#21 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 05 February 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Hehe. Apple is going the way of "lets make computers for idiots" (what I consider iPads/iPhones), instead of useful computing devices that can do anything professionals and hard core enthusiasts need/want. ;) Theres a lot of money in making things for masses of morons, so, from a business standpoint, I see their point. But meh, since when was Apple all about the masses?

Yep, hence increasingly it seems more about making even more money, regardless of compromising other factors.  

As regards "since when was Apple all about the masses?"  IMO, that process probably started soon after they dropped their PPC architecture for Intel. - Catch up later.

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Dashboard keeps crashing a moment after it is launched.  I am unable to remove widgets within Dashboard to find the problem widget, where on the hard drive are they so that I may remove them there?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

They used to be in:

~/Library/Widgets
/Library/Widgets

But I do not know if thats still the case.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

That's it thanks.  Found my stinky widget that was fouling up the place.  Dashboard works again.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 05 February 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

I know what you mean with Windows. Oddly (now that you bring it up), I never thought about compatibility issues with my games on my Win7 64bit. All my games just run. Despite many of them were built when Vista wasn't even a reality! That there, considering how many leaps and bounds Win7 is over XP, is kind of impressive. Will I switch all my productivity apps/development/browsing/personal apps and documents to Windows? frak no. But my 100% dedication to Apple has been waning over the years as Apple continues to piss me off to no end.

With windows it's completely different, since windows didn't have any architecture changes. Going from the PowerPC architecture to the x86 architecture is a complete change and is more different then going from a windows based computer to a macintosh one when it comes down to coding for both.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

One of the things I wiped out when I cleared my Widgets folder was iStat Pro.  When I tried to reinstall it Safari said it couldn't find the islayer.com server.  Been like that for a couple of days.  Now I was able to return iStat Pro to my widgets folder but the processes display at the very bottom is blanked out and I'd like to upgrade it to the latest version.  Anybody know what happened to iSlayer.com?  I have version 4.92, is there a more recent version and if so can you shoot me a copy of that widget please.  I promise never to be mean to you again.  Sorta.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Huh? I also have iStat Pro (also 4.92), but it's running without problems under ML for me. Odd. (Especially since I just read that it's supposed to be incompatible to ML....) Anyway, I think the company is now called Bjango.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#28 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 07 February 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

With windows it's completely different, since windows didn't have any architecture changes. Going from the PowerPC architecture to the x86 architecture is a complete change and is more different then going from a windows based computer to a macintosh one when it comes down to coding for both.

Well, no, it's significantly different coding for Windows because all the OS APIs are completely different.  It's rare that you're coding for the metal, so the CPU doesn't matter much for most apps except for endian issues.  (Which are a pain but still way way less of a difference than the OS architecture.)  The transition wasn't the "just flip a compiler switch" deal like Apple made it out to be, but compared to porting Windows code it kinda was.

--Eric

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 07 February 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Huh? I also have iStat Pro (also 4.92), but it's running without problems under ML for me. Odd. (Especially since I just read that it's supposed to be incompatible to ML....) Anyway, I think the company is now called Bjango.

Well I guess iStat Pro widget is done then, they must have moved on, it's not one of the apps on that site.  Still lots of other information displaying in iStat Pro so I'll keep it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, that was the latest version of iStat Pro before they abandoned it. If you need it again and can't find it, let me know; I've got it on all my machines.

It's been misbehaving on my PowerBook lately though and vanishing. I need to figure out where it keeps its prefs, I think that might be the issue... when I set up another user and use it there, it works fine.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

OK, here is one for the experts.  In all previous versions of the OS's that went to sleep I was able to wake it up by nudging the mouse.  I've been doing that to wake it since Energy Saver began.  Now in Mountain Lion it no longer recognizes moving the mouse to wake it, only pressing a key.  Now when I first upgraded I thought, "Fine, I'll just tap a key."  But by damn I am so well trained that I cannot keep from nudging the mouse first every damn time.  Once I sat there thinking, "Press a key" and my stupid arm reached over and nudged the damn mouse.  It is officially starting to piss me off, though I'll eventually retrain my reflexes, but I'm fed up.

How can I bring the mouse nudge back to wake the computer from sleep?  There must be some sort of terminal command.  I pray to Jack there must be.  Any skinny-necked, four-eyed, jangle-toothed nerds here who know the terminal command?  I promise I'll stop being mean to you.  I know, I promised that last time, but this time I mean it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Just stay at your computer, using it 24/7.  Then it won't have a chance to go to sleep, so you'll completely stop this problem at the source, and won't need to fiddle with band-aid solutions like terminal commands or whatever.  I can't believe you didn't think of this yourself, it's so simple and effective.  Sheesh.

--Eric

#33 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

There isn't a mouse-nudge-to-wake ability anymore. Apple thought people were doing it incorrectly, so they removed the ability. Like many other things.

I have since trained myself to push one of the 'arrow keys' so if the mac wakes and registers the keypress, it doesnt go ahead and do something really stupid like start renaming a file it was on, or executing some arbitrary command.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 23 February 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

There isn't a mouse-nudge-to-wake ability anymore. Apple thought people were doing it incorrectly, so they removed the ability. Like many other things.

I have since trained myself to push one of the 'arrow keys' so if the mac wakes and registers the keypress, it doesnt go ahead and do something really stupid like start renaming a file it was on, or executing some arbitrary command.

Frak you Apple.  That's worth some vigilante rocks through your Cupertino palace windows.  Why can't you just let us commoners decide for ourselves!  Are you the Nanny State computer company now?  I'm glad Sheryl Crow doesn't sit on Apples board of directors or they'd have us all wiping our butts with 3 squares of toilet paper.

I've been using the shift key as that doesn't affect anything... because of course I don't trust them to not register the key.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

The terminal command is:

sudo rm -rf

Then enter your password. It'll solve most problems you could possibly have*.

*DON'T ACTUALLY DO THAT.

Before we go smashing Apple's windows, just click the mouse button instead of moving it.

10.8 doesn't remove the ability to wake using a mouse, it's still there. It's just whatever mouse you're using probably isn't getting enough power over USB during sleep for its tracker to work. Commonly that's the case if you're using a wired laser mouse. My G9x can't wake my computers because its laser is unpowered during sleep, but clicking its mouse button can. Conversely my G7 laser can wake my machines just fine from movement, but that's because it's operating off an onboard battery and the USB RF receiver has enough power during sleep to receive signals.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#36 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostFrost, on 23 February 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

The terminal command is:

sudo rm -rf

Then enter your password. It'll solve most problems you could possibly have*.

*DON'T ACTUALLY DO THAT.

Before we go smashing Apple's windows, just click the mouse button instead of moving it.

10.8 doesn't remove the ability to wake using a mouse, it's still there. It's just whatever mouse you're using probably isn't getting enough power over USB during sleep for its tracker to work. Commonly that's the case if you're using a wired laser mouse. My G9x can't wake my computers because its laser is unpowered during sleep, but clicking its mouse button can. Conversely my G7 laser can wake my machines just fine from movement, but that's because it's operating off an onboard battery and the USB RF receiver has enough power during sleep to receive signals.
Yeah, backing Frost up here. I actually had to stop this command for our Magic Mouse. It kept pissing me off when I would accidentally move the mouse and the iMacwould wake up again. ...and of course if I tried to turn the mouse of whlle the iMac was asleep, turning the mouse off would actually wake the iMac again.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#37 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Heh, Lib, I always run into that on my G5. I use a G7 (wireless laser mouse) with that machine and I've got the mouse and keyboard on a slide out tray on a slide out desk that I button up when I'm not at that machine. I am always accidentally waking it up when I move the keyboard/mouse tray and the G7 moves ever so slightly and starts broadcasting "wake up, we're being used!"

On a side note, if you really, really must wake the Mac by moving the mouse rather than clicking it, you could try putting it on a powered USB hub. That might make sure the tracker stays powered during sleep assuming the mouse itself doesn't fully deactivate its own LED/Laser in low power mode.

Eric5h5:

#38 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 07 February 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

One of the things I wiped out when I cleared my Widgets folder was iStat Pro.  When I tried to reinstall it Safari said it couldn't find the islayer.com server.  Been like that for a couple of days.  Now I was able to return iStat Pro to my widgets folder but the processes display at the very bottom is blanked out and I'd like to upgrade it to the latest version.  Anybody know what happened to iSlayer.com?  I have version 4.92, is there a more recent version and if so can you shoot me a copy of that widget please.  I promise never to be mean to you again.  Sorta.

tBC - I remember having the same problem with iStat Pro when I first upgrade to ML.  You need to make some simple change in a config file to fix the processes not showing up.

Here is a link describing the change(s):  http://best-mac-tips...-mountain-lion/

Think there is also a link at the bottom of that page/post to a fixed version of iStat pro if you don't feel like getting your hands dirty...

#39 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Ozzy, you are awesome.  That's it, that works, iStat Pro is back to where it once was.  I have officially taken you off the "Torment" list and moved you over to the "Limbo" list.  The water boarding stops and now you get coffee breaks.  

Now if only I could resolve this mouse issue.  It's not just some whim, it's how I interacted with my computer, it was personal, mouse nudge was a part of my user interface I was very comfortable with.  Apple used to care about personal UI, now waking is one size fits all iron fisted law.  It's like I took my 1988 Toyota extra cab in for a brake upgrade and they replaced the key start system with a number pad just because they could and they didn't think I should have a say in it.  I didn't ask for it, I don't want it, it's a pain in the ass, and it is forever permanent.  You suck Apple.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#40 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

What model mouse are you using?

As stated above, I can wake my MacBook Pro running 10.8.2 just fine by nudging the mouse provided the tracker's got enough power. Same with Liberator's magic mouse on his iMac.

You're on a Mac Pro, right?

Maybe we can track down what's different between our systems and see what's up and get a solution, or at least come up with a workaround.

Eric5h5: