10 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

I have an old MDD G4 (single 1Ghz Processor, 1.5GB of RAM) that i was seeking to rehabilitate.  

I just installed a stable build of Ubuntu (12.04.2) on it, and after jumping away from the default Unity Window Manager to Lubuntu (far more lightweight) the system feels snappy and useful again.

Here's the problem:

There doesn't seem to be a single up-to-date browser for PPC Linux out there... and neither does there seem to be one for PPC Macs, severely limiting my use of this machine.

I wanted to use it when we were on the road as an info terminal for our game rooms, but without a modern web browser, it will be *extremely* limited in this regard.  I'm also having a lot of issues actually installing software (i'd love to get VLC on it) - which is a real shame since Ubuntu 13+ has VASTLY simplified this (ive been playing with it in a VMWare VM) and is almost like a clone of OSX in this regard - just click install and bam the software installs.  Version 12 and earlier still has a lot of the Linux baggage of being hard to puzzle out and work with, it seems.  

Anyone have any ideas, or should i just ship this old bird down the Craigslist road?

#2 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Would running a browser in a VM/emulator like Qemu work?

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hmm, maybe.  The performance hit would probably render it into a painful experience.  Only have a 1Ghz G4 under the hood, after all, but ill look into it.

#4 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

http://ubuntuforums....d.php?t=1382096

Seems to be a brute-force way to run a minimal X86 VM/emulator + wine, but there's probably a better way.

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8086 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

A recent version of Firefox for PPC Macs is available: TenFourFox.

A ready-made version for PPC Linux does in fact not seem to exist, but as far as I understand that, it should be possible to compile it for yourself.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

TenFourFox (i have it installed on OSX-side) doesn't support modern flash or, it seems, most HTML5 video codecs.  It was my first thought.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8086 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 02 June 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

TenFourFox (i have it installed on OSX-side) doesn't support modern flash or, it seems, most HTML5 video codecs.  It was my first thought.
I doubt you will find any browser for PPC Macs that does support current flash versions, since this is obviously dependent on by Adobe – and they don't support PPC Macs anymore.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

Its less about Flash and more about HTML5.  

If it was as capable as an iOS browser, that'd be fine.

#9 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:03 AM

Perhaps, I should post this in its own post, but I'm getting an Alienware laptop and I'd love to know if there is a way to run Mac OS on it without too much trouble. I don't mind downloading and installing software, but am not going to change out hardware, etc. Here's the specific model.

I know I will be able to do what I want in windows (word processing, web browsing) and thanks to steam will have a lot of games ready to download, but also know windows has its own share of headaches, namely often nonintuitive features and viruses.

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

View Postchoiceweb0pen0, on 07 April 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

Perhaps, I should post this in its own post, but I'm getting an Alienware laptop and I'd love to know if there is a way to run Mac OS on it without too much trouble. I don't mind downloading and installing software, but am not going to change out hardware, etc. Here's the specific model.

I know I will be able to do what I want in windows (word processing, web browsing) and thanks to steam will have a lot of games ready to download, but also know windows has its own share of headaches, namely often nonintuitive features and viruses.

The folks at http://www.tonymacx86.com might be able to help, but in my experience laptops are a bit of a pickle. It's easy to get all the right parts for a hackintosh desktop build but getting supported parts in a laptop is dicey.

/me has only setup one hackintosh in his day so I may be out of the loop on recent developments.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#11 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, that looks promising and I see someone asked nearly the same question with a 15" Alienware laptop.