5s? Phat 64-bit chip? Infinity Blade 3? Nothing....?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Exactly. Every time releases a product upgrade, people complain that it doesn't have very specific "X" feature that they want to satisfy some specific need (where are my six FireWire 800 ports??? why can't I tap the menu bar to adjust screen brightness??), and product XYZ from Company ABC has this feature, so why doesn't Apple? And as a result Apple sucks. Sigh.

The M7 chip is a good example. It's benefits aren't readily apparent RIGHT NOW, but I bet it'll yield some really cool apps that will enable the iPhone to work in concert with your body (creepy!).

I'll reiterate that Apple has made a conscious decision to NOT compete against Android phones on a feature-by-feature basis. It's just not going to happen. As far I can remember (maybe I'm wrong, though), Apple has never trotted out a presentation slide featuring a table that compares iPhone features vs., say, Galaxy features. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Look at Apple's iPhone ads for further proof--they don't say"HEY! WE ARE BETTER THAN SAMSUNG! THE iPHONE HAS AN A7 PROCESSOR WHICH IS BETTER THAN YOU AND 53tr0 MEGAPIXELS BYE NINERS RUNNING PARALLEL INSTRUCTIONS WTF" The ads simply show people USING the iPhone in a connected an emotional way.

Of course, whether or not those ads are annoying is another discussion..... :-)
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#22 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

The new iPhone seems nice enough, if I was interested in any iPhones, which I'm not.  (Or any smartphones really.)  I was interested in iPod touches, however Apple made a fatal error with the iPod touch 5: they made it really good so that I don't see buying a new one any time soon, unless it explodes or something.  It even still looks new, despite having gotten more use than my iPod touch 4 did.

--Eric

#23 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostAtticus, on 11 September 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

Exactly. Every time releases a product upgrade, people complain that it doesn't have very specific "X" feature that they want to satisfy some specific need (where are my six FireWire 800 ports??? why can't I tap the menu bar to adjust screen brightness??), and product XYZ from Company ABC has this feature, so why doesn't Apple? And as a result Apple sucks. Sigh.

The M7 chip is a good example. It's benefits aren't readily apparent RIGHT NOW, but I bet it'll yield some really cool apps that will enable the iPhone to work in concert with your body (creepy!).

I'll reiterate that Apple has made a conscious decision to NOT compete against Android phones on a feature-by-feature basis. It's just not going to happen. As far I can remember (maybe I'm wrong, though), Apple has never trotted out a presentation slide featuring a table that compares iPhone features vs., say, Galaxy features. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Look at Apple's iPhone ads for further proof--they don't say"HEY! WE ARE BETTER THAN SAMSUNG! THE iPHONE HAS AN A7 PROCESSOR WHICH IS BETTER THAN YOU AND 53tr0 MEGAPIXELS BYE NINERS RUNNING PARALLEL INSTRUCTIONS WTF" The ads simply show people USING the iPhone in a connected an emotional way.

Of course, whether or not those ads are annoying is another discussion..... :-)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHH

#24 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

There are a number of medical applications which are in development which will benefit enormously from the A7 processor. We are currently working on adaptors which will allow the iPhone to function as a full-fledged portable echocardiography console, with the ability to do doppler analysis as well as imaging. This would be impossible without the new processor.

Personally, the thing I really wanted and didn't get is 128GB of storage.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#25 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on 11 September 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

There are a number of medical applications which are in development which will benefit enormously from the A7 processor. We are currently working on adaptors which will allow the iPhone to function as a full-fledged portable echocardiography console, with the ability to do doppler analysis as well as imaging. This would be impossible without the new processor.

Personally, the thing I really wanted and didn't get is 128GB of storage.
See?  Apple is making a tricorder.  Let's see Google/Samsung/Microsoft/et al. do that.

#26 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 11 September 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHH

I know, I know, because, well, as you stated:

"....needs to have features i really want, like the ability to customize my OS experience - widgets (whatever iOS wants to call them) and a user-configurable number of icons per home-screen."

So because Tim Cook didn't upgrade the new iPhone to satisfy the needs of Tetsuya (gasp! Why wasn't he consulted first???), this is ample evidence that Apple is doomed and should just fold up shop. Again I say, if you want features that the iPhone doesn't have, of course you're free to buy an Android phone. That's the beauty of capitalism.  

And as I stated earlier, I agree it would be nice if the iPhone had a larger screen, 128GB of memory, and better battery life, and, yes, it's frustrating that it still doesn't have those improvements, but they will come.

#27 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

View PostHansi, on 11 September 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

This is Apple, this has been their MO forever.... I question what features you guys actually want added?

Half the group is screaming "Ahhhhh bring us more new features that we don't know we want and we'll never use!!!" and the other half is screaming "Copy all the features!!!!"

Actually, I think this discussion is completely missing the point. The problem is not that Apple copies not enough, it's that they copy at all. Remember that long-past time when Apple was not content with just refining, but used to lead? And I'm not talking about fancy under-the-hood specs and megahertz.

It's certainly nice when they include a feature that has been requested for a long time, but Apple's strength was to come up with new things you didn't know you want beforehand.

The whole concept of a wholly touchscreen based smartphone? Has anyone been clamouring for that before 2007? Yet it has been a total game changer. Even on a less grandiose level, they tended to come up with features that changed the user experience significantly. A display so ridiculously resolved you can barely even make out the individual pixels? Was that necessary? Has anyone done that before? Has anyone requested that? No, but still it had a huge effect. Siri could have had a similar impact, if it hadn't been so terribly half-baked.

And now look at the more recent iPhone updates and show me anything that will have a comparable significance. The larger screen? Barely a half-hearted me-too update. The 64 bit CPU? Nice, but no one but a few tech geeks will give a hoot. I even doubt it will be put much to use until the last 32 bit iOS devices will stop being supported in a couple of years. The fingerprint sensor? Also nice, but it won't change the way people use their iPhones in a meaningful manner. It surely will make it easier for people who were to lazy to type a 4-digit passcode to secure their iPhones, but that's it. The M7 co-processor? Maybe I missed something here, but as far as I understood that, it doesn't add any new capabilities, it simply makes the internal handling of the already existing motion sensors more efficient. So I strongly doubt it will lead to any fantastic new applications.

What remains? The golden case? The pastel coloured new iOS where the "innovation" really only seems to be limited to picking the nicest features from the competitors? What's left of Apple's edge that really affects the end-user?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#28 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

So maybe you just answered your own question--there isn't much left to do. The iPhone is a mature product and all the really big innovations (touchscreen, retina display) are behind it. So going forward, all updates are going to be refinements. Does that make Apple a failure? I'm not sure. Maybe Apple R&D has something in a lab that will blow us away, but because of current technology (battery life and power, for example), isn't ready yet. We just don't know. So for now, at least, I'm willing to give the company the benefit of the doubt.

#29 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3820 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

But there is room for improvements still.

I for one would like a useful implementation of NFC, instead of that half-asses application that is Passbook (And utterly useless here).
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#30 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostAtticus, on 12 September 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

So maybe you just answered your own question--there isn't much left to do. The iPhone is a mature product and all the really big innovations (touchscreen, retina display) are behind it.
Says who?

You're still missing the point: "There isn't much left to do" is something you could also have said before the iPhone. There wasn't "much left to do" with the iPhone before the Retina display. There wasn't "much left to do" with portable music players before the iPod. There wasn't "much left to do" before the MacBook Air.

Apple always found something to do where you wouldn't expect something left to do.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#31 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 September 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

Says who?

You're still missing the point: "There isn't much left to do" is something you could also have said before the iPhone. There wasn't "much left to do" with the iPhone before the Retina display. There wasn't "much left to do" with portable music players before the iPod. There wasn't "much left to do" before the MacBook Air.

Apple always found something to do where you wouldn't expect something left to do.

And like I wrote, maybe it's possible there's something sitting in a lab we haven't seen yet. So I agree, Apple has amazed us with stuff we never expected with many of its products.

But I will reiterate that despite Apple's record of showing us lots of "amazing products," it's unrealistic to expect Apple to reveal a OMGWTFINEVERTHOUGHTOFTHAT new feature for the iPhone every 12 months. Those days are behind the iPhone as it matures. That's not to say we won't be amazed again by something they reveal for the iPhone 7GSX, it just won't happen as consistently now. And it's even possible that won't ever happen again, and that's OK with me. The iPhone in its current form is a solidly engineered product.

#32 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Rumor has it that Apple is working on a way to use the iPhone to talk to dead people Mr. Smartypants.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#33 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

ooooo, that means I can talk to....Steve Jobs! And tell him how much his company sucks now...?

#34 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

If I can be reasonably assured that no one other than myself (via the fingerprint sensor) can use my phone, then perhaps my phone would be my digital wallet. So maybe that's the "next big thing" that the iPhone will do that Android phones can't do (yet, AFAIK).  Pay for my coffee, groceries, parking meter, etc.

#35 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostTibur, on 12 September 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

If I can be reasonably assured that no one other than myself (via the fingerprint sensor) can use my phone, then perhaps my phone would be my digital wallet. So maybe that's the "next big thing" that the iPhone will do that Android phones can't do (yet, AFAIK).  Pay for my coffee, groceries, parking meter, etc.
So basically like Google Wallet? :P

#36 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 September 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

So basically like Google Wallet? :P
Exactly!  But better, of course. :) And, with the added security of the fingerprint scanner.

#37 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 September 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Rumor has it that Apple is working on a way to use the iPhone to talk to dead people Mr. Smartypants.
Only if they can find a reliable source of Yellow Crystals though. Assuming they didn't all go up in the Yucatan back in '93.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#38 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostFrost, on 12 September 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Only if they can find a reliable source of Yellow Crystals though. Assuming they didn't all go up in the Yucatan back in '93.

I often wonder if after the nuke if that lying bag of bones Müller is now double dead.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#39 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 12 September 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

But there is room for improvements still.

I for one would like a useful implementation of NFC, instead of that half-asses application that is Passbook (And utterly useless here).

NFC is most likely not going to happen

Has anyone seen it used in a meaningful manner anywhere except payment in a very limited number of places?

I thought this was a good article on the whole thing, if you're extremely unhappy with the whole thing maybe you're just not Apple's target market.

#40 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3820 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostHansi, on 12 September 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

NFC is most likely not going to happen: http://gigaom.com/20...rnet-of-things/

Has anyone seen it used in a meaningful manner anywhere except payment in a very limited number of places?
Very interesting! I've never heard about iBeacons before, but for sure, that'll work for me too. The reason I'm such a pro-ponent for NFC, is the conceptual idea. I would love to have to carry only my tricorderiPhone, and be able to identify myself, pay for things, etc., without having to carry a wallet with 56 plastic cards.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter