71 replies to this topic

#61 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

New bundle time. This one features a generous helping of titles by Origin. But although many of these games are available on Mac, only two Mac versions are part of the bundle:
Dragon Age 2, and Bejeweled 3.

I'm slightly tempted to pick up DA2, even though I know it's inferior to DA:O. But I think I shall resist.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#62 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

DA2 is a bit of a mixed bag.

Yes, a lot of the environments are re-used (when you've seen one cave or hideout you've seen them all), but I kinda liked it. It definitely drew me in. And as much as I hate to admit it, I enjoyed the combat too. The story isn't particularly special, but this is probably a comparative thing because we were spoiled by DA:O.

A word of caution though; I'm not sure that the game is being actively updated. Replaying it after a couple of years I'm noticing some nasty lighting blooms and texture errors on my 2012 MBP (10.10.2/HD 4000).
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#63 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

View Postnick68k, on 15 April 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

DA2 is a bit of a mixed bag.

Yes, a lot of the environments are re-used (when you've seen one cave or hideout you've seen them all), but I kinda liked it. It definitely drew me in. And as much as I hate to admit it, I enjoyed the combat too. The story isn't particularly special, but this is probably a comparative thing because we were spoiled by DA:O.

A word of caution though; I'm not sure that the game is being actively updated. Replaying it after a couple of years I'm noticing some nasty lighting blooms and texture errors on my 2012 MBP (10.10.2/HD 4000).

It was a cider port and that's par the course for those.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#64 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:18 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 15 April 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

It was a cider port and that's par the course for those.

Yeah. Disappointing.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#65 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

A rather impressive "Freedom Bundle" over at Humble Bundle for the next 4 days. Lots of games (plus a few ebooks, an audiobook, other things) donated to the bundle by their respective creators. ALL the money goes to charity.

Unfortunately some of the games are Windows only, including The Witness (wondering if that'll ever come to Mac now.) Plus some of the games were in limited numbers and sold out on the first day. Still, what remains is still the biggest bundle I can remember them ever doing.

Titles include Invisible Inc., Stanley Parable, Day of the Tentacle, and too many other ones to list here.

#66 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:21 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 15 February 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

A rather impressive "Freedom Bundle" over at Humble Bundle for the next 4 days. Lots of games (plus a few ebooks, an audiobook, other things) donated to the bundle by their respective creators. ALL the money goes to charity.

Unfortunately some of the games are Windows only, including The Witness (wondering if that'll ever come to Mac now.)

Yes, it's coming soon. iOS too: http://the-witness.n...01/anniversary/

#67 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

View PostCougar, on 15 February 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

Yes, it's coming soon. iOS too: http://the-witness.n...01/anniversary/

It's out on the MAS now, and Steam soon. And it uses Metal. :o

#68 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

View PostCougar, on 09 March 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

It's out on the MAS now, and Steam soon. And it uses Metal. :o
Even more surprising (to me at least) is that OS X 10.11.6 is supported. So maybe my old 2008 Mac Pro will be able to run it. Once I heard it used Metal I assumed that Sierra would be required (in order to get required Metal fixes, like Obduction needs.)

#69 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 16 March 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Even more surprising (to me at least) is that OS X 10.11.6 is supported. So maybe my old 2008 Mac Pro will be able to run it. Once I heard it used Metal I assumed that Sierra would be required (in order to get required Metal fixes, like Obduction needs.)

You probably know this already, but you can patch Sierra to run on the 2008 MP.

#70 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

View PostCougar, on 16 March 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

You probably know this already, but you can patch Sierra to run on the 2008 MP.
Oh? The earliest Mac Pro that officially runs Sierra is the 2010, but the 2009's firmware can be patched to turn it into a 2010. Hadn't heard anything about the 2008.

It also seems that just because you are running Sierra doesn't mean you can run Metal. This confuses me-- if your video card has been upgraded and you run Sierra, why wouldn't Metal run? But Apple's list says that even the 2012 Mac Pros aren't supported: https://support.appl.../en-us/HT205073

Oh well. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Maybe Apple will release a machine this year I actually want to upgrade to, but I suspect not.

#71 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 18 March 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

This confuses me-- if your video card has been upgraded and you run Sierra, why wouldn't Metal run? But Apple's list says that even the 2012 Mac Pros aren't supported: https://support.appl.../en-us/HT205073

It's simply because they don't even consider you could upgrade the card. (No wonder they don't bother producing upgradable Macs anymore.)

#72 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 18 March 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Oh? The earliest Mac Pro that officially runs Sierra is the 2010, but the 2009's firmware can be patched to turn it into a 2010. Hadn't heard anything about the 2008.

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Humble Bundle