4 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

I've got one of the new style Mini's (i5) with no DVD drive.  

During a large file transfer, the power went out briefly due to the wind, and now my file permissions are all screwed up.  iTunes thinks the library is on a locked disk and wont open, and the administrator has been removed from all file access.

I need a good utility to rebuild the permissions (i've tried OS X's disk utility, and it finds all sorts of errors and repairs them....

and then i do the repair again and it does it again, and again... ive run it about 12 times now and its still finding things.  

I used to use Disk Warrior, and it worked great - is there a version of Disk Warrior that works on a Lion-based DVD-driveless Mini?  

Thanks

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7183 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

Yes, the latest version of Diskwarrior also runs on all recent Macs. If you have an external DVD drive, you should also be able to boot your mini from the DiskWarrior DVD.

I have to say that I switched to TechTool, though, since DiskWarrior has shown a propensity to be out of date (and not being able to boot) always when I needed it. TechTool seems to be a bit more regularly updated and also works great for me.

Other than that: have you also tried to repair not only the permissions with the Disk Utility, but the whole disk? You'll have to boot from the Recovery Partition to do that, though.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5196 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

Another vote for TechTool here. I usually use Disk Utility, but if that's not doing the job, I also use TechTool Pro 6.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15757 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Tech Tool Pro 6 here.  You can download it from Micromat, doesn't need a DVD drive at all.  It creates a boot partition that allows you to boot from a hard disk rather than a DVD so it runs faster.  It shows up in your "Start Disk" list of drives in System Preferences.  Simply reboot into it and run the disk utilities on your former boot drive.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1743 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

For permission related issues I've generally either just used the terminal or this: http://www.lagenteso...hmod/index.html