#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Anyone know much of this game and how good/fun/meh it may be?

http://www.macgamest...duct/2697/GRID/

The images and vid looks impressive. But those never show gameplay for games like these. So, personal opinions?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Well, I have played Grid on every platform that it was currently available. Grid is a very good racing game. The physics are good/OK (a bit 'wobbly') and there are assists that are adjustable for novice and expert drivers. It all depends on if you are a sim-snob or are flexible in what racing games you play. No matter what though, the game is fun to play and there is a lot of content available for the game. You get the DLC in the game which makes it even a better value. The graphics are great even though the game is quite old by todays standards. But still hold up very well. The PC version looked great and the Mac version should look just as good. The nice thing is that with an older game like this coming the requirements for the game should be a bit lower and high end Macs should be able to run this at the highest levels without any major problems. And the fact that Feral is getting this version ready for Mac racers means the game has been about as optimized as it can be. I still play this game every now and then just for the cockpit views alone!

Also, the damage in the game is pretty spectacular. There are times when you might just want to smash into something just to see how it looks.

Again, Feral is kicking ass with Mac racing games. F1 2012, Dirt 2 and now Grid! Edwin, you guys are doing a great job ;)
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 12 March 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Anyone know much of this game and how good/fun/meh it may be?

http://www.macgamest...duct/2697/GRID/

The images and vid looks impressive. But those never show gameplay for games like these. So, personal opinions?
If you have played TOCA/DTM Race Driver 3 in the past: GRID's this game's successor, just like the DIRT series is the successor to the Colin McRae games. The changes from Race Driver to GRID are also very similar to those from CMR to DIRT: a little less simulation, a bit more "fun sport".

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1439 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Awesome! Hope this makes it to IMG front page!
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Well, I can say I'm not a racing snob (don't own a wheel or pedals). But I also don't like racing games where the physics are just completely unbelievable either. I have not played many racing games, mainly because I hate time-limits in games (I want to have fun, not be under constant stress!). However a good racing game that comes along, does tend to perk my interest.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 13 March 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

I hate time-limits in games

That's why I didn't finish the last timed Borderlands 2 quest in Eridium Blight.  I was like, "Not again, you've done this to me twice already, not fun!"  And I make it a point to finish ALL the quests.  Enough is enough.  It makes me angry when a game makes me angry... and that's angry squared.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 March 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

That's why I didn't finish the last timed Borderlands 2 quest in Eridium Blight.  I was like, "Not again, you've done this to me twice already, not fun!"  And I make it a point to finish ALL the quests.  Enough is enough.  It makes me angry when a game makes me angry... and that's angry squared.
The "Customer Service" mission? I found the timed missions in BL2 a breeze when you go to the locations you have to visit in these timed missions and kill each and every enemy there beforehand. If you don't tally too much, the enemies won't respawn when you're doing the delivery and you can focus on the driving.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 March 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

The "Customer Service" mission? I found the timed missions in BL2 a breeze when you go to the locations you have to visit in these timed missions and kill each and every enemy there beforehand. If you don't tally too much, the enemies won't respawn when you're doing the delivery and you can focus on the driving.

That's exactly what I do, it's impossible otherwise.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Really?  I blow through those missions with no trouble at all.  (Well, strictly speaking I technically don't actually have Borderlands 2 yet.  But when I do play it, that's what I imagine will happen.)

--Eric

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

This is probably because when Eric plays it, he'll be using the Frost Bobblehead Powerup for effortless backflipping headshots. Or something.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#11 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

Do they have that in Borderlands 2?  That's what I used to beat Borderlands 1...a single backflipped sniper headshot went through all the bosses simultaneously.  Totally rad.

--Eric

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 March 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

You should try Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask then. The entire game is on a timer.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 14 March 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

You should try Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask then. The entire game is on a timer.

Hopefully, when the timer times out, the game deletes itself.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Pathways Into Darkness and Starflight were the only times I've ever seen "game on a timer" work with the enjoyment of the game rather than against it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#15 Djevlen

Djevlen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

I'm glad that they're porting Grid, its a completely different racing game than F1 2012.
Its more of an arcade racer than a pure simulator, and all though there are plenty of driver aids to off and other settings its still not a full-blooded simulator in my opinion which is good because now everyone of us can pretend that we are the new "the Stig":-)

Go Feral!
Mid-2011 27' iMac:  i5 3.1Ghz 16gb ram 6970m 1gb 1tb HDD
2010 17' MBP i7 2.66Ghz 8gb ram GT330m512 320gb HDD
iPhone 5 Black 64gb
iPad 4 Black 64gb Wifi

#16 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

Unlike the Windows version it comes with all the DLC packs, for some reason the PC never got the DLC. Gives you Mount Panorama (aka Bathurst) and a nice collection of new cars to play with. :)

Edwin

#17 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Cool!

I like when games come out with the stuff that should be part of them.

You know what is a total turn-off in my buying process? Finding a game on steam, and it has 20 or so DLC listed under it all for sale separately  I say screw it, and wipe the game off my radar.

-Fm [1oM7]

#18 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

^ What he said.

Games should do what the last couple Fallouts and the last couple Uncharteds have done (and apparently, what Feral's done with GRID). After the game's been out a year and all DLC is finished, rerelease it with all DLC on the disc/main download for new purchasers.

Eric5h5:

#19 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

^ Well said. In terms of games, I'm always way behind the curve. I prefer to wait a year or two and buy the total package, usually without game-breaking bugs. Rare exception: Mass Effect 3. Bought the super deluxe special edition for like 100 $ on release date and it was the crappiest PS3 port ever with tons of bugs. Learned my lesson.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#20 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostJan, on 20 March 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

^ Well said. In terms of games, I'm always way behind the curve. I prefer to wait a year or two and buy the total package, usually without game-breaking bugs. Rare exception: Mass Effect 3. Bought the super deluxe special edition for like 100 $ on release date and it was the crappiest PS3 port ever with tons of bugs. Learned my lesson.

Yeah, I'm fairly behind, and rarely buy 'new' games too. Mainly because they seem to need a year to sort themselves out with patches or user hacks to get them running well. By that time, I like to find 'packs' that include more of the DLC with them.

I mentioned a selling turn-off, but I can also mention a selling turn-on... GOTY editions, or Full Bundles. I love those and kind of eat them up because it means I don't have to go hunt down all the crap that shoulda been in it, or where to get it, or what order to install it. I just get "all" and bam, done, now I can play and enjoy myself ;)

Also, good to know about Mass Effect 3. I never bought it because I hate that its not on Steam (for my PC). I refuse to buy anything or even install that crap-popsnizzle-smurfette-frak Origin thing.

-Fm [1oM7]