4 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8477 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Yesterday inXile Entertainment announced the beginning of its Kickstarter for Torment: Tides of Numenera, a spiritual successor to the classic Planescape: Torment fantasy RPG. A few hours later the 900,000 target had been reached, bringing Mac and Windows PC gamers one step closer to the new fantasy epic. Set in the world of Monte Cook's Numenara role playing setting, the game will focus on the elements "that made people appreciate PST so much."

Torment: Tides of Numenera is a game set in the world of Monte Cook’s new tabletop RPG setting, Numenera. Torment continues the thematic legacy of Planescape: Torment, a critically acclaimed role-playing game from 1999 that's considered by many to be a hallmark for storytelling in computer RPGs. With Torment, we're striving to create a rich role-playing experience that explores similar deep, personal themes. Here's the scoop:
  • Torment is a single-player, isometric role-playing game.
  • You will play a single, specific character, though you will encounter optional NPC companions you may choose to include in your party.
  • The story-driven game will have a rich dialogue system and approach similar to that of Planescape: Torment.
  • The game will be developed in the Unity engine for PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux platforms.
  • The game will be available in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish.
  • The game will be distributed DRM-free. (You’ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available.)
You are the Last Castoff, the final link in the chain of the lives of the being they call the Changing God. He once was a man who discovered a way to use the relics of the ancients to cheat death and skip across the face of centuries in a succession of bodies. But he never knew that his bodies lived on as his consciousness fled, a new consciousness arising in each. Now he has awakened an age-old enemy, the Angel of Entropy, and his days of change are gone as the Angel hunts him and all his works. That includes... you.

With the ever-present threat of oblivion looming over you, you must find your sire before he—and you—are eradicated by the avenging Angel. You will find allies and enemies among the other castoffs. You might inhabit their minds for a time through the devices called “the Meres,” turning their lives to your advantage. You will travel across the face of the Ninth World, and above and below it, with your companions at your side—or alone, if you wish. Your quest will take you to alternate dimensions and distant worlds under strange suns; particular Meres might afford you even more bizarre experiences, such as folding time itself. And you will build your legacy as you find your answer to the question:

What does one life matter?

The nature of your character is such that you attract others—powerful but fundamentally broken people who seek out your presence. They might hold some of your answers, and they may be some of your closest allies... or they might be among your most dangerous enemies. They need your help, and you can make them whole or exploit them for your mission, even if it means their ultimate doom.

Learn more about the game at the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Just backed this for $35! I never played the original games, but I heard they were amazing, and I'm a fan of this gamestyle and story.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostWumpus, on 07 March 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Just backed this for $35! I never played the original games, but I heard they were amazing, and I'm a fan of this gamestyle and story.

There was only one.

#4 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Nearly 2 Million already. I bet the other Kickstarter campaigners are going to start actively hating inXile. :)

In other news, IMG received an email from one of InXile's producers letting us know that:

the Mac version is confirmed with no need of a stretch goal for it. We got a lotta love for the Mac community and the support they gave us with Wasteland 2, so now it’s in from day 1.

Spiffy! It's always good to hear that we Mac gamers make a difference.

#5 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostWumpus, on 07 March 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

I never played the original...
As Hansi said, there was only one original Torment.

But the bigger question is, what are you waiting for?