#1 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

Hello,
Many years ago I started developing a Breakout clone in Java. As Apple distanced themselves more and more from Java, I got discouraged with the whole project and it's been sitting abandoned on my computer ever since. I don't know the current state of Java on MacOSX since I've been out of the loop the last few years, but the development version of the game seems to run just fine on my 2012 Macbook Pro at least.

I've uploaded the game here: http://antell.com/so.../triplezero.zip

If anyone is interested feel free to check it out. It's not complete, but fairly playable, and you have an almost unlimited amount of lives too so it's harder to lose than to win... If anyone want me to continue developing it, I might dust it off again and go back to work on it...

#2 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Forgot, but maybe I should include a screenshot as well:

http://antell.com/so...iplescreen1.jpg

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

::sputter::  YOU again?  How did you escape from that 4 world unit deep hole I left you in while playing a Marathon map?  Suicide was the only option... yet here you are?  That ain't possible.

By the way, Triple Zero works great on my Mac Pro.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

It's a long story, in that it took me several years to escape. As you can remember you left me in that dirty hole covered in blood, sweat and shame as you walked away laughing like a pimp leaves his bitches when they are too old and saggy to fulfill any young mans perverted desires.
Lucky for me the place was swarming with the giant wasps of Lh'owon. Occationally they would defecate into the hole, and a plan was soon set in motion. I started eating all the feces I could get my hands on to stay alive. I, in turn started defecating from eating all the crap, and soon a floor of manure was forming under me pushing me upwards, towards my so long desired freedom. I was however making slow progress, and days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months etc.
But as luck would have it, larger creatures started moving into the neighbourhood, and bigger crap was coming my way. One lucky day even a Drinniol dropped a 20 pound deuce right in my hopefull face. After years of only eating turd I was finally above those dreaded 0.3 world units and could walk away from an experience that will forever leave scars on my tastebuds... anyway, thanks for the feedback :)

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hmmmm... even though you had a crappy time of it, you still have a popsnizzle eating grin on your face.  Nice resilience.  

To be sure, you didn't finish the level editor, the high score screen or add the main menu "How To Play" and "Quit" functions.  Right?  Cause that's not working for me.  Also I'd like to meet Sara Hotpants.  Set that up for me please and I'll give you a pinocchio-nosed apology for that whole suicide trap... thingy.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

The level editor is unfinished. You can modify the original levels but not create new ones. You can drag the bricks around, and if you press the space bar while doing so, the brick will change color.

The high score screen is more or less done, but since you can't really lose you're never promted with the high score screen.

"How To Play" and "Quit" does nothing. If you want to quit, you have to "cmd-Q" out of the game or press "esc", or force quit the game, or pull the power cord...

Lastly, Sara Hotpants does not exist, it's just an alter ego of mine... yes I sometimes dress up as a woman when I play. What can I say, I look really good in a skirt.

Thanks!

#7 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

Oh, forgot, you can switch level in the editor with the arrow keys.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

How do you save in the editor or play the level you just edited?  Also, I would like to introduce Sara Hotpants to Eric5h5's "brother", he just got an epilator.  You can spin and weave the mounds of hair into a blanket for those cold nuclear winter nights on Lh'owon.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

There's a big grey button "Main Menu" in the middle of the screen if you have the level editor open. It will save whatever changes you've made and take you back to the main menu. Mmm, nothing beats warm, fussy pubic hairs on a cold winter night...

#10 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Snooping around in the Data folder, you can also find the levels in simple text files. Apparently I've even written a document explaining what all the values represent. I must at some point have realised that I would one day suffer from early onset of dementia...

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hmmm... I apparently saved the last time I edited.  How do you not save?  Cmd/Q or Esc?  Those suffering from dementia are always the last to know.  We tried to tell you early on but you ignored us because you were too busy carving fjords into Yyteri Beach with a stolen nudist's bra.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yes, sorry for the inconvenience, but that is how you don't save... if you want to reset the levels you have to redownload the game ARGH!!! Sorry Herbert!

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

I copied the levels folder for that reason but only after I changed the maps haphazardly and realized they were being saved.  Fortunately I still had the zip file in the trash can!  Perhaps you can have custom levels saved in a separate folder called LEVELS2 or something, that way one can still play your original levels and build a library of their own.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

Pheuw, you saved yourself a heavy 4 Mb download there! Yes, while I was working on the game I had big dreams of people creating thousands, if not millions... or billions (I don't know what comes after that) of levels that would be put in a separate folder. Unfortunately Java is no longer supported in XCode, so right now I'm going through the hassle of learning Netbeans, and it's so frustrating that I've been crying like a little girl for hours while eating five pounds of icecream.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Yeah just think how it could have been: D-M.A.org created by fans with the much coveted Triple Zero Archives flourishing with user maps,  the Triple Zero Story Page with it's never ending conspiracies, the lively forums, the half abandoned PC port page, and even an orphanage page for unfinished levels.  But no, D-M.A. won't remove his sobbing, tear soaked head from the half empty tub of ice cream.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

OMG!!! I HAVE TO FINISH THIS! :D

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

There is nothing like knocking a guys front teeth down his throat to get him motivated.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Good news, I finally managed to compile a working version of Triple Zero with Netbeans and wrap it into a runnable application with Jar Bundler muahahaha! So... now I just have to start working on the actual game...

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

Add more boobs and explosions while you are mucking about in the code.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 D-M.A.

D-M.A.

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

More moobs & muck, got it!