DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

Cats are always aloof. It's just their nature. I still love you anyway, despite my bad behavior.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#202 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

In other news, I am really excited about Microsoft bringing backward compatibility to a limited number of original XBox games this fall. Of the initial curated list of releases they have planned, I will be picking up digital editions as they release of: Morrowind, Jade Empire & KOTOR!

I never did finish Morrowind nor play either of its expansions. I was kind of tired of it after more than a hundred hours of exploration, various fun mods, carefully pulling the Vivec Treasury guards one by one and killing them so I could loot all the glass armor and other goodies there and more. It will be great fun to go back there and see the main quest through as well as the expansions. I really loved the game. Likewise, I enjoyed Jade Empire very much along with KOTOR. In each case I took the nice guy path but have wanted to revisit them to see how the mean guys live. I'm not sure what if anything else from that era would float my boat but those are really good ones for me.

The large selection of last generation games that run on the XBox One is a big plus to me also. I'm planning to settle in and play Oblivion GoTY starting tonight. I have been meaning to play it for ages and I am glad now that I never got to it because I so love being lazy while saving worlds from the comfort of my couch.

#203 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3324 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

Backwards compatibility on Xbox One is a really fantastic feature. I donít expect many people actually use it, but it is really great knowing that your game collection moves forward with you. Backwards compatibility has always been one of PC gamings best features in my opinion. Nice to see it moving onto consoles as well.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS High Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 8400 || Vega 56 || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
MiniITX Build: i3 8100 || 1060 3GB || 8 GB DDR4 || 480GB SSD || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone X 64GB

#204 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

I love my Xbox One but...

https://www.destruct...es-481877.phtml

Wow. Youíd think that something would have been learned from all the outrage and even lost revenue (Star Wars Battlefront II?) during the previous year of the loot boxes but NO!

Itís gonna be so awesome getting drops later on that speed up purchased downloads, grant exclusive DLC, make your games start faster and more! I am so excited about 2018! This is going to be amazing.

#205 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 12 January 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Wow. You'd think that something would have been learned from all the outrage and even lost revenue (Star Wars Battlefront II?) during the previous year of the loot boxes but NO!

It's gonna be so awesome getting drops later on that speed up purchased downloads, grant exclusive DLC, make your games start faster and more! I am so excited about 2018! This is going to be amazing.

The way I read this is they will be rewards for playing games you're already playing, no? No money required? Not sure where all the hate is coming from.
IMG Discord Server | | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#206 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 12 January 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Wow. You'd think that something would have been learned from all the outrage and even lost revenue (Star Wars Battlefront II?) during the previous year of the loot boxes but NO!

It's gonna be so awesome getting drops later on that speed up purchased downloads, grant exclusive DLC, make your games start faster and more! I am so excited about 2018! This is going to be amazing.

I mean, they sort of have been learning. It makes money. Even the outrage against Battlefront 2 only made EA turn off the MTX temporarily, they'll be coming back because they make money. The internet is a minority, no matter how outraged we get, a lot of people will still be dropping their wallets.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone here plays FIFA, but even if you don't you should read this post https://www.reddit.c...ref_source=link
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#207 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 January 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

The way I read this is they will be rewards for playing games you're already playing, no? No money required? Not sure where all the hate is coming from.

I was just having a laugh about it in terms of the going with loot boxes for the little perks that arenít bad in my eyes. Of all ways to do this thing, going with loot boxes and calling them loot boxes just seemed really dumb. As for the rest of it, itís probably fine. I guess a loot box by any other name is still a loot box but from a PR standpoint it didnít strike me as a wise choice given the stigma associated with the term in many gamers minds at this point. Any hate reaction out there I imagine to be a knee jerk thing which I see Iíve just done too but not out of any anger. I found it funny myself.

#208 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

View Postipickert55, on 12 January 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

EDIT: I don't know if anyone here plays FIFA, but even if you don't you should read this post https://www.reddit.c...ref_source=link

I just read the entire thing. The best of it came in the summary at the end. What he proposes there is pretty much what I am doing here. For some examples:

When I see IAPs for iOS anything, I immediately move on unless I know it is likely to be something reasonable like a game expansion, etc. Then I will look at them. If I see gems, coins or whatever my game over screen comes up instantly.

When I see loot boxes and/or micro transactions in a console game with rare exception it instantly disappears from my radar. I say with rare exception because I will bother for certain titles to see what they did and if I find it acceptable or not. Itís good that I donít bother with this exercise often because I cannot recall it being acceptable to me since LoTRO on PC and ultimately that got screwed up too.

I will buy some games with multiplayer loot boxes when my interest is only in the single player game which in these cases would almost never merit a full price purchase. I wait for these to fall into the ten to twenty range. Iím thinking of COD here in particular.

All the big name publishers with the AAA money extraction games deliberately designed around this simply donít get my money. No game is good enough to get away with that, not even EverQuest. I just wonít do it. I like Hearthstone but I rarely play and havenít dropped a dime on it. Screw you Activision. I wanted to screw around in ESO but not once I found out that even after a full price purchase basic functionality is behind a paywall. Screw you Zenimax. I did my homework on ESO and quickly lost interest again for a lot of reasons. I could go on.... pick your EA, Activision, Ubisoft, MMO, etc. poison.

When the f2p model invades the full price AAA market featuring $100. gold editions just to buy the complete game we are well past enough is enough. There is no excuse for this that works for me, period.

On a bright note, the envelope has been pushed too far now and I donít think built in gambling via loot box purchases can survive for a lot of reasons, some of which get into territory we donít do here. Seeing the epic fail that is Star Wars Battlefront II is in one way a beautiful thing. Maybe thatís going to help the situation a little.

By the way, thanks EA for letting me play some stuff I wanted to for less than 5 bucks per game. Sorry about having to cancel and not be around for all the upsell. Itís nothing personal, just business.

#209 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

The only game I buy keys for crates in is Rocket League because:

A: That game is wholly complete without them, the crates are filled with only cosmetic items and that's totally alright.

B: That company is friggin awesome and that game is awesome too. I have like 700 hours put into it and I'm still never bored, I love that game and company, and so supporting it beyond the original asking price seems okay to me.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#210 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2561 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 12 January 2018 - 09:31 PM, said:

When I see IAPs for iOS anything, I immediately move on unless I know it is likely to be something reasonable like a game expansion, etc. Then I will look at them. If I see gems, coins or whatever my game over screen comes up instantly.
I'd like to understand your distinctions. If there's IAP you won't play the game, or you'll play but ignore the purchases?
How do you feel about ads?
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#211 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 13 January 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'd like to understand your distinctions. If there's IAP you won't play the game, or you'll play but ignore the purchases?
How do you feel about ads?

Iíll work backwards here. I might look at something ad supported and buy out the ads if I find the cost reasonable but I think I have only done that once for a weather app I liked. I donít have any objection to this even when ads are intrusive because I donít mind paying for any worthwhile software I want to use. This would only be an issue for me if I had no option to just buy an ad free version.

The kind of IAP I used as an example, gems, coins or whatever does mean I wonít even look at it. I guess good clear examples of what I am fine with would be Feral releasing two expansions to Rome: Total War or Aspyr later releasing dlc content or expansions to CIV VI, both of which technically are IAPs but I see these an entirely reasonable.

What I really take issue with is anything designed from the ground up for ongoing money extraction, being nickeled and dimed for something badly designed to begin with.

Getting away from iOS but on the same general theme, what could be fantastic games if the developers had their way, I am thinking AAA here, are ruined by corporate greed and Star Wars Battlefront II is a perfect example of this. Once they turned off the gambling which is so intertwined with progression in that game it became crystal clear how broken the design is without a lot of added consumer spending which was still a crapshoot even on a good day. The game is broken beyond repair and there is no cure because it was built on a money extraction design doomed to failure. Itís a classic case of corporate suits being clueless about the customers they serve. Nothing can save that broken disaster now.

Itís sad too how developers are left holding the bag and taking the blame when I suspect itís out of their hands. I cannot imagine the suckage that would be working for any company published by EA, Activision or Ubisoft among others. I donít think DICE, Bungie and others are the villains in this stuff but they often get the hate they probably donít deserve aside of guilt by association I guess.

I do ultimately see a light at the end of the tunnel though when publishers begin reacting to consumer outrage. People are starting to vote with their wallets in larger numbers or at the minimum publishers are trying to avoid this when we see companies like Microsoft order Forza 7 be fixed or EA temporarily turn off loot boxes for damage control while they try to figure out how to fix the mess they made. It looks like EA wants to be regarded as the worst company in America again. They must be in the running.

All of this has caused me to rethink how I used to view kickstarter projects. I can better understand why people will take chances on well intentioned projects by smaller companies wanting to craft quality entertainment without corporate constraints imposed on them along with various other equally valid reasons. Iíd rather gamble on some decent people trying to make something good than preorder the next steaming pile of whatever out of EA, not that I ever preorder anything anyway but thatís yet another topic and Iíve already rambled on too much about stuff you didnít ask me to. Sorry!

#212 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2561 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the detail. I personally don't like ads but they seem like a necessary evil at this point, at least for iOS.. (I asked because I'm planning on rereleasing my old iOS game and I'm deciding how to monetize it. The old way (free "lite" version, plus a paid full version) stopped working. Changing to IAP would be the logical step but most people I ask sound happier playing a free game with ads.)
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#213 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:53 AM

A game that I must play because, kittens!

#214 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17556 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

I have a restraining order to stay away from kittens otherwise hell yeah.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#215 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17556 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 16 July 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

Cats are always aloof. It's just their nature. I still love you anyway, despite my bad behavior.

Hey I'm not aloof!  I'm simply better than alla you monkey folk.  There's a difference.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#216 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 22 February 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

Hey I'm not aloof!  I'm simply better than alla you monkey folk.  There's a difference.

Oh, right. So sorry about that. Now if you will excuse me I think Iíll go have some fun with my opposable thumbs. Oh, Iím sorry... you donít have... aww... poor kitty.

#217 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17556 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

Posted Image
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#218 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 22 February 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

Oh, right. So sorry about that. Now if you will excuse me I think I'll go have some fun with my opposable thumbs. Oh, I'm sorry... you don't have... aww... poor kitty.
Yeah, I used to joke about how cats can't manage a can opener, but then I remembered they can rip open my abdomen and feast on my soft entrails, so I continue to open the cans for them.