7 replies to this topic

#1 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Well, it looks like iRacing could be coming to Mac! Here is the original post from one of  my favorite Racing Sim sites, VirtualR.net

Macs & Linux PCs are not exactly classical gaming platforms, but in terms of sim racing this will change soon as iRacing is branching out to the two increasingly-popular systems.

iRacing is apparently making very good progress with the first working build for the new platforms and is looking for interested Mac & Linux users to help out with the testing work.

If you own either system and are an iRacing subscriber, mail Chris Weidner with your system specs & controller and you might be picked to help out.

iRacing estimates that Linux & Mac make up at least 15% of market share among their potential customers and hopes for a significant increase of membership numbers with the new versions. The simulation will certainly fill a void as no serious driving title is available for either platform as of now.

Original VirtualR Post: VirtualR Post "iRacing Coming To Mac and Linux"
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

Never even touched iRacing, although I have heard of it. I am a huge racing sim fan however, love Gran Turismo on my PlayStation and Forza 4 (I know, I know... it's pretty solid when you have all the assists turned off though) on the Xbox, so this would definitely be something that interests me!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Always great to hear about another racing title coming to OS X.

Not sure how I feel about the subscription model though, like everything else it only makes sense if you can find enough time regularly.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, I didn't realize until I read about it that it was subscription-based. $12 a month for one thing? I don't think so.

Guess I'll cross that one off.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

OK, I will be testing the game which is pretty cool. But I too am not a fan of subscription games. The only difference here is that it is iRacing and I am such a big fan of the game on PC. A lot of friends play it on Windows and I have played it also on their setups. I am pretty envious as the game is great for online races and the amount of tuning that can be done is amazing. But in all reality, I will probably do it for a year or so after the initial release and take it from there. I am much more of a "buy the game once and play forever" type of gamer, especially with racing games. I do not mind DLC much, but would prefer to purchase a game as a whole. That is why my own game, AuoSport Driving has no DLC or subscription. I just wanted those who purchased it to pay once and get everything (what little there is). I have updated the game 4 times over the past year and a half and have many more updates coming. But iRacing is just so well done. The laser scanned tracks are beautiful along with the car models and when playing online with people who are "gentlemen" racers it can be very rewarding.

#6 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Well, I will preface this with a quick statement... "I love iRacing and have had a lot of fun in the past playing the game. Now that I am testing the game on OSX it is pretty clear that we need OSX specific software for these wheels soon. I have had no luck with Fanatec or Thrustmaster in recent years as the market is just too small. FFB, even with the kext installed, is not working in the current gamestate. This just makes the game unplayable if you rely on your wheel to get the best laptimes and I certainly do. Very disappointing.

#7 NostalgiaLane

NostalgiaLane

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Steam Name:oSBKo
  • Steam ID:oSBKo

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Do they offer a 'one month free' type deal?

#8 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

They do have some offers right now and there are times they have offers for free. But I think right now it is 50% off on some subscriptions.