Doom 3 Sikkmod Finally Native to the Mac....

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Ok finally I have sikkmod running with Mac Doom In French. it's not yet the perfect setup because I don't have the sikkmod menu in the game so perhaps I don't have all features. But it's still rather pleasant because all text stuff is quite more clean. Moreover I could use a higher resolution (1600x1200) I would wish an intermediate resolution but it's not in the list. Also I don't have any 16/10 resolution with the mod, which is strange because with the vanilla I have some 16/10 res, but the highest is 1280*800 which is quite playable but rather too low (I have a 30" monitor).

Before tried this, I played the first level and a part of second level (Administration). And I noticed that tried use Vanilla savegame with Sikkmod wasn't working the game freeze at load of the save. But start a new game was fine. I had forgot how great are the first levels of the game and it's fine to replay them.

For the problem with the French version, it could be just the missing Sikkmod menu, strangely the other bizarre stuff as weird #_test2034 or something like that in commands setup and few texts disappeared all texts seems fine and in French. One thing to quote is for now I'm not only using Sikkmod but also this mode (http://www.fileplane...D3base-Mod-v1.2) adding light to all weapons, well perhaps not grenades. I don't know yet if it works with Sikkmod, I put its pak file inside sikkmod folder in user library (file organization with recent versions of Mac Doom 3 are different than what they was for the original release). I'll post it to quote if it works or not.

I wonder if I could just edit the doomconfig file to set the res in 16/10 and a bit lower? Well for now I don't want to touch too many thing, seems work fine and I'll try more like that.

Strangely with Vanilla when playing first two levels I had great performance but still few slowdown, some clearly because of some loading during about 1s, but some other in some place not a constant high performance. I wonder what I'll get with sikkmod defaults.

#22 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

On my current setup I retried sikkmod and I was getting slightly different results as to before. Firstly, r_mode -1 and customwidth and height are no longer working for me.... whenever I would try that it would ignore it and set it to default 1024x768. Also, texture compression isn't working with the monoxead\wulfen textures where before it did. I now get mmaloc errors after using the teleporter to exit the labs and the next level loads. But for all I know aspyr's port uses OpenGL 2.x and is restricted to how much memory it can use. Like for example... it always says it detects 256MB of VRAM no matter how much you have and setting the vram via the cvar in the .cfg doesn't make any difference. Although.. I did find that r_mode 14-16 produce the higher settings available. This is something sikkmod specific it seems.

On the other hand it seems Doom 3 BFG edition is being ported to Linux\Mac with better soft shadows and custom content support.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/byaex

Github for RBDOOM3-BFG: https://github.com/R...ns/RBDOOM-3-BFG

Thread talking about work being done to get it up and running on OS X: https://github.com/R...3-BFG/issues/87

One issue it seems to have so far is it requires OpenGL 3.2 compatibility mode and on OS X that is only available via core mode. People there have compiled it but haven't released any binaries... only Windows binaries are available to download right now.

Also, we'd need to procure base files from the BFG edition rather than the vanilla edition we have.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#23 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

I clicked on this thinking that it was about the Doom 3 BFG Edition coming to Mac! That would have resulted in my clicking buy in 2 seconds!!
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#24 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Previously I was talking about a graphic enhancement mod for the original Doom 3. (which actually at this point worked better for me in Wine than native... I didn't get any mmaloc errors in Wine even on a Mac that had less VRAM)

In my most recent post I was talking about the open source version of Doom 3 BFG being brought to Mac. But.. in the latter case you'd still have to buy the game on Steam and then download it via Windows steam (like via Wine, Crossover, Parallels or Bootcamp) and then transfer the data files over to the Mac version of RBDOOM3-BFG when they release binaries. So.. the BFG Edition IS coming to the Mac. Just not in a convenient one click download way.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#25 Terminator1MW

Terminator1MW

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

I downloaded the default sikkmod but the link for the mac compatible alteration doesn't seem to work. Can you relink it or tell me where to go to download that file? Thanks

#26 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

Mavericks 10.9.4 fixed my problem with the sikkmod and the memory allocation errors upon using the teleporter for the first time. The performance in that game and many others are enhanced to boot. With Doom 3 it's completely blazing\smooth frame rate now.  *edit* Upon further testing it still runs out of memory on that level and crashes with a mmaloc error. However, it's not as quick to crash as it was in 10.9.3. So that's something... it's not perfect yet though.

Also, sorry for the late reply to this but it seems Doom3World has gone bye bye and hasn't returned. So there currently doesn't seem to be a place to download it. I might consider uploading the mac support file somewhere if it's desired.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#27 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

For someone who is looking here for info my current applescript to launch Doom 3 + sikkmod is as follows:

do shell script "exec /Applications/Games/'Doom 3'.app/Contents/MacOS/'Doom 3' +set fs_game sikkmod +seta r_mode 18"

--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#28 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:45 AM

Where's the zombie/tombstone/dead thread emoji? Anyway, I reinstalled Doom 3 and was hoping to use Sikkmod only to find almost all Mac-related resources being red herrings... :cool:
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#29 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

I was able to download (via moddb), use SIKKMOD and get it running through a single icon with the help Smoke's script. Quite smooth.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB