PowerLogix Intros 750 MHz to 1 GHz G4 Upgrades! Interested?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see IMG review CPU upgrades? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see IMG review CPU upgrades?

1. Yay! I want to see what kind of fatty FPS these CPU upgrades pump out! (39 votes [82.98%])

Percentage of vote: 82.98%

2. Nay. These upgrades are too pricey and don't interest me. (8 votes [17.02%])

Percentage of vote: 17.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 13 June 2002 - 02:19 PM

Great news, I got a positive response from PowerLogix.  Now, anyone willing to donate a Cube for me to test on? =P

Also, OWC has them listed on their site with a 30 day wait time (approximately).  The prices aren't too bad, IMO.
I live in Mexifornia.

#22 SumDeus

SumDeus

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 01:07 PM

Sigh, PCI G4. Maybe I should just ge a new computer.

#23 Biablo

Biablo

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 01:48 PM

Anyone else have an opinion? =)
lol. I can see I'm highly respected around here. :-)
Simulation Train Groping Booths: 3rd largest sector of the Japanese economy

#24 chainsawmcgraw

chainsawmcgraw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 02:03 PM

these polls work great, currently it's 80% in favor, 19% against... hmmmm =)

#25 vickster

vickster

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 June 2002 - 04:43 AM

Lucian,

It seems these days that game design drives hardware development (whether real or imagined).  All I know is that most of time the reason for my upgrades have been to better enjoy the gaming experience.  The more hardware reviews you can do, the better - especially these Powerlogix upgrades.  I've always been impressed with their products (hell, I've got a PL 350mhz G3 card in a clone that has run rock solid at 467mhz for well over a year!) and I have a feeling these new upgrades are gonna fly off the shelf.  I know I'll be looking to put one of these in my brand new Cube...

...and no, you can't have it to test with.

vickster

#26 Lars

Lars

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 June 2002 - 08:22 PM

especially when a new Mac (granted, only 800 mhz) is only $1,599...

I couldn't help but notice that you live in Canada. 1 GHz CPU card and a Radeon cost $1500 (about) CND. A 800 MHz G4 costs $2500.00 CND. It's a $1000 CDN difference - makes a big difference. You do know that the Canadian Dollar is only worth .60 cents US. :-)

#27 Fat Bastard Canada

Fat Bastard Canada

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 11:30 AM

I couldn't help but notice that you live in Canada. 1 GHz CPU card and a Radeon cost $1500 (about) CND. A 800 MHz G4 costs $2500.00 CND. It's a $1000 CDN difference - makes a big difference. You do know that the Canadian Dollar is only worth .60 cents US. :-)

Yeah, but look at what you get for the extra grand - faster system bus, DVD burner, 4xAGP (instead of 2x), better graphics card... You get an overall bigger, badder, faster machine. When it comes to games, it's always best to get the fastest machine possible with the best video card available.

And it's only a grand! You can sell your old Mac for almost as much at a Mac reseller (I just sold my old 233 G3 powerbook for $1,700); if your Mac is three or four years old, you'll probably still get a pretty penny for it.

I dunno... I guess I'm pretty lucky to be able to say that a thousand dollars isn't that much money (although now that we've got a mortgage, a grand is a lot harder to save up for than it used to be), but what I have learned is that when it comes to life, there's no point in settling for inferior solutions when it just takes a little more work or a little longer to save up for better stuff..... You're from Canada, you might appreciate this analogyu - Why drink Kokanee when you can drink Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager? Why drink Budweiser or Coors Light when local breweries make MUCH better beer?

#28 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 01:25 PM

I think if you've invested a lot of money into your computer already, these upgrades will be very worthwhile.  I have 3 HDs, plenty of RAM, and a Radeon 8500 in my Sawtooth 500.  Spending $600/800 to extend the life of my machine a year or two is worth it IMO.  By that time, I should have enough money to buy a machine capable of running DOOM 3.  =)
I live in Mexifornia.

#29 Fat Bastard Canada

Fat Bastard Canada

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 02:20 PM

I have 3 HDs, plenty of RAM, and a Radeon 8500 in my Sawtooth 500.  Spending $600/800 to extend the life of my machine a year or two is worth it IMO.

But you can transfer the HDs, extra RAM and Radeon 8500 into your new machine. And like I said, you'll get plenty of dough for selling your Mac used - combine that with the $800 you're going to spend on a cpu upgrade and bingo, you've got enough money to buy a brand new machine.

I'm sorry to keep beating the dead mule here, but IMHO I really really really don't think processor upgrades are worth it!

#30 Li'l Bastard

Li'l Bastard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 04:02 PM

No, we can't transfer the RAM over to a new machine, at least anyone with a 100 Mhz bus can't... I have 1 gig of PC100 ram, the newer Macs need PC133, so making the most out of my machine now is definitely a better plan than spending the extra money to get a new machine...
Li'l Bastard

#31 Fat Bastard Canada

Fat Bastard Canada

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 04:23 PM

No, we can't transfer the RAM over to a new machine, at least anyone with a 100 Mhz bus can't...

I'd forgotten about that, sorry.    However the HDs and the AGP card are, so it's still a moot point... :oops: