the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostFrost, on 24 February 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

What model mouse are you using?

As stated above, I can wake my MacBook Pro running 10.8.2 just fine by nudging the mouse provided the tracker's got enough power. Same with Liberator's magic mouse on his iMac.

You're on a Mac Pro, right?

Maybe we can track down what's different between our systems and see what's up and get a solution, or at least come up with a workaround.

Mac Pro and a Logitech G5 mouse.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

FWIW, my 2009-ish Mac Pro running 10.8.2 wakes up when my mouse (beige Intellimouse Explorer) is moved.

(My problem is that it kernel-panicks on sleep or on wake a couple times a week, supposedly in the ATi radeon drivers. I've removed just about all of my third-party kernel extensions, hoping that fixes it.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#43 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Just played around with all my mice on all three machines. My Logitech G9x (wired, laser) can't wake my MacBook Pro (Mountain Lion) or my PowerMac (Leopard) or my PowerBook (Tiger) via movement, as the laser is shut off completely during sleep, nor can my cheapo IOGear wired mouse (wired, LED). That's the case whether they're plugged directly into the computer or into a powered USB hub.

However, my Logitech MX700 (wireless, LED), both the old green and new black G7s (wireless, laser), and M705 Marathon Mouse (wireless, laser) wake all three machines the moment they're moved, no matter what they're plugged into.

tBC, I'm not sure what to tell you other than go wireless or change mice. You've successfully awakened your Mac Pro with the G5 before under Snow Leopard, not another mouse? If so, maybe it was going "make me" when the Mac said "turn off the laser" and now Mountain Lion says it with a more authoritative voice.

If you really love the G5's feel, you could always watch eBay for a G7, as it's the exact same mouse, just with 2.4 GHz wireless, and I can guarantee both versions of it will instantly wake a Mountain Lion machine by motion since I just did it.

Posted Image
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#44 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

My Logitech Mx518 doesn't wake my Mac Pro from sleep just by moving it when running 10.6, you have to click it or press a key.  So it's not 10.8's fault.  Unless they put some anti-tBC code in there just to mess with him.  (Which is perfectly reasonable.  Heck, I would!)

--Eric

#45 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, I'm trying to remember if I ever had a wired mouse (excepting the awesome see-through MacAlly rollerball one I originally used with my G4 Digital Audio) that would wake a Mac from sleep. I really can't think of one.

That may be a Logitech thing though, because that MacAlly mouse was the last non-Logitech mouse I used with anything approaching regularity.

EDIT: On a side note, I still have the iKey keyboard from the MacAlly iKey/iMouse combo from way back when hooked up to my old G4. Not sure where my iMouse went though. I finally stopped using it because the left mouse button wouldn't click all the way, and I got fed up with the plastic shim I put inside it to fix that sliding out of place. Then my dad got me the Logitech Cordless MX Duo I think Christmas 2001 or 2002 and that was the beginning of Logitech fandom and an enduring love for a wireless KB/M setup. I'm still using that same Elite keyboard (I love that thing to death) with my G5 after all this time, although the 8 paint on the numberpad has been worn off from running forward in games, as well as the A and S paint on the letter keys. I'm assuming I've called lots of people asses over the years.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

This is the same mouse I've awakened my computer with for the last zillion years.  It's the longest lived mouse I've owned and it's still in excellent condition after numerous OS changes.  The keyboard is years old, came with the Mac Pro.  All of my hardware is the same.  Only after updating to Mt. Lion did it stop waking.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

Odd... I guess the trackpad input sleep removal business applies to your mouse too for some reason, yet not to wireless mice. :huh:

Again, dunno what to suggest other than going for a wireless version of the same mouse. I looked like crazy but there doesn't seem to be any way to toggle the Mac OS powering or not powering the laser/LED on wired mice during sleep, at least that Google can find.

I feel like there's gotta be some toggle somewhere though, if for no other reason than I can't keep a wired mouse's tracker powered after activating sleep on any of my machines, even going back to Tiger, yet you were doing it successfully as of Snow Leopard.

Currently playing with Tiger on the G5 while also installing Snow Leopard on my WD Passport so I can boot the MBP into Snow Leopard and see what happens. If I can successfully cause something to wake up by moving a wired mouse, maybe I can get some headway into figuring this out.

EDIT: Yeah, okay, I'm stumped now. Dug into the equipment drawer and located the original black translucent Apple Pro Mouse that came with my G4 Digital Audio and the white Mighty Mouse, same story. Put Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my MacBook Pro, still can't get power to any wired mouse's tracker while asleep.

At the point where I want to buy a G5 mouse now to experiment with it. Going to put up a saved search on eBay and try and snag one.

Out of curiosity, which model do you have, tBC? The original (silver and black with orange spraypaint in the center) or the revised model (blue-black scaley)?

Eric5h5:

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

The original model.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image
This is the mouse I still use with my new 2012 Laptop ;) WORKS GREAT! HAHA. Although, nudging it won't wake my mac from full
sleep (it will wake it from display sleep, but not full sleep)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester