5s? Phat 64-bit chip? Infinity Blade 3? Nothing....?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

You guys are slackin'......
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

...or just disinterested.

I wish I could believe that now that Apple is through with their annual iPhone ballyhoo they would finally focus on the Mac and release the long overdue new models, but since that other touchscreen toy product line still has to be updated, I guess that's but a pipe dream...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Apple usually announces new Macs in the fall (see also: new Mac Pro and probably updated Minis). Have faith!

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

It's just not that sensational.  Still a tiny screen.  Still cant customize anything.  Finally got some features that Android had 3 years ago.  

Woo-hoo.  

Ten hours of talk-time!  Big deal - i get more than that on my GS3, which is almost two years old at this point.  

Apple needs to realize that they are now pretty far behind the curve.  They are no longer innovating, merely iterating, and the iterations are tiny and not keeping up with the market.  

If they want me to consider an iPhone the next time i purchase a new cell phone, it needs to be bigger (no, not a freaking phablet, but at least as big as my wife's Galaxy Nexus or my GS3), have a better screen, better battery life, and the OS needs to have features i really want, like the ability to customize my OS experience - widgets (whatever iOS wants to call them) and a user-configurable number of icons per home-screen.  Simple things like the ability to swipe my menu bar at the top to adjust brightness on the fly without opening a single preference pane (something my GS3 already does).  

The hardware specs themselves, while nice and beefy, are also fairly irrelevant.  The Spec is Dead.  No one writing software is going to write software that shuts them out of 85% of the market or more.  It's the same reason my relatively beefy GS3 is quite simply *never* using even a fraction of its power:  no one writes software for 10% of less of the market.  

Go and use a clean Android 4.3 device, or a CyanogenMod 10.2 (Android 4.3) device, and tell me that they arent every bit as good as an iPhone... and packed with features that are still ahead of iOS even with iOS7 factored in, because Apple's turnaround times on new features are abysmally slow.

#5 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 September 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

...or just disinterested.

I wish I could believe that now that Apple is through with their annual iPhone ballyhoo they would finally focus on the Mac and release the long overdue new models, but since that other touchscreen toy product line still has to be updated, I guess that's but a pipe dream...

Yep. More interested in a new iMac these days.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

I might have cared if an A7 iPod Touch with an iPhone camera, and maybe 128GB of storage appeared. It didn't. Sooo... I don't.

I'm about 100 times more interested in an A7-equipped retina iPad mini later this fall. Preparing to sell my mini soon in preparation. NO MORE STAIR STEPS ON MY TEXT, NO MORE JITTERY GAMES, HURRAH!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3814 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostAtticus, on 10 September 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

Apple usually announces new Macs in the fall (see also: new Mac Pro and probably updated Minis). Have faith!
Actually they don't.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

After reading up on the announcements, I'm even less impressed than before. So they released Fisher Price's "My First iPhone" as the fabled "low-cost" iPhone, which is unfortunately anything but that: without contract, the 5c starts at $550, which is only $100 less than the 5s, despite being last year's tech (that already was unimpressive back then) in an ugly plastic casing.

And I absolutely cannot wrap my head around the golden 5s. Is that some kind of acknowledgement that the iPhone is a favourite accessory for tasteless douche bags?

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 10 September 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

View PostAtticus, on 10 September 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

Actually they don't.
...which is true. Usually, the releases of new Macs were spread all over the year.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3814 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 September 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

And I absolutely cannot wrap my head around the golden 5s. Is that some kind of acknowledgement that the iPhone is a favourite accessory for tasteless douche bags?
Personally I like it. But I guess the main target is the kids that want bling, and China/India, where gold colored stuff is all the rage. After all, gold means power, and over there, power means everything.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#10 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 September 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

Now Apple can try to claim they have the gold standard in smart phones?

#11 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 10 September 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Actually they don't.

Man, you guys are crankier than my twin four-year-olds. Sheesh. Battle Cat!

I'm guessing they're will be a Mini refresh soon.

This bunch, of all people, should understand Apple isn't going to release an iPhone with a 20" screen that matches every single check box that the Galaxy 4SXIIIXVGSX-0013xt (or whatever it is the kids are using these days) has. Apple has never operated that way. During the press event, I think someone even said that they work on refining, not piling on features just because they should to compete against Brand X. That's a losing proposition.

That said, I do agree that improved battery life would've been a nice upgrade.

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3814 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostAtticus, on 11 September 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

Man, you guys are crankier than my twin four-year-olds. Sheesh. Battle Cat!
Cranky sees as cranky does? O_o -I don't see what is cranky about my post..

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostAtticus, on 11 September 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

I'm guessing they're will be a Mini refresh soon.
...except that updated MacBooks Pros and an actual release of the Mac Pro would be far more important.

This bunch, of all people, should understand Apple isn't going to release an iPhone with a 20" screen that matches every single check box that the Galaxy 4SXIIIXVGSX-0013xt (or whatever it is the kids are using these days) has. Apple has never operated that way. During the press event, I think someone even said that they work on refining, not piling on features just because they should to compete against Brand X. That's a losing proposition.
And I thought Apple's strength would be innovation.

#14 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

...and Mac Pros are coming, per Tim's announcement months ago, and then at WWDC. And who knows? There could be a MacBook Pro refresh, too. You just don't know....Apple doesn't always announce updates to the Mac line with fanfare (I know, I know, this also means Apple doesn't care about the Mac anymore).

Uber, I was making a general comment, so, no, you weren't being cranky. :-)

I guess I'm tired of all the Apple hate that seems to issue forth after every WWDC keynote or press event these days. I think people are spoiled because thanks to luck, really good timing, fate, the force of Jobs' personality, and other people making really bad decisions (I'm looking at you, music industry) Apple upended the music and mobile phone markets. Now, people expect that kind of disruption to happen every frickin' six months (looking at you Apple branded TV and "iWatch") and with every upgrade that's announced, and that's a very dangerous and unrealistic expectation to make going forward. It's unsustainable, even for a company as big and innovative as Apple. It's gotten to the point that if Apple doesn't announce the iRefrigerator, which will inevitably go on to revolutionize how we keep ham cold, or the iCoffeeMaker, or an iPhone that teleports hamsters, then the press and shareholders think Apple is doomed, should go out of business, and everyone associated with the company should commit suicide (hyperbole!).

The iPhone is now a mature product. The smartphone market is now a mature market. We just aren't going to see the radical changes we saw when everything was still uncharted. Improvements will be incremental. The user experience will be refined (like the fingerprint scanner). Competition will continue to increase. It's now an arms race, and Apple isn't fully participating, because that's never been its modus operandi.

Should Apple improve the iPhone's battery life, increase the screen size, bump up the memory, etc? Yes, and they probably will. Will Apple match Android/Samsung/etc phones feature for feature? Probably not. And if that makes you unhappy, then buy an Android phone (which sounds like you guys have done), and you'll have those features. In the meantime, Apple will continue to sell iPhones by the millions, and continue to make small improvements. And maybe at some point it will disrupt another market, or maybe won't ever again.

That being said/written, I think the 5C case (the accessory, not the body of the phone itself) is god awful and if Jobs saw it he'd probably fire everyone in the company. :-)

#15 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Teleporting hamsters is a bare minimum requirement for anything, not just iPhones.

--Eric

#16 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 11 September 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

And I thought Apple's strength would be innovation.

And that's kinda where i'm at.  
When i was talking iPhone/iOS vs Android, i wasnt even comparing it specifically to any feature list.  My Galaxy S3 doesn't really have any features that the iPhone doesn't other than Android itself and perhaps a screen that is actually a usable size.  The CPUs of both are in the "more than powerful enough" category.  Both have excellent cameras (the iPhone's is probably a bit better, at least in the 5S), both have decent batteries.  They both run the same apps or at least equivalents thereof.  

it's the core user experience that i was lamenting - where once Apple was king and paved the way and actually innovated, now they are playing years-behind catchup, and that is really, really sad.  Android is now the pace-setter, (and no, i dont mean the various manufacturer butchered versions.. .TouchWiz can go DIAF) with convenience features that are far ahead of iOS, and there's not really an excuse for it.  

So yeah, i lament that Apple has become an imitator and an iterator, instead of an innovator.  I expect better.

#17 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 10 September 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

It's just not that sensational.  Still a tiny screen.  Still cant customize anything.  Finally got some features that Android had 3 years ago.  

Woo-hoo.  

Ten hours of talk-time!  Big deal - i get more than that on my GS3, which is almost two years old at this point.  

Apple needs to realize that they are now pretty far behind the curve.  They are no longer innovating, merely iterating, and the iterations are tiny and not keeping up with the market.  

If they want me to consider an iPhone the next time i purchase a new cell phone, it needs to be bigger (no, not a freaking phablet, but at least as big as my wife's Galaxy Nexus or my GS3), have a better screen, better battery life, and the OS needs to have features i really want, like the ability to customize my OS experience - widgets (whatever iOS wants to call them) and a user-configurable number of icons per home-screen.  Simple things like the ability to swipe my menu bar at the top to adjust brightness on the fly without opening a single preference pane (something my GS3 already does).  

The hardware specs themselves, while nice and beefy, are also fairly irrelevant.  The Spec is Dead.  No one writing software is going to write software that shuts them out of 85% of the market or more.  It's the same reason my relatively beefy GS3 is quite simply *never* using even a fraction of its power:  no one writes software for 10% of less of the market.  

Go and use a clean Android 4.3 device, or a CyanogenMod 10.2 (Android 4.3) device, and tell me that they arent every bit as good as an iPhone... and packed with features that are still ahead of iOS even with iOS7 factored in, because Apple's turnaround times on new features are abysmally slow.

Not to rain on the parade, but you don't seem to get the iPhone very well. It's not a device that comes to you, you come to it. Android phones will always have more customizability and features, since they aren't really competing with the iPhone so much as they are competing with each other. If you like the way the iPhone does things: it's UI, its App Store, its Music, it's Screen Size, etc. then you get an iPhone. If you don't like it, don't get an iPhone. Apple isn't trying to cater to you, they're trying to cater to the "masses".

The iPhone hasn't released a groundbreaking feature in a long time (last major feature introduction was Siri with the 4S, and even that wasn't that innovative). What they have done is refined the features that are already there quite a bit so they work flawlessly. I've been running iOS 7 for months now, and it is a massive upgrade for iOS users. iOS 6 was an extremely ugly OS compared to Android offerings. It looked like it was from 2007. iOS 7 also brings some of the things you've been wanting, like quick access to settings changes and stuff. It's the visual refresh everyone wanted, with enough improvements to make your iPhone a lot better then it was on iOS 6. Compare that to iOS 6 which really didn't bring anything to the table other then Maps, and some tiny features like Do Not Disturb.

I don't think iPhone's are the perfect or best phone, but I think they do a near flawless job of what they're trying to do. I doubt an iPhone will be my next phone, since I'm sort of a power user who wants the features and customizability that Android is offering, but I can't recommend iPhone enough to everyone who either isn't that tech inclined (90% of everyone with a phone), or just doesn't care about customizing and whats a great phone that will be supported for years.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#18 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

The quick-settings thing is something even my Gingerbread phone had years ago; i was referring to simple features (some of which are Cyanogenmod and not stock Android) like being able to simply swipe the top bar for brightness (no menu of any kind - just swipe the bar to the right to increase brightness, swipe left to decrease); or pulling down the notifications center/quick options pane when i swipe down - except if i want to go straight to the actual settings menus, i can swipe down from the right corner (the clock) and do that.  

It's the little features.  Those kinds of features are the ones that Apple should have been leading the way on; it shouldnt be following.

#19 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 11 September 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

The quick-settings thing is something even my Gingerbread phone had years ago; i was referring to simple features (some of which are Cyanogenmod and not stock Android) like being able to simply swipe the top bar for brightness (no menu of any kind - just swipe the bar to the right to increase brightness, swipe left to decrease); or pulling down the notifications center/quick options pane when i swipe down - except if i want to go straight to the actual settings menus, i can swipe down from the right corner (the clock) and do that.  

It's the little features.  Those kinds of features are the ones that Apple should have been leading the way on; it shouldnt be following.

I agree, although I think in the Gingerbread days, iPhone was undoubtably the superior device due to its smoothness and speed. The iPhone 4 I think was Apple's peak in smartphone dominance. The retina screen, look, and performance of the phone made other smartphone's look and feel terrible to both hold, look at, and use. Since then it's been a downhill slope for apple. I seriously cannot understand why they don't implement more features. They're one of the largest, richest companies in the world, and yet they take a back seat role in smartphone innovation since about 2010
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#20 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 11 September 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

They're one of the largest, richest companies in the world, and yet they take a back seat role in smartphone innovation since about 2010

This is Apple, this has been their MO forever.... I question what features you guys actually want added?

Half the group is screaming "Ahhhhh bring us more new features that we don't know we want and we'll never use!!!" and the other half is screaming "Copy all the features!!!!"

If there is anything I've learned about expectations about Apple that's the best to approach these issues: Stop caring so much.

Apple will just do whatever they feel is the correct thing to maximize profits in the long run not what you want in a product.

Sure enough if a lot of people* INTERNALLY want something added it will get added but posts on forum are 100% ignored, so are most tech pundits.

* and only specific people within the company, most are ignored.