What games are people playing these days!?

• Please log in to reply
1640 replies to this topic

#41 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 28 February 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Spent 4 hours trying to get Dark Messiah to run fluid for more than 10 seconds before it goes to fps stutter hell. Game is a piece of crap. But I managed to hackjob it to running somewhat playable. Crazy part was, if I reduced any settings from maximum, the game got WORSE jitter haha! Anyhow, so I'm trying to trudge through that game for one final time before I jamb that SecurROM DVD crap in the closet forever.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?  Got that on Steam ridiculously cheap a couple years ago, ran nicely in Crossover on my Mac.  Somehow I'd never heard of it, but enjoyed it a lot and will probably go through it again sometime, which I rarely do with games (too much new stuff).

--Eric

#42 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 28 February 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?  Got that on Steam ridiculously cheap a couple years ago, ran nicely in Crossover on my Mac.  Somehow I'd never heard of it, but enjoyed it a lot and will probably go through it again sometime, which I rarely do with games (too much new stuff).

Yup. I had bought it a long long time ago, and it ran really good on that old PC I had, and I had always thought "that was fun, I should replay that on my new rig sometime"... but apparently the faster/newer/better rig you got, the worse it begins to behave. At least on PC. Running it under an emulator, or wrapping it may have better results. But it surely hates modern hardware and 64bit :(

I spent so much time digging through old forum posts about 'this works for me!' posts and trying all the hacks people came up with (most just being stupid things). Try this, set this, dont set this, run this, move this, adjust that... BAH! None of the posted things worked. So I started just messing with random things, and stuff, and finally it began to behave a bit better than snot. The worst thing about it all....... the game would run absolutely fluid with full details for about 15 seconds after 'focusing' the app. Then it would progressively get worse like a wall smacked it up side the head. Obviously I couldn't hit quick-save quick-load every 15 seconds to play smooth ;) HAHA.

Anyhow, its running now. Not as great as it should be given the hardware and age of the game. However its at least playable now to where I can dodge 1 ridiculously overpowered foe and survive. This game is ridiculous difficult on the tougher setting :(

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#43 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Maybe it's the SecurRom nonsense messing it up, which I assume doesn't exist in the Steam version.

--Eric

#44 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Naw (I wish it were that easy!), thats just launch-time slowness, more of a nuisance than problematic. Its fine now, its running 'ok'. Enough to reach the end, then delete and forget forever. Move on to something else ;) Got a huge list of 'something else' ... *sigh*.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#45 MacgamerHQ

MacgamerHQ

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

I'm currently rocking some F1 2012 on my mac, works great with the Xbox 360 wireless controller!

Next will be Arkham City :)
Ric from MacGamerHQ.com

#46 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Still catching up on some cool games...

Currently playing:
SWAT 4
Company of Heroes

Looking forward to:
DmC: Vergil's Downfall

richmlow
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#47 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Finally finished Psychonauts yesterday. But I still have to get 6 Steam achievements to reach 100% completion.
Working on that.

Back to 'The Book of Unwritten Tales' and 'The Witcher', even though the latter is so buggy I'm not sure if I will finish
the game anytime soon.

Also in the queue: 'Batman Arkham Asylum' and 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution'.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#48 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Segway'd into World of Goo again for some reason. Built a tower of 29.7 meters... but it was sooo sloppy.

Was gonna buy that "Galaxy on Fire 2" game... but then decided to hold off. I got so much backlog, I need to just finish stuff now.

-Fm [1oM7]

#49 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3818 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

I got GoF2 when it was free. God I love Appshopper.com.

Been rocking Baldurs Gate and Real Racing 3 from my hospital bed.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#50 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 12 March 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Segway'd into World of Goo again for some reason. Built a tower of 29.7 meters... but it was sooo sloppy.

Was gonna buy that "Galaxy on Fire 2" game... but then decided to hold off. I got so much backlog, I need to just finish stuff now.

Yeah, working on backlog seems like a good idea. I own World of Goo for Mac (even boxed) and iOS, but only played for like an hour or two. But I think I should revisit this game -- I really like the concept.

macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#51 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Wargame: European Escalation.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#52 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Just started Dead Space on my PS3. :laugh:

#53 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:11 AM

Ha ha, we're like a bunch of old men now -- always way behind 'modern gaming' or whatever that means.

Speaking of old games, I've started Assassin's Creed 2 a few days ago and despite its weird controls
and some minor graphical glitches in the Mac port the game is great fun. Really enjoy it.

macOS Sierra

#54 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

Added Legion [iPad].
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#55 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

Bastion. The Battle for Hill 218 (iPad) ... a great little game.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#56 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Bunch of new games this month.

iPad: Legion
PS3: Tomb Raider
Xbox: Gears of War Judgment

Verdict:

Legion: Great!
Tomb Raider: Incredibly awesome!
Gears of War Judgment: Campaign is pretty fun, but multiplayer is horribad compared to the refined wonder that was Gears 3.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#57 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostFrost, on 20 March 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

PS3: Tomb Raider
How does it compare to the previous Tomb Raiders? According to the reviews, it appears to be a good game, but it apparently hasn't got much to do with the old games. That's why I'm a bit on the fence regarding that game. The Zero Punctuation review sums my doubts up pretty well.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#58 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 21 March 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

How does it compare to the previous Tomb Raiders? According to the reviews, it appears to be a good game, but it apparently hasn't got much to do with the old games. That's why I'm a bit on the fence regarding that game. The Zero Punctuation review sums my doubts up pretty well.
Although I never played the previous games, I have played five hours of this latest one. It is not a puzzle game, it's an action adventure with puzzles in it...I suppose much like the Uncharted or Assassin's Creed series. I do however still think it is a great game regardless and I currently am liking it more than Yahtzee did.

Hope that helps, ;)
Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#59 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on 21 March 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

It is not a puzzle game, it's an action adventure with puzzles in it...I suppose much like the Uncharted or Assassin's Creed series.
That's actually the part that worries me: I never really could get into Uncharted since this action-orientation is not what I expect from games that have been compared to Tomb Raider as much as Uncharted, much less from a game that actually bears the title "Tomb Raider"...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#60 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 21 March 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

I'm not the best person to ask as I was never really into the Tomb Raider series. I only played Anniversary on the Xbox in 2008 on a whim, and enjoyed it enough to pick up Underworld used off eBay for the PS3 in 2009, but I wouldn't call myself a big fan. I did enjoy those while they lasted though, as the environments were cool and I quite enjoyed the puzzles, although I felt the combat was pretty awkward and clunky, and story-wise Lara was as cardboard cutout as they come.

While sometimes I find myself in complete and total agreement with Yahtzee (see Resident Evils 5 and 6, Modern Warfare, Black Ops, etc.), in this case I couldn't disagree more. Beat the game a few days ago and I loved it and will be starting a playthrough on Hard after finishing Gears Judgment's campaign. I thought the story was quite good, found Lara's character arc believable/relatable and actually cared about her and what she was going through for the first time ever.

That said, if you hate Uncharted, you may not like this one (I loved Uncharted 1 and 2, was meh on 3). It is very close in gameplay style, although Lara isn't involved in quite as many insanely lopsided shootouts as Nate, and the game's much more open and less on rails. The combat also comes in fits and starts in between exploration segments, rather than being mostly nonstop as with Uncharted. It'd best compare to Uncharted 1, and parts of 2. Definitely not 3.

Puzzle segments are there-ish, but nothing on the level of the previous Tomb Raiders, and that certainly was disappointing. But that was my only major disappointment, and they left in numerous spots that can be opened up for DLC tomb raiding in future, which I hope they do, and include more difficult puzzles on those (EDIT: You stupid sons of bitches). Yahtzee does have a point with the survival element being tacked on after Lara initially gets some food. I ended up having her hunt/forage for something two or three times per game day just to keep it believable, but in reality you don't need to do that at all. I can understand that on easy/casual mode for people whose heads would explode if they had to think too much, but I'd have appreciated a Fallout: New Vegas-esque hardcore mode where you gotta keep food, water, and shelter in mind during the course of the game.

One thing that really did bug me: I was a little iffy on Lara not properly treating a pretty serious puncture wound for like a day, plot armor notwithstanding. I was expecting her to bleed out on me any minute.

Story-wise, gameplay-wise, combat-wise, and I-give-a-crap-about-the-main-character-wise, I'd say it kicks previous Tomb Raiders in the teeth. But it is a good deal more action/adventure than puzzle-solving this time 'round.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.