PowerLogix Intros 750 MHz to 1 GHz G4 Upgrades! Interested?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see IMG review CPU upgrades? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see IMG review CPU upgrades?

1. Yay! I want to see what kind of fatty FPS these CPU upgrades pump out! (39 votes [82.98%])

Percentage of vote: 82.98%

2. Nay. These upgrades are too pricey and don't interest me. (8 votes [17.02%])

Percentage of vote: 17.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 02:30 AM

As you may or may not have heard, PowerLogix recently announced G4 upgrades for AGP Macs from 750 MHz all the way up to 1 GHz.  The prices will range from $450 to $750.

I haven't looked at CPU upgrades seriously because they weren't worth considering.  Now, with such a huge leap in speed, they might be worth looking at.  I understand it might not be completely gaming related, but I get the feeling that you guys are often looking at ways to upgrade your Macs.

I understand that $450 is quite a chunk of change to drop on a CPU upgrade, but if you're stuck at 350 MHz for the moment, it might be a good way to prolong the life of your machine.

In any case, if you'd like to see us review these CPU upgrades, vote "yay".  Otherwise, vote "nay".  Of course, no guarantee that we'll actually be able to get review units.  =)
I live in Mexifornia.

#2 Biablo

Biablo

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 03:15 AM

Why not?
Simulation Train Groping Booths: 3rd largest sector of the Japanese economy

#3 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 11:23 AM

Anyone else have an opinion? =)
I live in Mexifornia.

#4 chainsawmcgraw

chainsawmcgraw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 11:25 AM

CPU upgrades have never caught my fancy, but if enough people are interested and it doesn't cost you anything... why not?

#5 Fat Bastard Canada

Fat Bastard Canada

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 11:29 AM

Well, I still don't believe that upgrading your current Mac with a processor upgrade is worth the trouble, especially for games, since graphics cards are way more important.

For example, I've got a 400 mhz AGP G4. Although the upgrade to 1 ghz processor seems enticing, there's really no point in upgrading unless I upgrade my video card. But my Mac is only 2xAGP; to get the most out of a new video card I really should be using a 4xAGP machine.

Financially: 1 Ghz CPU from Powerlogic: $750 (assume)
      Plus        Radeon 8500 graphics card $269

That's already over a thousand dollars to upgrade. Granted I'd have a kick ass Mac, but with only 2xAGP, a 100 mhz bus, and a small hard drive. I'm not speaking on every Mac user's behalf, but for me, it just isn't worth while, especially when a new Mac (granted, only 800 mhz) is only $1,599...

#6 Fat Bastard Canada

Fat Bastard Canada

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 11:30 AM

I guess what I was trying to get at is that I personally wouldn't be interested and would probably not read the reviews...

#7 Bastich

Bastich

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 12:01 PM

I'd be interested in such an upgrade for older machines, e.g. beige G3.

#8 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 12:11 PM

I believe these upgrades are only for AGP Macs (G4 Cube included).  If the same 10x multiplier is applied to a Beige G3, you'll only get 660 MHz.  Maybe in the future, they'll have higher multipliers.
I live in Mexifornia.

#9 Li'l Bastard

Li'l Bastard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 12:21 PM

I would definitely like to see more information on these upgrade cards. My G4 400 is definitely showing signs of aging when trying to play newer games, and I already have everything else upgraded in my machine. I already have a Radeon, new sound card and 1 gig of ram...the only thing holding me back is my cpu. I visited the PowerLogix site, but only saw the announcement for the new upgrades, no real information about them, except that there will be seperate models for 100 and 133Mhz buses.
The only problem I have is that I am suffering from the ability to play any of the newer OS X games anyway due to some bug with Apple's video drivers and the sawtooth G4. Once I am able to play a game without the system locking up every five minutes I would definitely think about this upgrade. Otherwise I may have to invest a few more bucks and go for a new system...
Li'l Bastard

#10 DarkNovaMatter

DarkNovaMatter

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 01:04 PM

Yes its only a processor upgrade but when it can upgrade my cube and finally take full advantage of the 2x AGP. Soon cube's will have a combo drive, and maybe even a superdrive. All in all not a bad day for a cube user.

#11 griel

griel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 01:31 PM

I would be interested in seeing a fpsp$ sort of analysis to show whether one of these upgrades makes any sense over a new computer.

#12 G4Jedi

G4Jedi

American Idiot

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 02:23 PM

Sure. Making my Mac go 750Mhz wouldn't be bad. My friend just bought RtCW the other day for his Mac (733 G4) and it loads most levels nearly 1/2-1/4 less time than my 400 G4. Granted he does have 4xAGP and an extra 128MB RAM than I, but I doubt that matters. From what I can tell, it is mostly his processor being faster than mine.

Heh, but both of us gets lower pings in RtCW LAN games than 2.0 Ghz PC users running XP, even when it's a Windows dedicated server. Ha! Go figure. We lowly Mac users sure jacked 'em up in Wolfenstein. "Heh Heh."

#13 Eindvijand

Eindvijand

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 02:44 PM

I'm interested. Pop this CPU upgrade and a Radeon8500 in my PowerMac G4 466 and I can use it for games for some more time.

Good news all-round.

#14 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 03:03 PM

Wouldn't mind something like this for my B&W G3.

#15 fuzz_ball

fuzz_ball

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 03:26 PM

I'm definitely interested in the 1 GHz upgrade! I own a Quicksilver 733 and lets face it: You can't buy a SP 1 GHz machine. You can buy a QS 933 of $2299 or a MP 1 GHz for $2999. So if my choice is spending basically $2300 for a faster processor, or spending $750 on an upgrade, well the answer is clear!

Now if I can only convince my wife...

#16 SmrtCRO

SmrtCRO

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 03:26 PM

yeah i would liku 2 c a review of a 1ghz model because i will probably get 1 but hear this

well my friend played UT2 alha version(PC) and he told me that it is running good at 800mhx and GF2mx so i have radeon 8500 and 400mhz and if i upgrade i wouldn't have 2 buy a new mac like for another 2 years :))

SUPER :))))

#17 Fat Bastard Canada

Fat Bastard Canada

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 03:34 PM

And THAT'S the hard part.

#18 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 12 June 2002 - 04:42 PM

My personal interest is pretty high.  I have a G4/500 right now and I'm curious to know how my framerates would scale if I popped in a 750 MHz or 1 GHz G4.  I'm sure it wouldn't scale linearly because it's a completely different processor, but I'd be happy with a slight curve.  =)

Let's hear some more opinions/comments!
I live in Mexifornia.

#19 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 13 June 2002 - 02:28 AM

Welp, I just e-mailed PowerLogix about the possibility of reviewing their new CPU upgrades.  Hopefully I'll get a response soon.
I live in Mexifornia.

#20 Klutz

Klutz

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 June 2002 - 08:44 AM

Considering taht my only previous option was to upgrade my aging G4/400 to 550 Mhz (at the tune of @ $300 and that processor is only a 7410 vs. PowerLogix's offering of a 7455) or replacing my machine all together, these upgrades sound great. I wasn't ever really planning on replacing my CPU, as Mac upgrades have been so damn expensive. However, the pricepoint for these new upgrades seems a lot more reasonable than CPU upgrades of the past.
On the other hand, I feel that I am in the same boat as Fat Bastard Canada, in that I not only need a faster CPU, but a better video card (currently stuck w/Rage 128Pro) and a new hard drive.
I'd definitely be interested in a review, though! Not only to see waht kind of FPS boost to expect, but what kind of speed I could expect in OS X and some of my "staple" apps. I don't have the money for a new machine, so these upgrades are really enticing me...  ;)