#21 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

I agree with Frigidman.  

He's not ignoring them - he's telling you that those features are meaningless to him.  Therefore, they provide him no meaningful reason to upgrade of any kind.  Same goes with me.  My MediaCenter Mini (The first of the new body type, the Core2Duo machine that still had a DVD drive in it) is still running 10.6, because its more lightweight, slimmer and doesn't pack a bunch of bullpopsnizzle "features" that make the OS work counter-intuitively.  

Why do i need offline reading in Safari with iCloud support when i can just use the VASTLY superior Chrome?  (Which does everything Safari does, better, faster and more stylishly - AND syncs across my iPad, my Galaxy S3, my gaming PC, my Media Center Mini, and the Mini im using to type this)

Neither one of us games on our Macs - so the extra OpenGL is largely useless, as i dont think either of us are pro graphics guys either, where OpenGL might matter.  

Apps saving states infuriates me.  I dont understand why people could possibly think that is a "good feature" to be proud of.  Every time i open Microsoft Office on this Mini (which, unfortunately, i cannot roll back to 10.6 as it shipped with 10.7) and a BAJILLION FREAKING WINDOWS open up (even though i hand-closed ALL OF THEM before shutting the App down) i want to drive to California and strangle whatever idiot Apple dev thought this was a "good feature".  Same goes with Preview.  Im just trying to open up that PDF i just downloaded - but for whatever reason i get six more that i was reading last week.  It isn't progressive - its just annoying.  I want to shut it off.  

I want "Save As" back.  This "save a version" bullcrap is just that - bullcrap.  (I understand this sorta made a comeback in 10.8 - but still not really, as it is just "save a copy" - and the OS still stores a dozen versions of the same document in the one file, inflating file sizes needlessly).  I dont want or need this feature.  It isn't helping me - in fact, having to tell the OS/Application that it is "OK" to edit a file i just opened because i had the temerity to let it sit for more than four days is just stupidity at work.  I OPENED THE DAMN THING, OF COURSE I WANT TO EDIT IT.  Otherwise, id have opened it in PREVIEW, you moron computer!

AirDrop? Not a compelling reason to upgrade. Dropbox is better in just about every way, even for local sharing.  Or just a single applescript to mount network drives at bootup.  That's what i do with the 6TB of RAID storage attached to the MediaCenter Mini.  Find My Mac?  Bleh.  Dont lose your freaking COMPUTER.  If it gets stolen, there are a LOT better apps to use to track down the thief.  Find My Mac would be my last choice.  

iCloud?  Dropbox.  GoogleDrive.  Both far superior.  GoogleDrive even lets me store and use my music, if i want.  And i dont have to pay for it.  My Dropbox account (all 50GB of it) costs me like 20$ a YEAR.  It integrates with my iPhoto library, popping photos i take with my Galaxy S3 right into my iPhoto Library - just like if i had an iPhone.. except i dont have to use an iPhone or iCloud.  And it works on 10.6.  And PCs.  And Android.  And iOS.  

I MAY upgrade to 10.9 if they manage to do some of the iOS7 "flattening"/"streamlining" of the look of the OS and kill some of the features i hated about 10.7 and 10.8.. otherwise, ill continue to use 10.6 on my Media Center until there is an application or service i need that wont run on it (which looks to be 4-5 years out, at least, when ill likely be replacing the thing anyway), run 10.6 on my wifes iMac C2D 2.0Ghz until it doesnt run an application she needs (even longer - she uses... Chrome.  Skype.  VLC).  

There hasn't been a single compelling "must have" feature for a consumer-user (as opposed to a power user who does work that requires OpenGL to be up to date, or the like) to make them want to upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8.  10.6 with a few third party apps can literally do everything 10.8 can that any normal user would want, and by and large those 3rd party applications do the jobs BETTER than the Apple versions in 10.7/8 (like Chrome and Dropbox, just for starters).

#22 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 05 July 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Apps saving states infuriates me. ... I want to shut it off.
You know you can? With a single click? That was probably the first thing I disabled when I had to switch to Lion, along with that bloody "natural" scrolling.

By and large, I agree with you and Frigidman: the last OS X updates where more than disappointing. Lion was the worst thing to happen to the Mac since, well, I don't know – probably since ever. Mountain Lion is mainly agreeable to me since it rolled back many of the (for me) most aggravating sins of Lion.

Autosave, Resume and Versions were among the most idiotic ideas Apple ever had. Thankfully, I mostly use programs that do not have these "features" enabled (or I turned them off, see above), so they don't bother me much. Launchpad is as useful as a hole in the head. Mission Control is a step backward from the old Exposé and Spaces (though ML made it somewhat useable again). I can see the usefulness of Airdrop, but only makes sense when you are working in a mainly Mac environment  – which I don't. I never used any cloud services (and probably never will), so iCloud is also useless for me. Twitter and Facebook can kiss my arse, so I don't give a single crap about their integration.

The few features that sounded interesting in ML turned out to be less useful than expected. The Notification Center is okay, but I wouldn't miss it when it would vanish tomorrow and the Game Center is far from living up to its potential.

But, I do game under OS X – not counting my PS3 and my 3DS almost exclusively –, so I benefit from the improved OpenGL. And truth to be told, that's almost everything.

I'm not convinced that will really change with 10.9. It's nice to see they added some more "power-user" features like tabbed browsing in the Finder, but I'm not sure whether I will touch any of those. (The tabbed Finder for instance is useless for me, since I still use and prefer the good old spatial way of file managing – one folder, one window.) I'm unsure about the upcoming power saving features: since I work almost exclusively on a laptop, so I might benefit from an improved battery life time, but somehow I have the feeling that they might be potential for a major technological disaster. The continuing roll-back of Lion's improvement for the worse is something to look forward to, though. (Farewell, skeuomorphism! Don't come back!) Bottom line: so far I'm probably only along for the ride for the improved OpenGL again.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#23 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

OpenGL 4 is reason enough to upgrade to Mavericks and Finder tabs should have been implemented into OS X many years ago. I'm very glad they're finally coming. Everyone that used ForkLift or other finder alternatives might agree. I hope they finally fix Spotlight. It was unusable in Lion and is still not working properly in ML. Network search can be a pain in the ass on OS X.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#24 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

Networking in general is extremely slow. Hos can i be on a g network, yet it takes 10 seconds to list a folder with 5 files in it? At least it is nowhere nesr as unstable as under Lion anymore.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#25 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 05 July 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Why do i need offline reading in Safari with iCloud support when i can just use the VASTLY superior Chrome?  (Which does everything Safari does, better, faster and more stylishly - AND syncs across my iPad, my Galaxy S3, my gaming PC, my Media Center Mini, and the Mini im using to type this)

I really don't think Chrome is superior at all, anyway reading list and iCloud panel are a nice addition. Don't you use it? Nobody care, all my friends use it.

Neither one of us games on our Macs - so the extra OpenGL is largely useless, as i dont think either of us are pro graphics guys either, where OpenGL might matter.  
New OpenGL and especially faster OpenGL are always welcome!

Apps saving states infuriates me.  I dont understand why people could possibly think that is a "good feature" to be proud of.  Every time i open Microsoft Office on this Mini (which, unfortunately, i cannot roll back to 10.6 as it shipped with 10.7) and a BAJILLION FREAKING WINDOWS open up (even though i hand-closed ALL OF THEM before shutting the App down) i want to drive to California and strangle whatever idiot Apple dev thought this was a "good feature".  Same goes with Preview.  Im just trying to open up that PDF i just downloaded - but for whatever reason i get six more that i was reading last week.  It isn't progressive - its just annoying.  I want to shut it off.  
Just close the app with the red X, cmd-q save state, just close the app by closing its windows, then quit if you don't need it open. You can disable this feature. Many times it comes very handy at work, saved tons of work but i agree most time can be useless.

I want "Save As" back.  This "save a version" bullcrap is just that - bullcrap.  (I understand this sorta made a comeback in 10.8 - but still not really, as it is just "save a copy" - and the OS still stores a dozen versions of the same document in the one file, inflating file sizes needlessly).  I dont want or need this feature.  It isn't helping me - in fact, having to tell the OS/Application that it is "OK" to edit a file i just opened because i had the temerity to let it sit for more than four days is just stupidity at work.  I OPENED THE DAMN THING, OF COURSE I WANT TO EDIT IT.  Otherwise, id have opened it in PREVIEW, you moron computer!
Versioning is a welcome addition, much more better than "save as". It is only matter of time, you will get used to this.

AirDrop? Not a compelling reason to upgrade. Dropbox is better in just about every way, even for local sharing.  Or just a single applescript to mount network drives at bootup.  That's what i do with the 6TB of RAID storage attached to the MediaCenter Mini.  Find My Mac?  Bleh.  Dont lose your freaking COMPUTER.  If it gets stolen, there are a LOT better apps to use to track down the thief.  Find My Mac would be my last choice.  
Are you completely crazy? Probably you don't know what Airdrop does! It doesn't use your Wifi or internet connection, it uses your Wifi N triple antenna to make a direct transfer between macs! I use it every week, when i send or receive files from my workmates or my girl we always use Airdrop, it is faster than using a USB pen or even hardrive! And you do that without cables! You are speaking about thing you don't know have a clue.

iCloud?  Dropbox.  GoogleDrive.  Both far superior.  GoogleDrive even lets me store and use my music, if i want.  And i dont have to pay for it.  My Dropbox account (all 50GB of it) costs me like 20$ a YEAR.  It integrates with my iPhoto library, popping photos i take with my Galaxy S3 right into my iPhoto Library - just like if i had an iPhone.. except i dont have to use an iPhone or iCloud.  And it works on 10.6.  And PCs.  And Android.  And iOS.  
Dropbox is overrated, iCloud is a different thing, it is a backup and sync not a cloud drive. You are speaking about yourself, virtually every persons i know LOVES iCloud. I work in a shop and iCloud is one of the best features ever. ANd it doens't have anything to do with photos or streaming photos.

And there are a lot of other things which are awesome since 10.7 on, but if you really think what you wrote.... probably for you it is trash.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#26 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Someone who doesn't use Mountain Lion is never going to convince someone who likes it that it wasn't worth $30, and I'm not sure why they'd want to try. And apparently the reverse is also true.

Neither of you has any need to justify your decision to the other. This discussion is starting to go in circles. I suggest we move on.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Let's put them in a big bottle and shake them up to see if they fight.  1,000 Quatloos on the newcomer!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'd just like to mention that Versions don't increase file sizes. The versions are saved elsewhere. Versions saved my ass a couple of times and I love it. Way better than save as.
It's good that people at Cupertino are trying to move away from the old concept of manual saving.
It remains useful when you're experimenting on a file. You can still save a particular state and revert to it at any time.

Version probably uses hard drive space. But again, you don't have to care about technical details. The OS does it for you and manages versions. Focus on your work.