47 replies to this topic

#1 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

It's that time of year. Perhaps a bit more exciting this year as it'll be the first without good old Scotty Forstall (R.I.P), I can see big things on the software front this time round and potentially big things in the Mac space. What are all of your predictions for Monday? Here's some of mine, obvious ones excluded...
  • Something Special for Interface Design: I feel Sir. Ive's takeover of the interface means a little more for Apple software than GUI. We will see some of the biggest changes to the way we use at least iOS since it was first introduced, not simply the way it looks (100% hot on this)
  • Mac Pro 2.0: The Mac Pro refresh is not certain here, if it is the computer being manufactured in the US, then I have a feeling  manufacturing may not be yet ready to go to market, Apple will not announce this mac only to have customers wait 4 months for it to ship... they've waited long enough. If we do see it I don't see that it will be that radically different (nope no paradigm shift here). It will simply fall in line with the rest of the Mac Linup (thunderbolt, no Firewire), it will be expandable, it will have a superdrive, it may not be a rip off. (50-60% hot on this)
  • New Thunderbolt display: Even thinner than the iMac, new manufacturing process to bring it in line with the iMac (90% hot on this badboy)
  • Big Macbook news: A shuffle of the MacBook lineup. Macbook Pro axed and new products in the retina and air range (80% hot on this)
  • 11" rMBP and beefier rMBP: A makeover to the MacBook lineup that sees only two types of MacBook: Pro and Air. Air is priced more competitively, low-mid tier discrete GPU's in some of the 13" rMBP's, an 11" MacBook Pro (Don't know why, but i'm RLY% hot on this)

What crazy predictions have you???

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

I don't have many predictions, but a lot of I hope for.

First of all, an OS X update that finally brings again some significant advances and features for power users. Lion was pretty much a disaster, Mountain Lion was mainly good because it fixed most of the things Lion broke. OS X is by and large stagnant since at least Snow Leopard, if not Leopard.

Secondly, new Macs for all model lines. The last model line that got a minimal update were the Retina MacBooks in February, and even those are outdated.

Thirdly, a focus on the Mac. I stopped giving the slightest bit of a crap about the overpriced iToys, so I don't want to see 90 minutes of the 2 hours wasted on these. But I guess that will remain but a dream... :pinkpony:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

I'd like an OS that is as bug less as Snow Leopard was. Lion and ML have been a mess for me. And I would like a uniform UI.

iOS works fine for me as it is, so no wishes there.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

I predict that Steve Ballmer will paint himself red and burst through a wall in the auditorium while screaming, "Oh yeah!" before he collapses from the wounds he sustained while bursting through the wall.
Other than that, I think we will see a new Mac Pro, some promotional discussion about manufacturing in America, slight chance of an iPhone 5S, and maybe the iTreadmill.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

I predict that at the end of WWDC, just as the last speaker signs off, the floor of the presentation stage will crack open and a zombie Steve Jobs will claw his way out of the ground to say, "Just one more thing."  but he will be splattered into paste before he can say anything by everybody who foresaw this and brought shotguns.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I have no predictions beyond haswell macs and Ive's new look (but it'll be a lot less dramatic than what people think/hope.) as for my desires, I'll paste this from my blog:

iOS

Jonathan Ive's new look. This has practically been guaranteed by Tim Cook. I expect an iTunes 11/ Podcasts (the latest version) -style makeover. Glossy things will be completely gone, including the effect over app icons. Linen (though I actually like it) will vanish, Leather (which I hate) will as well.
A better home screen. I donít think the icon view should go away, but there needs to be another view option. It worked well when there were no third party apps; not so much anymore. I donít have any photoshop skills, so bear with me: Remove a row of icons from the home screen. Replace with a search box (that looks like Launchpad's) and a button to toggle between icon and list view.
With space freed up in Notification Center, add quick toggles at the top for Wifi, LTE, and Bluetooth.
The left of the home screen would now become the Dashboard, with API support for developers. Dashboard apps could be shown on the lock screen, if desired.
Better Inter-app communication, especially regarding files. Not saying that there should be a file system, but Apps should be able to ďseeĒ any files that it can open, not just files that it created.
AirDrop support, or some way to more easily transfer files between iOS devices. I believe the iPhone 5 has Wifi Direct support, so this is possible.
Gatekeeper. Keep the App Store model, but let me download non-sanctioned apps from the web.
Auto-updating option for apps. (This would make John McCain happy.)
Overhauled App Store to make discovery easier. The iOS 6 update was a step backwards; the cards have to go, or a list view should be added.
Update Siri to display your words as you speak, like Googleís implementation.
Get rid of the dock and replace it with recently used apps. Re-introduce double tap for Favorites.
Group FaceTime Chat.
Text button in Facetime, to easily send a FaceTime caller a URL or address.
User accounts for the iPad.

OS X:

Replace Preview with iBooks, keeping all current PDF features. Sync via iCloud.
New design cues taken from iTunes 11. At the very least, color should come back to the finder sidebar. The last vestiges of glossy Aqua should vanish, in favor of matte iLife-style equivalents. Helvetica should replace Lucida Grande. Like iOS, terrible skeuomorphic interfaces should disappear (Notes, Contacts, Calendar, GameCenter).
Remaining omissions from iOS: Maps, Siri (And to go along with this, smaller touches to more align iOS with OS X, such as renaming System Preferences to Settings.)
Tabs in finder (I use Total Finder for this now.)
Auto-app updating, as well as the ability to dismiss update reminders for good.
Better multi-monitor support (I donít have multiple monitors, but I know this is a popular concern for many people.)
A new, modern file system with ZFS-like features.
A graphical way to configure a Fusion Drive.
Anything Apple can do to help reduce the performance gap between Windows and OS X in regards to games, Iíd love to see.
Kill automatic termination.
Update Dictation to display text as you type.
A more-reliable Safari that doesnít give me that dreaded dialog box to reload all my tabs (I know, Iím asking for a lot here.)
In general, a more reliable iCloud, with a rethought document sync model. iCloud view should also not use iOS-style folders. Columns view, please.
A relaxation on sandboxing rules, or at least the addition of many more APIs to replace missing functionality. Games that rely on custom open/save dialog boxes, for example, should not be forced to put their save files in user/Library/Containers/ (which is invisible by default!)

Finally, for both iOS and OS X, add more Steam-like features to GameCenter, including in-game voice/ text chat support.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Already quote of the day: "We don't want to be delayed due to a dwindling supply of cats."

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

OS X 10.9 will be called "Mavericks", which is supposed to have something to do with California. I don't get it... :huh:

Finder will support tabs and tags (yay! power user feature!) and multi-display support will be better. Plus other stuff, like better energy saving functions.

Apple also seems to have done away with Myriad Pro and now uses what appears to be Helvetica for their brand names. Truth to be told: it looks a lot like Microsoft's font design lately...

Oh, right: what they have shown so far looks pretty much like Lion/Mountain Lion, so no huge "flat" OS X redesign.

#9 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

OpenGL 4 finally!!!
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image

"Ur" as element symbol for Uranium? Seriously?!?? :angry:

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Automatic updates for apps, push notifications on the Mac, Maps (uh...), Keychain now aspires to compete fully with 1Password, iBooks for Mac and... the skeuomorphic design is indeed dead!! :finger:

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

New MacBook Airs with Haswell ULT, faster graphics, 802.11ac, better battery lifetime and (slightly) lower price.

And now... Mac Pro! ("First glimpse" only, though, so not available too soon.)

It's... a cylinder?!

Posted Image

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yeeaahh, okaay...

Posted Image

New generation Intel Xeon, dual AMD FirePro graphics, ridiculously fast Flash storage (1.25GBps read, 1.0GBps write)... and indeed no internal expandability. :glare: Everything has to be attached externally via one of its six Thunderbolt 2 ports.

New iWork versions... finally!!

In addition, iWork for iCloud, working right in the browser.

#14 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Mavericks listed OpenGL 4 support

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Okay, iOS bla, bla, bla...

OS X 10.9 looks definitely promising, a new version of iWork was long overdue, as was the Mac Pro overhaul. I'm just not sure it's really what the Pro users wanted...

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 June 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

the Mac Pro overhaul. I'm just not sure it's really what the Pro users wanted...

That would be me and no, it's not what I wanted.  They should call it the iMac Pro.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well, it's over. Overall, pretty impressed. Biggest disappointment: No drive bays in the Mac Pro (Did they really need to make it that small?) Should've called it the Cube...er, Cylinder. And I'm guessing the dual GPUs cannot be upgraded.

But the power user features in Mavericks (wish they'd gone with constallation names, but whatever) are thrilling to see. The new iOS is sexy as hell (except for those icons!) and it makes OS X look very dated. I bet 10.10 gives us a new iOS-inspired UI. (But at least they got rid of the leather!)

#18 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

The only iOS 7 icon I looked at and thought "WTF?!" was the driving one. neon green and steering wheel? Fugly as hell. They could also replace the camera icon, yuck. But overall, pretty damn impressed as a type guy.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#19 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

iOS 7 really looks very different. That Photos and GameCenter now have some very similar looking coloured blobs as icons wasn't the best choice in my opinion. I'm surprised that it still runs on the iPhone 4, but then again most changes seem to be user interface related. Still not sure whether I would update my iPhone 4 with it (I'm still running iOS 5).

The new multitasking manager is almost to 100% a copy of Android's and the overall look reminds me of Windows 8 (mainly due to the font). So much for innovation.

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

:lol: Sweet. The "Safari Power Saver" is actually some kind of Flash blocker, similar like the ClickToFlash extension.

While more than sceptical about the new Mac Pro, the corresponding webpage is actually very cool. (On a sidenote: the GPUs are almost for sure not changeable, the memory modules on the other hand look as if it is possible to replace them – when you can open the casing.)

And I just realised something else: there's no Apple logo on the Mac Pro. (There's one hidden on the back, but it's barely visible on the Mac Pro product page.)