What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1588 replies to this topic

#81 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 31 March 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Despite my resolution to reduce my backlog, I ended up playing UT '99 again. Damn, that game is still good.
M M M M M O N S T E R   K I L L ! ! !

I cut my FPS domination teeth on that game duking it out against Inhuman-dificulty bots, and then Halo Mac made it official.

I'm planning to get that sucker set up and running under Windows on my MBP this month with all the old awesome maps. Really pisses me off UT99 for OSX just got abandoned half-finished, but at least now I'll be able to run it like I did in the OS9 glory days. Even if it's under-ew-Windows.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#82 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostJan, on 01 April 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Ha ha, not really. Her family lives 1000 miles away from our place and I need to get some work done this week. So no holidays for me. :)
Was the listing in your last post the 'work'? :P
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#83 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostFrost, on 01 April 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

I'm planning to get that sucker set up and running under Windows on my MBP this month with all the old awesome maps. Really pisses me off UT99 for OSX just got abandoned half-finished, but at least now I'll be able to run it like I did in the OS9 glory days. Even if it's under-ew-Windows.
The game actually runs just perfectly (and without hassle) in a Wine wrapper when you use the OpenGL renderer. That's how I'm playing it.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#84 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:46 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 02 April 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

The game actually runs just perfectly (and without hassle) in a Wine wrapper when you use the OpenGL renderer. That's how I'm playing it.
I would have done it that way, but for wanting to use non-Steam Workshop mods, like ones from the Nexus.

...unless that can still work?

By the way, a few others on here play it that way.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#85 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

Kerbal Space program. First launch last night managed my "Redstone 1" two-stage up to 73.9km. Sub-orbital I know, but the music changes when you hit 70+ km and the view was pretty spectacular.

Next up, the full version of the game and my first orbital flight.

P.S. Only girls need the SAS module activated during ascent. Real men understand pitch, roll and yaw, and fly without the aid of a computer.
P.P.S. Unity rocks!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#86 uff0

uff0

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

SC2 (HOTS), Dota 2 and a bit of Diablo III from time to time.

#87 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on 02 April 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

I would have done it that way, but for wanting to use non-Steam Workshop mods, like ones from the Nexus.

...unless that can still work?
There are Steam Workshop mods for the classic UT? :blink:

But there isn't any reason why any UT mod shouldn't work. The only thing that could make things a wee bit complicated is when the mod insists on a dedicated launcher, but I can't remember any mod for UT '99 that wouldn't have been accessible from within the normal game.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#88 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Some bigger TC mods came with 'installers' that don't work well with the wrapper method.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#89 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Ooops, I replied to the wrong thread. Oh well.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#90 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Now playing "The Bard's Tale" on my Mac & iPhone, and picked up Bioshock Infinite on the PS3. Dead Space is on hold until I finish it.

#91 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

So, finally done with Doom 3!

I enjoyed the game, although it did get too repetitive in the last third part of the game. At that point there wasn't really any story left but "Kill bad guys, stop invasion from hell". It isn't a masterpiece, but I do think the darkness/shadows part worked quite well, although they could have made it somewhat more interesting than "Pick up armor, enemy spawn"/"Go through door, enemy jump at you"/"Go onto tile, enemy spawn"/Repeat. Again, the 2/3 of the game was definitely the most enjoyable. I wouldn't have minded more of the "Here's a butt load of ammo, and here's a big open space, have fun!" shoot outs either.

But Doom 3 gave me what I expected, and prehaps a bit more. Yesterday when falling asleep, I couldn't stop thinking about demons... :P

Now, we wait for Doom 4, if it will ever arrive that is. And now, Diablo 3 (Currently in act 2), and then Neverwinter Nights 2. And then Quake 4 or Dragon Age I think. Or an indie game.. Or bioshock 2... Oh the choices...
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#92 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Just finished Darksiders. Whoo, that was a blast! I loved Zelda games in days of yore and playing this over the top grimdark Zelda homage was a joy from start to finish. Great art style, some of the most viscerally satisfying combat I've ever played, and that particularly Zelda-ish satisfaction of going back all around the map after each dungeon to cash in on all the treasure that you'd been teased with, that was visible but just out of reach because you didn't have the right equipment yet to get across that chasm or smash that barrier.

Looking forward now to diving fully into Heart of the Swarm, played a few levels into the campaign and was loving it, but found I didn't really have the time to properly enjoy as many games as I was trying to juggle with as little gaming time as I have, so I had put HotS to the back burner until I finished Darksiders which I was further along in already.

#93 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Darksiders was enjoyable huh? I picked that one up, and just started like the first chaotic area (level 1 + tut I guess it is)... but havn't played since. I will get back to it because it holds promise.

However I really hate it when designers think to throw people into a completely chaotic first area when they've never played the fraking game before. Drives me up the wall. I like to get acclimated into a game learning its controls and features first before being thrown into a mess.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#94 MGregory666

MGregory666

Fanatic

• IMG Writers
  • 72 posts
  • Steam Name:MGregory666

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Currently playing Dishonored and Deux Ex (on Mac).

Both games are very similar in terms of game play and design.

#95 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 24 March 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

I wouldn't say I hated the Uncharted games,they just failed to keep me really interested.

The puzzle solving was always an essential part of a Tomb Raider game for me. The lack of it in the new Tomb Raider is definitely a reason for me to not being interested in it much. I might pick it up when it's cheap some time, but not any time soon.

I just started played Tomb Raider this afternoon. I've played the last 4 tomb raiders or so, and in short, I believe the newest one is the best Tomb Raider I have ever played.

It like a darker, grimmer, version of Uncharted - there some (in the moment) shocking violence in some of the cut scenes, but it's used in a very effective way to draw you into the story more. I'm only two hours in, but I really don't have any complaints. I've been playing it in a "story run" where I'm avoiding the tombs for the most part, and focusing on the story. Once I complete, I'm gonna throw it on hard difficulty and do a completionist run.

Summary of my thoughts without any spoilers (keep in mind I've only played the first two hours of the story):
Story: top notch (although there is some minor little details that annoyed me like Frost mentioned)
Graphics: very good. I'm playing on PC on the 'high' graphics settings (there's still ultra and ultimate above that) and it makes Uncharted look kind of ugly.
Gameplay: very good. It plays very similar to Uncharted, just in a more serious tone.

I loved Uncharted 1 and 2, and thought 3 was ok. And I love Tomb Raider.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#96 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 28 April 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Darksiders was enjoyable huh? I picked that one up, and just started like the first chaotic area (level 1 + tut I guess it is)... but havn't played since. I will get back to it because it holds promise.

However I really hate it when designers think to throw people into a completely chaotic first area when they've never played the fraking game before. Drives me up the wall. I like to get acclimated into a game learning its controls and features first before being thrown into a mess.

You're pretty much an unstoppable badass for most of that first scene so far as I recall. It is epic and in your face with a lot of popsnizzle going on, but you can button mash your way through it. The game does actually do a good job of teaching you how to play and you get more time to take it in and practice at your own pace in the areas that follow.

If I ding this game points in any categories it would be: 1) somewhat wonky console-port controls take a while to get used to, although most of the real clunkiness is in the non-action screens like inventory, combat is good and easy to get into. And then 2) the story didn't quite make sense, which was a little disappointing for a world with such a well-done aesthetic. Had a sort of curiously disjointed feel, where the story-exposition dialogue scenes are individually good and each feel like they could be part of a good story, but they somehow didn't connect up smoothly enough and I often felt like I was missing something. I think it's safe to call both of those minor quibbles though. Game was just a ton of fun to play, bottom line.

#97 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

Back to Quake 4!

This game has it all: great action, level design, ambiance, every weapon has a great feel and the initial sensation of being part of something bigger. And like every ID Tech 4, the graphics are still amazing.

I keep wondering why there wasn't any expansion pack... am I alone enjoying this game ?

#98 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Not alone at all.  Quake 4 is an awesome game.  Great weapons, maps and monsters.  I still cringe when I think about getting Stroggified.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#99 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Finally finished Bioshock 2, now early into Arkham Asylum. And by early I mean I've been playing for a bazillion hours and the game says I have completed 0.001%.

On deck is Heart of the Swarm, but unless my day job lets up I won't get to it until October-ish..
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#100 Nox

Nox

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Steam Name:Uncle Bender

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I've been game-hopping like crazy, mostly because good deals are so frequently to be found these days... lately, it's been, oh, let's see... still some GuildWars II, The Witcher II, Crusader Kings II, Stronghold 3, Prince of Persia, sometimes Endless Space, Left4Dead II, and now and then I even get the itch to go back to Diablo III, which says much about how "awful" that game really is, I think. Oh, and every now and then I also enjoy a few rounds of Elder Sign, for some atmospheric quiet time, although the game can be so damn difficult to win.

Still unfinished in my library: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, King's Bounty: The Legend, Splice, Europa Universalis III, Heroes of Might and Magic V, The Darkness II, The Settlers 7, Tomb Raider: Underworld, StarCraft: Wings of Liberty, Velvet Assassin, and Trine 2, which got way too frustrating at some point.

And yes, I'm easily bored. :ph34r:

I will say that some games have held my attention more than others—the Witcher II was certainly among them, as well as the brilliant Crusader Kings II, and after having received a hearty round of patches, Stronghold 3 is actually very enjoyable, too.
27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, running OS 10.11.3