Poll: NeverWinter Nights or Warcraft 3?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Which would you rather have? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you rather have?

1. Neverwinter Nights (14 votes [37.84%])

Percentage of vote: 37.84%

2. Warcraft III (23 votes [62.16%])

Percentage of vote: 62.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 10:15 AM

If you had to choose, which one would you get? Please don't post both or neither, I'm only interested in finding out which one Mac gamers interested in both games want MORE.

#2 Mot

Mot

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 10:27 AM

You can't do both!  That makes it tricky.

NWN
+ Rope-playing with Lots of D&D goodness
+ Supposedly long and engaging story
+ Up to 64 players(around) can play together on a board online
+ Lots and lots of modability
+? Toolset for modding, maybe.

War3
+ RTS-like
+ A Blizzard Game
+ Supposedly cool single player
+ CINEMATICS!!
+ Online matches
+ Mac toolset for maps
+ One step closer to Starcraft 2

Its a tough one:
I'd go for the War3 RTS style.
My brother would go for the NWN for the D&D rpg.
Either way, I'll go with BOTH, ha.

#3 skumancer

skumancer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 10:46 AM

Since I have no money right now and I already ordered War3, I go with it!!!

But I do want NWN and now it seems the toolset will b portet, so ASA I have money, I'll go with it too!!

#4 Tiran Kenja

Tiran Kenja

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 11:01 AM

Newerwinter. No contest. We have plenty of RTS games. And although W3 adds some presistant heros it's still not really that much of a new thing to be as interresting as NWN that's a true first. Noone has ever implemted a pen and paper RPG system and given the player enough control over it to come even close to actual pen and paper RP. That's the promise of NWN. And they even use the D&D 3rd ed instead of those silly AD&D 2nd ed 2nd revision (or what they callled those. I never liked those).

#5 Mr_Toast

Mr_Toast

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 11:24 AM

Warcraft 3 is going to be huge.

#6 isalhala

isalhala

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 11:49 AM

I would have to go with Warcraft III (even though there's a good chance I'll get NWN too) because it seems to be more revolutionary.  While NWN has great graphics and (I'm assuuming) a great story, it is not that different from the Baldur's Gate series or Icewind Dale.  Warcraft III uses 3D graphics and adds some interesting RPG elements (also a first.)  Blizzard has decided to be awesome and give us Warcraft III at the same time as the PC version, so we won't have to wait.  Also, I've already pre-ordered Warcraft III.

#7 kraahl

kraahl

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 12:28 PM

Warcraft III uses 3D graphics (first RTS to do so,)

That is just NOT true, yes it uses 3D graphics but itīs not the first to do so.
I could make a list but I wonīt.

#8 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 12:41 PM

Yeay, they turned my post into a poll!

Before today's announcement about the NWN tools coming out, Warcraft 3 was a clear choice for me, but if the tools come out for NWN, I'll definitely get BOTH! (Yeah, I know... I'm a hypocrite! ;-)

Now I just need to wait for a price drop on the eMacs at MacWorld NY in July, and I'll be stylin'!

#9 ground-LOBP-

ground-LOBP-

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 05:29 PM

NWN, simply because I strongly feel that Brood War is still going to be the reigning RTS based upon War3 thoughts from my group of 'Crafters.

#10 Grub

Grub

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 05:40 PM

Well, Warcraft 3 is a guarantee for me. I am buying it. period.

If NWN has the toolset, that too will be a guaranteed purchase. Without the toolset, it is almost a guaranteed pass. I want that toolset bad.

#11 Anders

Anders

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 06:05 PM

I am going for both although if I had to pick I would get NWN so long as the toolsets were ported. I would buy it regardless, but then WC 3 would be my top pick, not NWN. They both look like awesome games and I'm just glad I have the money for both!

#12 Zobeid

Zobeid

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 06:47 PM

If you had to choose, which one would you get? Please don't post both or neither, I'm only interested in finding out which one Mac gamers interested in both games want MORE.

NWN, definitely.  Warcraft 3 is a realtime strategy game.  I'm not interested in RTS games: never have been, and doubt I ever will be.

I dunno why, but I just never got into them.  The whole RTS genre got started years ago with Command & Conquer, but I had an Amiga at the time, so I had no opportunity to play that.  The only RTS game I've ever played has been Settlers 3 (on a Windows PC), and I was unhappy because it didn't play more like the original Settlers game, and also because there wasn't really much strategy involved anyhow.

As somebody pointed out....  Even if you're a fan of RTS games, there are lots of RTS games.  There is nothing else like NWN, it's unique.
Zobeid Zarathustra
"That which does not kill us makes us stranger."

#13 Irish

Irish

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 June 2002 - 02:44 AM

Warcraft III. Why, because it's going to be available from the off.  I might buy NWN when it eventually comes out but only if the PC community has not played it to death by then and moved on. If I have to choose between these two games, then I am always going to support a company that at least makes the effort to give us PC parity. However, strictly from a gaming perspective, the two games are not really comparable. NWN is a died-in-the-wood RPG based on the AD&D rule set, WC III is basically an enhanced RTS. The playing styles will be totally different, so in that sence these two games can coexist quite happily together, appealing to people's different gaming preferences.

#14 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 13 June 2002 - 04:26 AM

However, strictly from a gaming perspective, the two games are not really comparable. NWN is a died-in-the-wood RPG based on the AD&D rule set, WC III is basically an enhanced RTS. The playing styles will be totally different, so in that sence these two games can coexist quite happily together, appealing to people's different gaming preferences.

I realize that they aren't exactly the same type of game, but there are many similarities.

- NWN & WC3 are both fantasy games
- NWN is an RPG, WC3 is an RTS but has some RPG elements
- Both have tools for creating your own levels/scenarios
- Both are EXPENSIVE (approx $60!!!)

I saw these as enough common criteria that it would be interesting to have a face-off. I like both genres, and as a long time MUDder & D&D fan, NWN definitely had the lead, until I found out the tools weren't going to be available for the Mac.

So here's how it looks for me:
W3 is my top choice, simply because of the scenario tools and the fact that it is coming out sooner. But if the tools will be coming out for NWN, I will definitely buy it. Without the tools for NWN, it is questionable as to whether I would buy it or not.

#15 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 03:54 PM

id rather pay my $49.99 and have a round with yo mamma!

sorry i just felt like saying that. y'all dont hate - appreciate.

unless neverwinter is a major revolution in RPG gaming (which i doubt since its based on the D&D ruleset) i'd prefer something a little more action oriented, a la WCIII.

i know i will be buying WCIII, but i will wait to see what the reviews are of NWN before picking that suka up.

#16 Erwin Heiser

Erwin Heiser

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 06:54 PM

"We have plenty of RTS games"

Excuse me?
Which ones would that be?
Homeworld? Emperor: Battle for Dune? Cossacks? Shogun? Batlle Realms? Etherlords? Ground Control? Etc...
Me thinks not, my friend.
Having gotten this of my chest I simply refuse to choose between 2 such quality games so I'll have both thank you very much ;-)
I applaud Blizzard for having the balls to put out a simultaneous Win/MacOS9 and X release. Blizzard rules!