30 replies to this topic

#21 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

I might suggest a Plantronics or Seinheisser 7.1 headset, then.  My Plantronics was a steal at ~70 bucks, and the emulated 7.1 is actually a lot nicer than the Razer headset with the actual 8-drivers-per-ear setup - they end up being too weak.  

I couldn't justify the money on the Seinheisser (sp?) but they get similar results and have even better sound quality.  As long as your motherboard supports 5.1 or 7.1, both headsets will be using the surround data to generate the emulated surround, and its very immersive.  I can clearly hear when people walk up behind me in most shooters - its damn near unfair to them.

#22 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Yeah, surround makes a world of difference ;) Kind of an unfair advantage to those dweebs using earbud mic-headsets... but hey, its their choice to have inferior audio hahaha.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#23 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

On the subject of backlighting, my G510's backlighting is quite nice and will do the full RGB spectrum. I like to keep it on full blue most of the time, just looks great.

I too am not a fan of mechanical keyboards when gaming. They have a certain old school appeal for normal use because they remind me of using the original Apple keyboards on my dad's Mac Plus way back when. But for gaming... my cousin LOVES his mechanical keyboard, but I played Halo PC with it and within a few minutes I was getting extremely sick of my movement keypresses producing *CLICK CLACKITY CLACK* and wanted the KB to shut up. Granted I strongly dislike super-mushy keys as well, but somewhere in between is very nice and why I like Logitech's keyboards.

I like my environment as quiet and immersive as possible... low noise from keyboard and mouse, and I like to play using my QC15s to cancel out any fan noise coming from my computer.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#24 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 16 May 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

We can agree to disagree on "noise is nice", as its personal preference ;)

To me, it is not nice to hear something (anything) when I press keys, or buttons. My deathadder has very little audible response on its buttons. My mac mouse is clacky as hell (but then it is a really old logitech). I used to have a keyboard a long time ago that clickettyclacked when keys were pressed, and I absolutely unequivocally hated it with a passion.

I want to hear the game, subtle footsteps, ambient noises etc from the game... and if something is happening in my own room that is not from the game, then its bugs the hell out of me.

For example when my 'seat' would make this clicking noise when I slightly jerked quick mouse movements... had to grease the sucker, then take it apart to find this little plastic bit that was getting caught in some mechanism that make the noise, cut it back... silenced the damned chair! HAHA.

Yes, I am greatly annoyed by sounds ;)

Dont get me started when outside noises happen like dogs barking. Motorcycles. Airplanes. Birds... rats... butterflies. So much noise in this world conflicting with my gaming enjoyment.

The noise is a valid complaint for blue switch keyboards, they're not hard to press though. They rated as significantly easier to press then a standard keyboard.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#25 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostFrost, on 16 May 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

On the subject of backlighting, my G510's backlighting is quite nice and will do the full RGB spectrum. I like to keep it on full blue most of the time, just looks great.

I too am not a fan of mechanical keyboards when gaming. They have a certain old school appeal for normal use because they remind me of using the original Apple keyboards on my dad's Mac Plus way back when. But for gaming... my cousin LOVES his mechanical keyboard, but I played Halo PC with it and within a few minutes I was getting extremely sick of my movement keypresses producing *CLICK CLACKITY CLACK* and wanted the KB to shut up. Granted I strongly dislike super-mushy keys as well, but somewhere in between is very nice and why I like Logitech's keyboards.

I like my environment as quiet and immersive as possible... low noise from keyboard and mouse, and I like to play using my QC15s to cancel out any fan noise coming from my computer.

just get one that doesn't make noise.  THey have those.

#26 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 16 May 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

just get one that doesn't make noise.  THey have those.

red, black, and brown switches are quieter. All mechanicals are a lot louder the normal KB's though, since keys have a lot more travel distance, so bottoming them out is significantly louder.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#27 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 17 May 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

red, black, and brown switches are quieter. All mechanicals are a lot louder the normal KB's though, since keys have a lot more travel distance, so bottoming them out is significantly louder.

Ive got a friend who has the DasKeyboard that is silenced; it is extremely quiet - no louder than the chiclet keys on this Apple keyboard.  That company may do something additional to make it quieter, though.

#28 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

There is Razer's BlackWidow (Ultimate) Stealth edition. That is supposed to be quite or "stealthed"...whatever that means. ;)

As Tetsuya said, they also make the Death Stalker that has chiclet keys, like the current Apple keyboard. I currently have a Logitech G11 keyboard for my PC, and I am becoming incredibly tired of how annoying it is to type on. I can just never get completely used to it. I have found that if I cannot properly and easily type my passwords (most of which are random alpha-numeric) then I don't like the keyboard. After looking back through this thread, I researched what the Death Stalker was, and I know that kind of keyboard will be the next type I buy.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#29 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on 21 May 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

There is Razer's BlackWidow (Ultimate) Stealth edition. That is supposed to be quite or "stealthed"...whatever that means. ;)

As Tetsuya said, they also make the Death Stalker that has chiclet keys, like the current Apple keyboard. I currently have a Logitech G11 keyboard for my PC, and I am becoming incredibly tired of how annoying it is to type on. I can just never get completely used to it. I have found that if I cannot properly and easily type my passwords (most of which are random alpha-numeric) then I don't like the keyboard. After looking back through this thread, I researched what the Death Stalker was, and I know that kind of keyboard will be the next type I buy.

Lib.

The Deathstalker isn't mechanical, so I wouldn't recommend it. It's a nice keyboard, but mechanicals just feel so much nicer to type on.

I have a friend who has a Ducky KB with Brown switches (same as the Blackwidow Stealth) and it's considerably quieter then my standard edition Black Widow. Still louder then an average KB though. You wouldn't want to use it in an office space with coworkers around.

#30 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 22 May 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

The Deathstalker isn't mechanical, so I wouldn't recommend it. It's a nice keyboard, but mechanicals just feel so much nicer to type on.

I have a friend who has a Ducky KB with Brown switches (same as the Blackwidow Stealth) and it's considerably quieter then my standard edition Black Widow. Still louder then an average KB though. You wouldn't want to use it in an office space with coworkers around.

Thanks for your info. :)

I don't type stuff up much at all. I haven't done extended typing for a few years now. I like the feel of Apple's keyboard, and especially the low profile keys. ...much nicer. I am really not liking this G11 much any more...except for the back-lighting. This is something I will need regardless of the type. I have heard absolutely great things about the mechanical keyboards, but I don't type much so I don't really see the point of paying so much for something like that. Another thing, I'm kinda with Frigidman and Frost, I would much rather a quiter keyboard and at that point I would be paying $200 + (AUD) and at least currently that is too much for me.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#31 creamtown

creamtown

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

I think you should use gamepad instead, only if you want to play games like soccer or third person games. But if you want to play strategy or FPS, then yeah, you should definitely get the gaming keyboard.