Aspyr 'updated' Rollercoaster Tycoon 3... to not longer work on 10.6 ?!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

I got a great idea! Lets post an update to a game that a lot of 10.6 users bought and play, and for the hell of it, force the new version of the game to only run on 10.7! Oh, and lets not give any patch notes as to what was actually FIXED in this game!

Dick move, Aspyr.

Roll back time... oh wait, can't!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Luddite!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Chloroform!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

I'm still upset that I can run Rage on my MBP under Windows no problem but the Mac version explodes because my 8600 isn't supported.

Dangit, Aspyr!

Support our old stuff. :P
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Upgrading is for weenies! ;)

You know, this 'problem' with the rollercoaster game, has actually got me plotting out ways to give customers the option to rollback from a version upgrade if the upgrade is a downgrade. Its a gob of work, and requires a backlog of older files to remain in the system, so there isn't any real timeline on getting such a feature added (or even approved by the boss).

I just wonder how many other developers will do dick moves like that, causing such an influx of support tickets of "I upgraded this thing, and now it wont even run on my mac!?!??!?!?!? I WANT A REFUND NOW! (despite I bought it 2 years ago)"

-Fm [1oM7]

#6 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

You'd think a patch could just check what OS version it's running on, and what OS version the updated game would require, but no.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Postbobbob, on 02 March 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

You'd think a patch could just check what OS version it's running on, and what OS version the updated game would require, but no.

What kind of a patch?  The kind you put on your missing eye, or the kind that fixes the whole in your jeans, or the kind that keeps the air in your inner tube, or the kind that fills up pot holes in the road?  Cause none of those would be able to check your OS Mr. Smarty Pants.  Best to vet your info before you go posting willy nilly.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postbobbob, on 02 March 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

That would sure be nice. I really hate the whole autoupdate thing where it says, "A newer version is available! Download and install??" Then it does so. Then it goes, "lolz, I deleted your old copy and I don't run on this version of the Mac OS. Have fun Googling."

Mother@^#%@.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

One word: Time Machine.  Wait, that's two words.  OK, one word: Time-Machine!  There.  (Or, you know, pretty much any backup.)

--Eric

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Time machine eats terabytes like trail mix though. I prefer to just clone to an image every month or so. And while I could just go pull up the backup image, sometimes The Google is faster.

But not upgrading on an incompatible version would be faster than everything.

Eric5h5:

#11 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Nah, I have a 2TB Time Machine drive that goes back to December 2011 with 500GB to spare yet.  When it's full it just deletes the oldest backups as needed.  Having what is basically a versioning system for all your stuff I've found to be pretty indispensable on a number of occasions; one of those "can't see how I ever lived without this" things.

--Eric

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Well that probably depends on how much stuff you're backing up and how large of files you move around too... just one copy of everything in compressed DMGs eats about 2 TB for me and ≥3TB HDDs with enclosures are still 'spensive. :)

Eric5h5:

#13 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 01 March 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I got a great idea! Lets post an update to a game that a lot of 10.6 users bought and play, and for the hell of it, force the new version of the game to only run on 10.7! Oh, and lets not give any patch notes as to what was actually FIXED in this game!

Dick move, Aspyr.

They "aspyr" to be horrible at customer service these days. The last five or so emails I have sent to them have all received the same response along the lines of... "We thank you for contacting us here at support and we are now aware of this issue. I cannot say much at this time, but an announcement will be made within the next few weeks." A few of my emails were sent over three years ago... lovely.

#14 AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan

Aspyr

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 01 March 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

Dick move, Aspyr.

I must say, I'm a little confused here.  The recent releases of RCT3 were for the Steam and Mac App Store, which didn't have the game available on the Mac in the first place.   There was no patch issued for the existing versions of RCT3, as there weren't any significant changes to the existing game.  What did you install over your copy of RCT3 that worked on 10.6?