184 replies to this topic

#161 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

This is pretty good shot at explaining the story.  Spoilers.

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#162 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Oops, started to think DNF stood for Did Not Finish an entirely different game! It could also because for me, Duke Nukem Forever was a Did Not Finish Game.

#163 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Wow, the 10.8.5 update has made sweet, sweet love to my Hackintosh w/ a ati 5850. Arkham city is now smooth as silk on max, and I've cranked up infinite's settings via this thread: http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=3101130
It looks terrific.

Infinite so far is pretty damn engaging. I just wish Levine would get out of his gameplay bubble next time. He's an incredibly talented world builder, but he's basically been making the exact same game his entire career. The rails gameplay is pretty fun though, I'll give him that.

#164 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

I have noticed some improvement with Arkham City as well.. I mean... it wasn't bad before but I've noticed impvoment in fights and navigation regardless. As far as Infinite goes it seems I can't crank it up without it crashing still though with my nvidia card. The frame rate is fine it just crashes when you see the statue for the first time and it engages a cut scene. I have to run it at medium to work around that... also it doesn't accept higher resolutions above 900p even if I edit the cfg file manually. I even tried deleting my preference files and having it regenerate them. Right now it seems AMD users fare better in that game.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#165 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

Apple often back ports certain architectural changes form the next OS release to the current OS in its last update. This is probably to maintain some level of compatibility for future apps (many require the last version of the previous OS). Like they did for Quicktime 7 in panther 10.3.9, some new drivers in Leopard 10.6.8...
I also saw some improvements in 10.8.5, but it's not as fast as 10.9 in Unigine.

#166 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

View Postchoiceweb0pen0, on 19 September 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Oops, started to think DNF stood for Did Not Finish an entirely different game! It could also because for me, Duke Nukem Forever was a Did Not Finish Game.
Typically what I don't like (it's not important!)... shooting on the dead man... and you feel authorized do anything because anyway everybody agree the man is dead. I don't see what's unfinished with DNF. That you don't like the design and would want that all is redone differently, doesn't mean the game is unfinished, nope! Still make me smile the huge reactions about the limit of number of weapons and none for some Bioshock 32.

That said I haven't play BS3 as the required OS can't run on my computer. From few bits of video I have seen it seems differen, I could enjoy it more than the previous.

#167 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostGliniolu, on 01 October 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Typically what I don't like (it's not important!)... shooting on the dead man... and you feel authorized do anything because anyway everybody agree the man is dead. I don't see what's unfinished with DNF.

Gee, Gliniolu. That's the second time this week that you've dismissed someone else's opinion by accusing them of jumping on a bandwagon. (You also said it to someone complaining that Diablo III's writing wasn't very good.) Of course, YOUR opinion is valid, but theirs isn't?

For the record, lots of people thought DNF felt unfinished, and gave specific examples when it first came out.

It's great that you liked DNF. You aren't the only one here who did. Just don't make lazy accusations against those who have a different opinion.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#168 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Err, I really meant Did Not Finish as in I didn't finish it. :rolleyes: I got stuck in the level where you get shrunk and have to drive a little car over ramps etc. But sure, I could see that despite the long long forever wait to get that game, that it didn't meet expectations.

#169 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 02 October 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Gee, Gliniolu. That's the second time this week that you've dismissed someone else's opinion by accusing them of jumping on a bandwagon. (You also said it to someone complaining that Diablo III's writing wasn't very good.) Of course, YOUR opinion is valid, but theirs isn't?

For the record, lots of people thought DNF felt unfinished, and gave specific examples when it first came out.

It's great that you liked DNF. You aren't the only one here who did. Just don't make lazy accusations against those who have a different opinion.
What bandwagon in this case??? You really think it's a matter of opinion to say that it's an unfinished game????? BE SERIOUS...

EDIT: And the "a lot of people thought" is a bad bandwagon, throw the argues not this false argument.

#170 Gliniolu

Gliniolu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

View Postchoiceweb0pen0, on 02 October 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Err, I really meant Did Not Finish as in I didn't finish it. :rolleyes: I got stuck in the level where you get shrunk and have to drive a little car over ramps etc. But sure, I could see that despite the long long forever wait to get that game, that it didn't meet expectations.

Ok sorry to have put you in some bandwagon but your post wasn't clear for me. The expectation is something I give up because it leads to not appreciate a game at its right values, it pushes start complain of what you expect which is just your expectation. I do understand this problem build a large part of the strong anti hype.

Many elements I have seen they get negative critics aren't obviously negative. An example is the railroad thing as if many quite good shooter wasn't also a railroad, including Half-Life 2 or Metro 2033. Another example is the weapons limit, it brought back more ammo management that very few modern shooters has, it makes you use more often various weapons, and it allows design fights that would be too easy if you had a specific weapon. Another problem came from having a default with hints activated and many players didn't noticed and didn't remove this missing a fairly good puzzling and searching element. The same go for the humor and and anti women humor, it generated a lot of negativity expect that DN3D was the same.

#171 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

I feel left out.  The bandwagon always sends me out for coffee or little comfy pillows or some other little errand and when I get back to get on, it is nowhere to be seen.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#172 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostGliniolu, on 03 October 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

You really think it's a matter of opinion to say that it's an unfinished game????? BE SERIOUS...
You're right. I should have said, it's a documented fact that it's an unfinished game. :-)

EDIT: And the "a lot of people thought" is a bad bandwagon, throw the argues not this false argument.
Perhaps I wasn't completely clear there. I was trying to make the point that lots of us had specific examples why they thought it felt unfinished. We didn't just say snarky things about DNF because we heard it was bad. We paid money for the game, and tried to play it.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#173 NostalgiaLane

NostalgiaLane

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Steam Name:oSBKo
  • Steam ID:oSBKo

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

Ok, just brought BI off steam.

Should I wait for Mavericks to come out before playing it to get the best experience? or just dive in right away?

I'm on a rMBP.

Thanks.

#174 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'm reading on XLR8YOURMAC that Aspyr is reporting worse performance with NVIDIA cards for Bioshock Infinite under Mavericks(?). :wacko2:
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#175 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 22 October 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

I'm reading on XLR8YOURMAC that Aspyr is reporting worse performance with NVIDIA cards for Bioshock Infinite under Mavericks(?). :wacko2:
Oookay… I guess I'll wait for 10.9.1 then. :glare:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#176 Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, the hit popped up when we got the gold master last week.  It's a tiny dip, and honestly I couldnt tell when playing the game, but when we benchmark it, you can meter the difference.  

ATI cards saw about a 15% bump however, which is around what we are seeing on most games with Mavericks.

#177 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

So then as a gamer with an ATI card you would recommend me downloading Mavericks?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#178 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 22 October 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Oookay… I guess I'll wait for 10.9.1 then. :glare:
Same. Screw that.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#179 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

If the difference right now between running this game in 10.9 vs 10.8.5 is a small dip in performance in 10.9 in high settings vs outright crashing I was getting in 10.8.5 I'll take the small dip in performance.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#180 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

If the difference right now between 10.6.8 and 10.9 is a whole lot of broken apps I use, slowness overall (oh sure 10.9 is a bit faster than 10.7 and 8... but keep in mind 10.7 and 8 are slow as popsnizzle compared to 10.6), and clunky interface changes to be 'hip' ... I'll pass, entirely. Thanks.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester