• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

Leopard WebKit

What is WebKit

I wish I'd known about this months ago. If you've still got a PowerPC Mac running Leopard like me and you were never really into Tenfourfox, this thing is a godsend. Apple abandoned us with Safari 5.0.6, on which web browsing, even on a Quad G5, is... uncomfortable. Regular stuttering, always listening to my fans ramping up on websites, H.264 video problems.

Discovered Leopard WebKit this morning, downloaded it and installed it. OMG. Application runs basically as Safari, with all my bookmarks and extensions in place and functional. Except the web now feels like I'm using Safari 6 on my MBP. Web pages show up much more smoothly (Google+ is the biggest difference; always slow on Safari 5.0.6, now it's every bit as snappy as on my MBP), video loads and plays more smoothly, and best of all, my fans are quiet.

Finally have a bloody modern web browser back on my PowerMac.

EDIT: Looks like there's one for Tiger too, albeit less frequently updated. TenFourKit

Will give that a try on my PowerBook later today.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Good find. I adore WebKit... honestly, I don't even bother coding for anything but that (screw the hacks for non-webkit browsers!!!! AND BLOW ME IE!). Haha. Nice to get a modern webkit browser on my old 10.4 mac.

I did notice my 10.5 mac's chrome was all "sorry! no more updates for you!", and I was all *sigh* ...

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Well, it doesn't rocket up to Safari 6 speeds like Leopard Webkit on my G5, but TenFourKit definitely runs a damn sight smoother on my PowerBook than Safari 4.1.3, while maintaining Click to Flash compatibility. It's also a LOT friendlier with the forum software and doesn't get stuck telling the forum I've read a topic or performing a moderator action like 4.1.3 frequently does. Nice, nice, nice.

Although the speed thing probably has a lot more to do with my G5 being on par with or slightly surpassing my MBP in horsepower versus my poor old TiBook being about 1/8th the speed on a good day. For some reason it slipped my mind that I could just switch drives to boot up in Tiger on my G5 and test TenFourKit in an equivalent environment there earlier, duhhh. Have to give that a go. So far, a definite up vote for both Leopard WebKit and TenFourKit from me.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

Wanted to give this a shout out again. The Leopard WebKit developer(s) have been going overdrive for the past month and if you've still got PPC machines lying around, now it's REALLY worth getting. Super fast, super stable, maximum plug-in compatibility, works like a charm.

Eric5h5:

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Thanks.  Downloading Webkit for my manly man's G4 that's still running Leopard.  Wife's been complaining about it, normally I just distract it with putting the lotion on it's skin but now I have a solution until we can get that Macbook Pro.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 September 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

Thanks.  Downloading Webkit for my manly man's G4 that's still running Leopard.  Wife's been complaining about it, normally I just distract it with putting the lotion on it's skin but now I have a solution until we can get that Macbook Pro.

I sent a brand new MBP to you a few months ago, what are you yacking on about? Eric5h5 came by the house, picked it up, and said he'd deliver it right away. It should have .... oh.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 September 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

For PPC I also recommend these for speeding up browsing:

Ghostery - Blocks the annoying trackers, as well as little background popsnizzles that eat up CPU time. I use this on my MBP too.
ClickToPlugin - Blocks all plug-ins and replaces them with a generic little gray box with a plugin symbol in it. If it's a plug-in you actually want to run, you just click on it as the name implies. Allows you to whitelist sites in the prefs if this gets annoying on a frequently used site. Helps stop poorly-coded slllooooowwwww Flash that's all over the web.

Eric5h5:

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thanks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostFrost, on 08 September 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

Wanted to give this a shout out again. The Leopard WebKit developer(s) have been going overdrive for the past month and if you've still got PPC machines lying around, now it's REALLY worth getting. Super fast, super stable, maximum plug-in compatibility, works like a charm.

I need to try this out on the flowerpot G4 iMac i have.  We use it at events to display schedules and stuff, but response of course was slow as a dog.  Either that or i really need to get good with a soldering iron so i can finally convert said Flowerpot into a Hackintosh (which is why i bought it).

#10 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

Definitely speeds up browsing on the 1.25Ghz G4 in the Flowerpot.  Still not a stellar experience, but way better (under both 10.5 and 10.4).  

Now to get on that project of gutting her and turning her into a modern Mac...

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

Webkit doesn't work with hotmail, which was my wife's original complaint.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Yeah, there's no getting around the

View PostTetsuya, on 15 October 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

Definitely speeds up browsing on the 1.25Ghz G4 in the Flowerpot.  Still not a stellar experience, but way better (under both 10.5 and 10.4).  
Yeah, there's no getting around the modern web wanting a lot more processing power. But at least a modern WebKit keeps Safari from tripping over itself constantly!

My mom's got that same machine as her secondary computer: 20" 1.25 GHz iMac G4, running 10.4.11 because she's got some classic apps she doesn't want to give up (Mac luddism runs in the family I guess). She's got a modern 2.66 GHz 2010 Mac mini as her primary though.

I actually pieced that iMac together for her from bits of two of them that had problems and then made one perfect one and one issue-ridden on that I eBayed (truthfully described of course). Run into anything while digging around inside it and have a question, feel free to hit me up for info. I tore down everything clear up to and including the PSU inside the dome, and swapped LCD panels as well. Only thing I didn't take apart was the arm.

Eric5h5:

#13 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

There's a guy who did a full-on Ivy Bridge (and now Haswell) Hackintosh inside one; i'm going a little more modest.  I'm going to use his method to match the wiring to a DVI plug, leave the original PSU inside it (to power the monitor, so no hacking/splicing power wires there) and then just drop a ~2011 Mac Mini in there, and plug the DVI into it.  I have a buddy with a 3D printer and some modeling skill who can make me a new backplate so the Mini's ports will be accessible.

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Heh! A mini in an iMac G4... now that is creative. If you take photos of that while doing it, or completed, I'd love to see that job.

Eric5h5:

#15 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

The new Minis, with the guts removed will just sit in there, they are so thin.  

No access to the disc drive, i dont think... unless i did a creative mount of a slimline external bus-powered drive.  Might be possible, but given that i haven't used the media drive on my machines for anything in over a year i do nt know that i'd bother.  

It's a project for over the winter if i can pick up a used new slimline mini cheap enough online.

#16 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

That reminds me of how I have a slimline external blu-ray drive that I sometimes use... mostly to rip blu-ray movies. It uses two USB ports.. one for data and one for power.

I had it velcroed underneath my desk for a while and hooked up to a USB hub but that hub was causing problems with my computer and I ended up removing it. 4 USB ports aren't enough when one has adaptors for a gamepad (two actually, a logitech and a wireless X360.. I mostly use the latter), one for an external IR sensor because Apple chose to not include them with the new iMacs and I use it for media center stuff (XBMC), a leap motion and an external USB hard drive for Time Machine. So since I can't keep it all plugged in all the time I mostly just keep the blu-ray drive in a desk drawer and get it out when I need it. I hardly ever use it though and I haven't installed very many games or apps with it.

I never realized how little I actually use optical drives until I got a computer that doesn't include a built in one. Most games I installed over the internet or transferred from a backup drive.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#17 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Big update to the stable release of Leopard WebKit. Now brings the same version of WebKit used in Safari 6.1 and 7 to PowerPC, and BOY is there a difference in performance! Run, don't walk, to upgrade your PowerMacs if you have 'em. Be sure to use "enable advanced features" too.

Eric5h5:

#18 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Is WebKit 537 Leopard the latest version?

(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)

#19 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yep. Unstable is on to 538.10, latest stable release is 537.4.

Eric5h5:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PowerPC, Safari, WebKit, Leopard, Tiger