#41 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

I don't even have a wheel :( I have a 3d joystick, and a x360 gamepad, and a logitech gamepad. No wheel... no pedals. Hmm.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#42 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

I have used racing wheels for a long time. I do not remember my first wheels as they were converted flight sticks (I guess my colecovision expansion module wheel may count), but I remember using the T2 and it was one of the best wheels ever. There were no USB wheels then and gameport wheels were pretty scarce where I was.

Wheels really do enhance the racing game experience. I cannot play a racing game without a wheel nowadays though I still play some retro games that do not utilize a wheel. My laptimes are wicked with a wheel at this point in my life. That includes the fact that I use the cockpit view ALWAYS when they are available in the game. I feel like I am cheating if I do not use it and it gives me a great sense of accomplishment when I can win online with it.

Now, with games like Grid 2 that will NOT have a cockpit view, I can just as easily use the hood cam. But that is not ideal for me. Codemasters has done a lot of research on the cockpit subject and have decided that it is a waste of resources to include it. If I were in the business to make money I would agree as it does take a long time to model the interiors and to make them look pretty. Also, if the interiors are not perfect, you may get a lot of criticism. But I just think the cockpit view is essential to me in a racing game. I know to a lot (most) people, it really means nothing as they use the external views or bumper cams.
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#43 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yeah, I'm that way with space flight sims. I can only fly while in cockpit view. And 3rd person nonsense, just throws my game off. And if it doesnt have cockpit... well, I don't play the game much at all if any. I guess I am to space flight sims, as you are to racing games :) Snobbish and picky! Nothing wrong with it... everyone has to have their thing, right?

:)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#44 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 07 April 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm that way with space flight sims. I can only fly while in cockpit view. And 3rd person nonsense, just throws my game off. And if it doesnt have cockpit... well, I don't play the game much at all if any. I guess I am to space flight sims, as you are to racing games :) Snobbish and picky! Nothing wrong with it... everyone has to have their thing, right?

:)
I really do not mind being a "SimSnob" as I am sure you do not mind being a "Space Flight SimSnob". And yes, there is nothing wrong with it and we should all have our own thing. I will say that I feel very fortunate to be able to have sim racing as a hobby and even be a developer now.

I do not play a lot of flight sim or space flight games. But I do know that a lot of the older sim racing setups I had could double as a flight sim rigs also. I was always intrigued to try a flight sim setup just to see how much fun it could be. But maybe I am too old to start there now :happy:

#45 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

HELP PLEASE Calling all GRID steering Wheel Users

We have had a rare report from a 3 wheel users that their settings are not being saved on quit, however when we test using identical hardware it all works perfectly... So if you use a wheel could you please send me a private message or email support and tell me:

What wheel you have
What OS you have installed
What USB port you plug your wheel into (direct, keyboard hub etc)
If your wheel preferences are saved as you expect
If via PM your email so we can contact you again if needed

Even if you are playing without a problem your information will be used to help work out why these 3 users have problems. So please take 1 minute to send me a message and we can try and help out these few people with problems.

Thanks in advance to the racing community for your replies, it should help us improve our games even more and automatically deal with even more rare and/or strange issues Posted Image

Edwin

#46 Trautman

Trautman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

https://twitter.com/...569280261799937
Ever though about modding GRID? Well he is an example mod to get you all started.
http://downloads.fer....com/mods/grid/

#47 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1448 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Just bought this today, connected my PS3 controller... turned everything on high (save for FXAA; 2X)... stupendous!!! Fluid, fluid, fluid... this is a race fan's game!!! Thank you, Feral!
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#48 Fred9

Fred9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Awesome game. I loved it just as much as Dirt 2.

#49 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

Grid is a very good game. It has a pretty robust career mode and the graphics and sounds are very well done. It runs very well on the Mac as it is a bit of an older game, but still a crapload of fun to play. I have to admit that I like Grid much better than its current sequel. Considering all I really play are racing games/sims and they are the only games I am really good at, I want to be immersed and the cockpit view gives me that feeling. I know Codemasters left out the cockpit view after doing their research and it saved them money, but even I added cockpit views into my own mac racing sim and I don't make popsnizzle for money! But I do understand the financial aspect of it.

#50 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostJaguarGod, on 10 September 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

Grid is a very good game. It has a pretty robust career mode and the graphics and sounds are very well done. It runs very well on the Mac as it is a bit of an older game, but still a crapload of fun to play. I have to admit that I like Grid much better than its current sequel. Considering all I really play are racing games/sims and they are the only games I am really good at, I want to be immersed and the cockpit view gives me that feeling. I know Codemasters left out the cockpit view after doing their research and it saved them money, but even I added cockpit views into my own mac racing sim and I don't make popsnizzle for money! But I do understand the financial aspect of it.

Yeah, sometimes features get cut from the drawing board. It seems though, corporations cut more, than indie devs do. Maybe its because indie devs have passion and care about what they are making, while corporations are only concerned with the bottom line and hype and make-money-ditch-move-on.

-Fm [1oM7]

#51 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

I think you may be right as it becomes more an issue of deadline vs. bottom-line in corporations. And it really is not always the fault of the large developer if you look at it from a purely financial view. But I think that sometimes it can be a bit backwards-thinking. Cockpit views have been around for a very long time in gaming, though they were fairly crude back in the day. But they were considered "progress" as they matured. I think to include them in a previous version of a game and exclude them in the next, research/money or for any other reason, is a bit anti-progressive. Again, I understand the financial aspect of it as I run a large business (my actual job that puts food on the table for my family) and it is always a concern.

#52 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, I recall some pretty basic wireframe cockpit views in some space games, and always thought 'awesome'. Even though they were visually crude, and functionally useless (cant click any buttons seen on panels etc).

Even when games started to come along with an option to 'turn off cockpit'... I never did. Ok, sure you can see more of the 'space' in front of you (or road, or air in other simulators)... but to me, it removed a lot of immersive feel. So I never enabled those options. I wonder if over the times, too many wankers complained about cockpit views 'obscuring view' that developers just now stop bothering making cockpits?

-Fm [1oM7]

#53 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

I believe Codemasters cut the cockpit view because their research had found only about 5% of their players were actually using the view, and it was not worth if financially to make it this time around. To my mind it seems you may be simplifying the issue, but to to say much more on the matter I would need to know more too. ;)

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#54 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Whoever said the majority is always right? ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#55 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

They may not be right, but business is business and they did not see there was enough of an incentive to develop this for comparatively so few people.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#56 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on 13 September 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

They may not be right, but business is business and they did not see there was enough of an incentive to develop this for comparatively so few people.

Lib.
You are very correct about the financial aspect of it as it takes time and resources to build the cockpits. Hell, it took me a long time to build the cockpits in Auto Sport Driving and that was only for 5 series (soon to be 8). But I do it for the love of it and not the money so I feel it is a necessity to have a cockpit view for immersive feel. It is simply too bad that something I love in racing games would be cut out due to deadline and fiscal considerations, but it does make sense.

And yes, they did do their own research and I do agree that the percent is probably pretty close to their 5%. Streamlining their development benefits their bottom line for sure. But as racing fans, that 5% who like cockpit views are a very vocal crowd.

As I stated above in my posts, the cockpit view is the only view I will use in a game "if" it is available. A lot of the larger development projects contain cockpit views that have become a major focal point of the game. Take Gran Turismo series and Forza for consoles. If they cut out cockpit views, they could cut a large fraction of their development time, but the cockpit view is part of the games "culture" (people do consider these games more console-sim than arcade though). Comparison videos are constantly being created to show the differences and to show the strengths and weaknesses of each game.

Now, the Grid series is obviously thought of as more of an arcade series, so the cockpit view is not nearly as important with it's base crowd. The game sold well, so I think you may never see a cockpit view in the series again (though PC has camera mods to include them). I guess my entire point is that it is too bad that it has to be that way for the Grid series. I did not enjoy the second one nearly as much as the first directly due to the absent cockpit view, but I am definitely in the minority.