13 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8571 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

Several IMG readers have informed us that Valve's Half-Life is now available to Mac users through the company's Steam service. Originally released for Windows PCs in 1998, the first person shooter which launched a franchise has finally made its way to Apple computers.

Named Game of the Year by over 50 publications, Valve's debut title blends action and adventure with award-winning technology to create a frighteningly realistic world where players must think to survive. Also includes an exciting multiplayer mode that allows you to play against friends and enemies around the world.

Check out the links below for more information.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Wow, Mac people have been waiting for this to happen nearly as long as we waited for the last Duke Nukem game.

#3 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Oddly, it still shows PC only when I look on Steam.

EDIT: The Cult of Mac story notes this issue but then says it will download and run on your Mac regardless.  I guess Steam is trying to be coy about it.

#4 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Soooo great!!! I will finish the game one more time!
ikir's personal page
MacBook pro 13" retina 2013
i5 2,6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Iris graphics
Madcatz R.A.T. MMO7, Logitech K811

#5 Veldek

Veldek

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Still waiting for DoD... :(

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7216 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostTibur, on 28 January 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Oddly, it still shows PC only when I look on Steam.

EDIT: The Cult of Mac story notes this issue but then says it will download and run on your Mac regardless.  I guess Steam is trying to be coy about it.
I gathered that it's technically still a beta. So I guess it will become official when they are completely satisfied.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 28 January 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

I gathered that it's technically still a beta. So I guess it will become official when they are completely satisfied.
Or perhaps Gabe Newell has decided to troll Mac users once again.  "Here's Half-Life for the Mac!  It doesn't say it works on a Mac just yet, because it's in beta."  Two weeks (and tens of thousands of Mac downloads) later: "We've decided to terminate our beta test of Half-Life for the Mac because we found we could not make it work to our exacting standards.   All previously downloaded copies of the game have been disabled.  Contact Steam for a full refund."  You also get a personal email from Gabe Newell which consists of nothing more than a WAV file of Nelson Muntz (from the Simpsons) saying, "HA HA!"

#8 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

So I'm downloading it now, even though it still doesn't have any sign of there being any Mac support (or Linux support for that matter); apparently, it is really is a beta. Weird. You'd think there'd be at least an announcement of a beta Mac version. I'm wondering if it'll work on this old Core Duo MacBook.

EDIT: Well, it doesn't work. I keep on getting the error message "Error Initializing Frame Buffer", which means that the game likely doesn't have any love for my GMA 950, my 32-bit Core Duo, Snow Leopard, or all of the above. :(
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#9 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5239 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostTibur, on 28 January 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

Or perhaps Gabe Newell has decided to troll Mac users once again.  "Here's Half-Life for the Mac!  It doesn't say it works on a Mac just yet, because it's in beta."  Two weeks (and tens of thousands of Mac downloads) later: "We've decided to terminate our beta test of Half-Life for the Mac because we found we could not make it work to our exacting standards.   All previously downloaded copies of the game have been disabled.  Contact Steam for a full refund."  You also get a personal email from Gabe Newell which consists of nothing more than a WAV file of Nelson Muntz (from the Simpsons) saying, "HA HA!"
That would not surprise me in the slightest. Not like he hasn't done it before... twice.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 1TB Crucial M550 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Just snag the fan made Black Mesa remake (which is free) and wrap it. Way better.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#11 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostWumpus, on 28 January 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Just snag the fan made Black Mesa remake (which is free) and wrap it. Way better.

The thing is, Black Mesa only goes up to Xen, IIRC. They haven't done the whole game in its entirety, yet.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#12 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Ah yeah, a friend pointed that out to me over IM earlier, but that was after my post :P
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#13 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3506 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

So wait, the links in the articles go to the original Half-Life, not Half-Life: Source. Did they really port that old engine?

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7216 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostTesseract, on 02 February 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

So wait, the links in the articles go to the original Half-Life, not Half-Life: Source. Did they really port that old engine?
Yes, it's really the GoldSrc version of Half-Life. I don't think anyone mentioned that yet, but apparently Counter Strike 1.6 is also available.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"