSO Gaming said:

Interesting thoughts, though we kind of wonder why the Dead Island is still plagued with major issues that have not been resolved as of yet (yes, the ‘stuttering camera mouse movement’ is one of them). And will Dying Light suffer from the same issues as its predecessors?

This refers to the PC version of course since DSO Gaming is a PC Gaming site rather than Mac.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#66 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

I just uninstalled the game and count it as a disappointing loss.

I can't help but believe that another porting house would have done a better job.

#67 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

I wish State of Decay would get ported.

I recently started playing it, and I have it say, it slaughters both Dead Island and Dead Rising (except maybe Dead Rising 1). I don't think I've ever had as much fun in a zombie game! Would be a kickass addition for the Mac.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#68 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 16 May 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

I can't help but believe that another porting house would have done a better job.
Would they be able to fix something that also plagues the original Windows version as well? Who knows.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#69 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:58 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 17 May 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

Would they be able to fix something that also plagues the original Windows version as well? Who knows.
I'm well aware of your previous post. I think if the raw input could be figured out (as was the case with Deus Ex) then maybe yes. It wouldn't be the first time a Mac port had bugs discovered that were squashed and helped with a PC update.

#70 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

Ive been fighting with the windows version myself. If I want any kind of smooth gameplay, its XBOB360 Controller ONLY. Soon as I click the option for mouse/keyboard, the whole thing goes to popsnizzle. Tried every haxie and workaround on the net for that game for mouse/kb, but none work anymore. Sad, cause it really looks like a fun and great game, but Me + Controller + FPS = faceplant.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#71 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 18 May 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Ive been fighting with the windows version myself. If I want any kind of smooth gameplay, its XBOB360 Controller ONLY. Soon as I click the option for mouse/keyboard, the whole thing goes to popsnizzle. Tried every haxie and workaround on the net for that game for mouse/kb, but none work anymore. Sad, cause it really looks like a fun and great game, but Me + Controller + FPS = faceplant.

Wahhhhh. Baby want a zima. :teehee:

But surrrisously the game is fun but it's laden with issues under windows and under mac its even worse. I had to switch back to windows after I hit a point where theres a damn thug and every time he takes a swing at me the game crashes.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#72 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

I know this doesnt help the mac version of the game, but maybe its related? ...

I actually figured out what the blazin damned problem is with this game under Windows while using mouse/keyboard. For some unholy reason it decides too at random intervals to suddenly set the "Priority" of the application to "Below Normal". ONLY does this when mouse/leyboard is set to be used for controller. So, what I have to do is every few minutes hit windows key to bring up task manager then right click and select "Above Normal" and then the mouse/keyboard controll in the game is super fluid.

Then, a few minutes later, randomly (sometimes its like 10-15 minutes) it drops back down to below normal. Well, at least I can play with mouse now for short stints with a minor inconveneince going into task manager over and over.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#73 isabellabbchu

isabellabbchu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Steam Name:isabellabbchu
  • Steam ID:isabellabb

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 16 May 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

what ? :huh: i bought both steam & mac app store version and i am having fun with it ...and i ran it on a low end 21.5 iMac :showoff: maybe you should join us since we are always 2 people short :o

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dead, island, mac, osx