#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Now, that looks interesting. Has someone played the iOS version of that game?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

No, but I've been tempted.  I wonder how the Mac version will stack up.  It can't help but suffer in comparison to desktop-native games, being an iOS port as it is.  Let's hope that it's good enough to overcome that.  I wonder if it has iCloud saving between this and the mobile version.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#3 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

It's a Unity game, so it's not really "an iOS port" as such.

--Eric

#4 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

What I mean is that, since it was created originally for iOS, it is not going to be as grand as a game designed specifically for a desktop PC, neither in size/depth or graphical splendor.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#5 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have played through the entire game, side quests and all, and here is my review of the game which I posted to Mac App Store. Just for reference, I am still leveling up and playing the game, even after I finished it. But please remember that this is just my stupid opinion.

------------------------------------

It May Be Buggy and Glitchy, But Worth The Price of Admission   4/5 Stars

OK, let me preface this review with a quick statement…. no, this game is not as in depth or as polished as Oblivion/Skyrim though it is obviously inspired by it. But you know what… Having played through the entire game, sidequests and all, it is still quite fun to play and even to look at in some respects. I think I had lowered my expectations when I saw this game had been reworked for Mac. The game was great on iOS, but a lot of that has to do with the expectations of the hardware. It could be said that Ravensword: Shadowlands is a great technical achievement on iOS, but a bit of a technical mishap on OSX. No matter what though, the game is a good deal for $12.99 USD in my opinion. Let's get into the review categories.

GRAPHICS
OK, there are points of the game at which the vistas look great and easily impress. You have to remember that this game is an iOS game reworked for the Mac. With that in mind, you may have a fresh approach to Ravensword: Shadowloands. You can change the draw distance which will help the game on some slower Macs. With this draw distance all the way up, you can see quite far, but you still see some draw-in in the distance. But it does not really affect the gameplay. A bunch of strange things do appear throughout the game though. A lot of glitches, walking through walls, missing polygonal edges, floating trees and other objects, strange objects high in the sky in South Aven, and some others. But if you can look past these, there is a lot to enjoy in the graphics department. Normal mapping is used to its fullest in the environments, creatures and people of the Ravensword universe which does make the game look more next-gen, or in this case, present-gen. But all in all the graphics do their job.

SOUND
The soundtrack is very well done for a smaller game. The music fits the atmosphere at most times, but does feel strange sometimes in certain circumstances. The creatures all have the sounds you would probably expect. There is some voice-over work for the NPC's, but most of the dialogue throughout the game is text. It would have been great to have this enhanced for the Mac version, but understandably, this would have been almost impossible and cost more. The weapon sounds are well done, but a bit shallow. The ambient sounds are also well done in some areas and others seem a bit too bland. This is where the music can help out.

GAMEPLAY
This is where some people will be having a problem. I will try my best to project the gameplay issues realistically. The gameplay in Ravensword is in broad scope, fine. But the little details are definitely missed here. It is very easy to get around, fight and traverse the landscapes. But you will find that some strange things can happen. I have walked through walls and fallen through others, jumped my way up a mountain just to fall through a false floor and I have even been stuck inside a Dino Cow after killing it. Yes, these are the things you will encounter when playing Ravensword for OSX. One issue that has followed from the iOS version is the loot waiting time. After killing a creature, you have to wait a few seconds, sometimes 3-5 seconds for the green loot effect to become visible letting you know that you can now loot your fallen enemy. This may seem like only an annoyance, but when you are slaying creatures quickly, it really causes an issue. You will find yourself killing a group of enemies first, then returning to loot them almost in the order you killed them to get the best timing. And this does work well if you can get it right. Also, the inventory menu, in which you can equip and enhance your character and his items, is poorly done. Clicking and dragging to find items is not very efficient in this case. Also, there are times where items will overlap each other in the menu causing some initial frustration. One other point here is the "buying a home" portion of the game. If you want to do everything in the game, you can buy a home and even furnish it. I did this and found it to be very disappointing. Dropping the items and moving them is not practical and should have been addressed in my opinion. But it is a side project in the game, so it is something that can be forgiven.

STORY
The story of Ravensword, though fairly basic, is well done. The side quests, though smaller in scope, are a nice diversion from the main quest and there are quite a few of them to keep you busy. I found myself wanting to finish the current quest to get to the next one. The storytelling is not very in-depth, but it gets the job done. I was interested to know what happened and what was going to happen next.

OVERALL
For the $12.99 USD price tag, you get a game that tries to emulate what some other RPG's have successfully portrayed. It does that, but in a very limited role. I could not give this game five stars as I do not believe it warrants it, but it definitely earns the four in my opinion. There is a lot to like in Ravensword: Shadowlands, but there is a lot that could have been much better. With a bit more time and polish, this OSX port could be a very good game. In its current released state, the game is a nice Oblivion/Skyrim wannabe that I think you will enjoy. Just be careful where you explore or you may end up falling through the ground ;)
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#6 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

I would be curious to know just how difficult it is to port a game like this from iOS to the Mac? It's Unity so it couldn't just simply be a matter of pressing the "compile" button? I suppose they have to do some work to adapt the UI for the mouse and keyboard?

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

It would be largely the same codebase; the main differences would be the input methods.  Normally you'd re-import the assets at a higher resolution for the Mac version since you could expect to have more memory to play with, and faster CPU/GPU (assuming the assets had a higher resolution to begin with, which they probably would).  The limitations described sound less like "iOS port" and more like "very small indie team", so even if they had only targeted Macs to begin with, it probably would not have ended up much differently if at all.

--Eric

#8 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Thanks, JaguarGod.  I think I'll give the Mac version a pass.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#9 mlvaliant

mlvaliant

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

My Macbook Pro 15.4” mid 2012 model w. Nvidia 650M use to run Ravensword fine on Mavericks and Yosemite but since upgrading to El Capitan 10.11.1, the game crashes within minutes in the game.

Can anyone else confirm it the game is working for them?

Play the game for at least 10 minutes or so and see if it crashes.
----------
My Systems:
Mac mini: Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge 2.3Ghz w/ HyperThreading, Mac OSX 10.10, 16GB RAM, Intel 4000 HD, 1TB HD, 2TB External HD (HFS+), 1TB External HD (NTFS)), Samsung USB 2 External Blu-Ray burner, External USB 2 DVD Writer

MacBook Pro 15.4": Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge 2.3 GHz w/ Hyperthreading, Mac OSX 10.9.5, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 650 512MB, SuperDrive, Windows 8.1 Pro, 500GB HD

iPad 2: A5 dual core CPU, 16GB, iOS 8.1

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

That's too bad. I had somehow missed the excellent review of the game here which it turns out is about what I was expecting other than the falling through floors kind of bugs. For the money and for a simpler casual diversion a game like this would work for me personally. They have since done a little old school dungeon crawler called "Coldfire Keep" which I did pick up but haven't gotten around to yet. Similarly, it is a simple take on a Grimrock-like experience from what I can tell that I think I will have fun with when I get around to it.

I hope you'll contact the developer through the support link on the Mac App Store page for the game and let them know about the issue with crashing. It may be that you could provide logs useful in finding and fixing the problem if they are not already aware of it and able to reproduce it in-house.

I'd like to pick up this game at some point but I'll probably wait for it to be on sale, cheapskate that I am. I believe this one is now available on Steam too.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#11 mlvaliant

mlvaliant

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

I upgraded to Mac OSX 10.11.2 El Capitan and it still crashes. Does anyone who is running Mac OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan have stability problems with this game?
----------
My Systems:
Mac mini: Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge 2.3Ghz w/ HyperThreading, Mac OSX 10.10, 16GB RAM, Intel 4000 HD, 1TB HD, 2TB External HD (HFS+), 1TB External HD (NTFS)), Samsung USB 2 External Blu-Ray burner, External USB 2 DVD Writer

MacBook Pro 15.4": Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge 2.3 GHz w/ Hyperthreading, Mac OSX 10.9.5, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 650 512MB, SuperDrive, Windows 8.1 Pro, 500GB HD

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

View Postmlvaliant, on 16 December 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

I upgraded to Mac OSX 10.11.2 El Capitan and it still crashes. Does anyone who is running Mac OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan have stability problems with this game?

Did you ever try contacting the developer of the game about this problem?

#13 mlvaliant

mlvaliant

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:05 AM

yeah i contacted them, but they never replied
----------
My Systems:

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

Hmm. Well, I tried a quick Google search as maybe you have too and came up empty. Just for the heck of it, I followed the link to their support from the Mac App Store and dropped them a line asking about compatibility as I was interested in the game but know of someone having issues since upgrading to El Capitan. I will report back if I hear from them.

You might try removing it and reinstalling it after making sure you find out where save games live and stashing them away safely first.

#15 mlvaliant

mlvaliant

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

I tried uninstalling and removing all cache and preference files related and reinstalling but it still crashes within a few minutes into the game
----------
My Systems:

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

View Postmlvaliant, on 18 December 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

I tried uninstalling and removing all cache and preference files related and reinstalling but it still crashes within a few minutes into the game

Hmm, sounds like it needs an update.

#17 mlvaliant

mlvaliant

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

It worked fine while on Mavericks and Yosemite but not El Capitan
----------
My Systems:

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

I looked up this thread to mention the game is on sale for one dollar and four cents for the next week or so on the Humble store based on the review i remembered here. It's funny how i remembered reading the review here in October of last year but did not remember it potentially being broken on El Capitan being pointed out by one person for whom it was in December, just a month ago. Yep, I am right on the ball.

Then I remembered telling mlvaliant above that I wrote to their support a month ago. I never got a reply. I checked Mac App Store and Steam user feedback/forum posts for any mention of El Capitan and found zero info.

So, umm, never mind. I think your buck would be better spent on a roll of toilet paper or something else that at least works and is useful.

#19 mlvaliant

mlvaliant

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

The game Shadowlands works fine on El Capitan my Macbook Pro now. Something in the system was corrupted or something and i did a reinstall of Mac OS X. Sorry for the late post. It also works fine on my sister's Mac mini running El Capitan.
----------
My Systems:

#20 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:59 PM

View Postmlvaliant, on 26 January 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

The game Shadowlands works fine on El Capitan my Macbook Pro now. Something in the system was corrupted or something and i did a reinstall of Mac OS X. Sorry for the late post. It also works fine on my sister's Mac mini running El Capitan.

Oh, man! I missed the sale too! This is all your fault!!! lol

I have too many games anyway so best not to be buying another I do not have time for yet.

I'm glad it's working for you though.