5s? Phat 64-bit chip? Infinity Blade 3? Nothing....?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 September 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I often wonder if after the nuke if that lying bag of bones Müller is now double dead.
That guy sucked.

"Oh, sure. Open the door. We totally cleared all the monsters out."

I would have shot him in his pearly Nazi skull after surviving that, but in 1993 our cervical vertebrae were all fused and we couldn't look down.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#42 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostFrost, on 10 September 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

I'm about 100 times more interested in an A7-equipped retina iPad mini later this fall. Preparing to sell my mini soon in preparation. NO MORE STAIR STEPS ON MY TEXT, NO MORE JITTERY GAMES, HURRAH!
Well that went a lot better than I expected. A pixel died on my iPad mini, so I took it to Apple and they gave me a new one. As in new-new, not as-new refurbished. Time to sell while I can get close-to-new prices.

Anybody wants one, I'm going to put it in Buy & Sell with a discount over what I'm asking at eBay since there are no fees here.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#43 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

AnandTech's 5S Review

The A7 obliterates every other smartphone in CPU performance, and even best Intel's yet to be released chip. GPU performance is also extremely potent. One of the top performers GPU wise.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#44 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Geez. That's pretty awesome; those benchmarks bring to mind the GTX TITAN's benchmarks vs. single GPU cards back this Spring. A field of competitive stuff followed by a ridiculously fast thing that drinks their milkshake.

Eric5h5:

#45 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

But...but....I still can't customize my home screen with widgets!

(sorry, couldn't resist :P )
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#46 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Who gives a crap? That much power, the day is approaching you can hook your iPhone up to your TV and play console-level videogames on it. That's what I'm talking about. :P

Eric5h5:

#47 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

The power is still largely wasted, is the problem.  No developer who wants to make money is going to write software that requires or even takes advantage of most of that power and thereby lock him or herself out of 80+% of the market.  No one is really even writing apps that require the power of the A6, much less this new super A7.  

Thats my problem with the entire "spec war" - its meaningless.  The power of high-end android phones is no different, except to be even more meaningless since an even smaller percentage of the market has a super-phone.  By the time market penetration of the A7 hits enough, there will be an A9 or A20 out there that is even betterer that will still only have a tiny percentage of the market.  

Developers dont target the top end - the target the masses, and the masses are still using iPhone 4's (or even, in the case of my grandparents, a 3GS).  

Having used iOS7 a bit now, it's definitely a step in the right direction, but it is still lagging behind Android in ease-of-use/convenience features, which is where Apple used to shine and lead the way.  It irks me that they are now reduced to copying features from more forward-thinking developers, only to still have the mindless Apple fanboys laud them for their new "innovations".

#48 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 19 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Developers dont target the top end - the target the masses
You tell that to Crytek. :P

The secret sauce is just to have something that scales well, like Infinity Blade.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#49 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

I agree with that sentiment, and it holds true for Crytek as well - yes, the games are *capable* of taking advantage of bleeding edge hardware, but they all run fine (and still look better than most competing games on max settings) at middle-of-the-road settings.

#50 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Which applies to iOS games as well--you just scale back the effects as needed on lesser hardware, or just have older devices run at a lower FPS (like 30 instead of 60).  Seems strange to call it "wasted" power, since there's no chance it won't be used.  If not immediately, then later on when more devices have it as a baseline.

--Eric

#51 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 19 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

The power is still largely wasted, is the problem.  No developer who wants to make money is going to write software that requires or even takes advantage of most of that power and thereby lock him or herself out of 80+% of the market.
*raises hand as former iPad mini owner*

Plenty of games didn't have great too good of framerates. Maps is slow and jumpy as frak, Google Earth had memory overruns constantly and quit from having only 512MB of RAM. The spec ain't dead and developers have no problem taking advantage of the latest specs, even to the detriment of existing users. Gads, I know that especially from my poor old A4-powered iPod Touch. Moving to the iPod Touch 5 was a huuuuuge difference.

Eric5h5:

#52 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

Lack of RAM (256MB only) on the iPad 1, was also the reason I got rid of it. And more or less lack of RAM is the only thing that annoys me about the iPad 2, but it is no where near as bad as the iPad 1.

But I always get good/acceptable framerates in all the games I play with it, and it has the same chip as the mini I believe?

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#53 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 20 September 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

Lack of RAM (256MB only) on the iPad 1, was also the reason I got rid of it. And more or less lack of RAM is the only thing that annoys me about the iPad 2, but it is no where near as bad as the iPad 1.

But I always get good/acceptable framerates in all the games I play with it, and it has the same chip as the mini I believe?

Ya the mini and iPad 2 are identical spec wise

edit: forgot the 2 originally, as doh123, pointed out.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#54 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 20 September 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

Ya the mini and iPad are identical spec wise
the mini and iPad 2 are identical spec wise besides physical sizes... not the iPad 1.

#55 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

...What is also what I meant, and what Snake has in his post at the moment. :) The iPad 2 upgrade over the first one, was pretty substantial. I have yet to lust for the newer models, so I assume that when the battery finally dies, that is when I upgrade. Given that I still get many, many hours from it (I mean, I'm *very* positive about the battery experience with the iPad, even when it is 2 years old now), I'll probably get the iPad 9. :P

#56 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Picked up a 64GB 5s at my local Apple Store this morning. Shooooooooo, it's nice. :)

Infinity Blade III looks amazing. Can't believe it's running on a phone.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#57 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

Yeah the cheapness of the 5c only applies to certain phone networks who will still get their money out of you. I'm with T-Mobile who while ending contracts, does make you foot the entire cost of the phone either up front or via a payment plan. I "upgraded" from a 4G Touch to a 5c. Prior to that I had the Touch and a crappy Samsung slider phone. While I've had it an entire four hours or so, it is much snappier than my iPod Touch. One thing that keeps me in the Apple circle is  the increasing integration between devices, iCloud or otherwise. I like that I don't need to enter new contact phone numbers unless i need to and so on. It's also going to be our GPS since I never got around to buying one.

#58 HeadWes

HeadWes

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 September 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

And I absolutely cannot wrap my head around the golden 5s. Is that some kind of acknowledgement that the iPhone is a favourite accessory for tasteless douche bags?

What's especially crazy is how much they're going for on eBay right now. Are there really people willing to spend hundreds of dollars extra so other people will think they stood in line to buy the new iPhone? I'd be too embarrassed to carry a gold one around right now. Standing in line for the early iPhones, while not something I would ever do, at least made a bit of sense since they were legitimately revolutionary devices compared to what most people were upgrading from... But now it's a mature product. What kind of person wants to stand in line because they're excited about a faster processor and a fingerprint reader? I can't imagine anyone, which means the only reason to stand in line for one is to be seen with one, but in being seen with one you tell people you're the type of person who stands in line either for a faster processor and a fingerprint reader, or because you want to be seen with it. Crazy.

The pricing on the 5C strikes me as odd, too... Maybe in China that $100 makes a difference? Considering the total cost of ownership of an iPhone for two years can easily exceed $2k I don't see how the savings is significant enough to matter. Then again, I'm not the kind of person who buys phones on contract... so what do I know.
"I only ask to be free. The butterflies are free."

#59 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostHeadWes, on 22 September 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

Maybe in China that $100 makes a difference? Considering the total cost of ownership of an iPhone for two years can easily exceed $2k I don't see how the savings is significant enough to matter.
And right here is why I have an iPod Touch 5 to do all the iPhone's PDA functions, and my phone continues to be my old Motorola RAZR2 V9x on prepaid service. $100/yr + refills when I run low is a lot nicer than iPhone rates.

There is a slight inconvenience in not having them both be the same device, I suppose. But then I can also kill my battery playing music and running apps on my iPod Touch without any worry that I'm going to miss a late in the day phonecall, and I don't mind that trade at all.

Eric5h5:

#60 HeadWes

HeadWes

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostFrost, on 22 September 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

And right here is why I have an iPod Touch 5 to do all the iPhone's PDA functions, and my phone continues to be my old Motorola RAZR2 V9x on prepaid service. $100/yr + refills when I run low is a lot nicer than iPhone rates.

Sometimes I miss the RAZR era, when a phone was expected to do at least a week of standby time on a single charge.

I'm on prepaid service too, and I love it. $30/mo for 500 MB of data and more minutes and texts than I could ever use, and through the Verizon network which is the only one with service where I need it. My phone is an old Samsung Galaxy S that someone gave me for free that I put CM10 on. If it breaks I buy another one on eBay for $50.
"I only ask to be free. The butterflies are free."