#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7009 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

It's hard to believe that it finally happened, but Half-Life 1 actually made it to the Mac.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Well, whaddya know.  I finally gave up waiting a year or so year ago and played through it using Crossover, but it's good they did a native version for the sake of completeness.

--Eric

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2941 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I already went through a few years back using Crossover. Now I'll go with Black Mesa instead, thank you very much.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 1975 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

And only 10 years after Inside Mac Games was originally going to publish it.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#5 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4937 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

So, Valve finally atones for their sin of boning Mac gamers just because they couldn't get cross-platform multiplayer working. (Or so they said, anyway; I remember Westlake balking at that explanation)

Nice.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

I wonder how early 00'es mac gaming would have looked it they had published it...
"They're everywhere!"

#7 uff0

uff0

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

lol, better late than never I guess *;*

#8 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 26 January 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

It's hard to believe that it finally happened, but Half-Life 1 actually made it to the Mac.

I already played it at a windows-using-friend's house back in middle school. Thanks for making us wait 14 years and a little over two months. Good luck with the sales numbers. Pfft. Unreal was much better anyway. :P

#9 Coug-it

Coug-it

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Got kind of tedious about "half-way" through the single player plus lots of buggy issues with getting trapped in different areas; never was able to finish it on a friend's PC so no thanks.

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 1975 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Interesting. It seems like the average Mac user was happier with Valve BEFORE they released this. :-)

Amazingly enough I never played HL1. I know it's a classic of the genre but the screenshots look extremely dated. So not much urge to start now. (Yes I know about Black Mesa but I can't be bothered to boot to Windows for it, or run it mediocre-ly under Wine.)

#11 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1429 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 26 January 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

Lol..I actually read most of that article thinking it was true until I read:

"Because the title currently lacks support for OpenGL, a 700 MHz G4 is recommended. "Any of the LCD iMacs should run it just fine, with frame rates in the mid-teens," Tuncer reassures gamers."

Then I was like..lol. :P
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7009 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostCoug-it, on 27 January 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Got kind of tedious about "half-way" through the single player ...
I kind of have to agree. I started playing HL1 Source quite a while ago, but quickly lost interest.

The problem is that HL1 was so revolutionary and successful at its time, that large parts of it simply got copied in other games. So, when I played HL1 much later, I always had the feeling of already having played it. And in a way, I had.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2941 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 26 January 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

Kind of scary how many people commented the story back then, compared to now...
"They're everywhere!"

#14 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 1975 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostWumpus, on 29 January 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Lol..I actually read most of that article thinking it was true until I read:

"Because the title currently lacks support for OpenGL, a 700 MHz G4 is recommended. "Any of the LCD iMacs should run it just fine, with frame rates in the mid-teens," Tuncer reassures gamers."

Then I was like..lol. :P

Tuncer asked me to write that one on short notice- I'm still extremely pleased with it.

It's not as clear as it would have been back then, but each paragraph casually introduces some new letdown about the port. Mac-only multiplayer via GameRanger; the implication of crippled mod support; the Classic requirement (analogous to a game today requiring Rosetta); lack of hardware accelerated graphics; the steep system specs; crappy frame rates. I tried to include every "feature" I'd seen gamers complaining about in other games over the years.

The vague release date and non-committal promise of maybe patching the graphics later on should also have raised alarm bells for those gamers who had learned to read PR-speak. The ridiculous price was the final straw for anyone who hadn't figured out the joke yet.

Ironically, the "download only" contest prize which I'd intended to sound cheapskate ("What, they can't be bothered to send me a boxed copy?") is now the way most games are sold, and seems perfectly reasonable.

#15 andrewlennox

andrewlennox

Fan

• IMG Writers
  • 47 posts
  • Steam Name:lenntheox

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 31 January 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

Tuncer asked me to write that one on short notice- I'm still extremely pleased with it.

It's not as clear as it would have been back then, but each paragraph casually introduces some new letdown about the port. Mac-only multiplayer via GameRanger; the implication of crippled mod support; the Classic requirement (analogous to a game today requiring Rosetta); lack of hardware accelerated graphics; the steep system specs; crappy frame rates. I tried to include every "feature" I'd seen gamers complaining about in other games over the years.

The vague release date and non-committal promise of maybe patching the graphics later on should also have raised alarm bells for those gamers who had learned to read PR-speak. The ridiculous price was the final straw for anyone who hadn't figured out the joke yet.

Ironically, the "download only" contest prize which I'd intended to sound cheapskate ("What, they can't be bothered to send me a boxed copy?") is now the way most games are sold, and seems perfectly reasonable.

Wow, even if it was before my time I still understand the anticipation. HL2 was something really special and HL was the one that started it all
Andrew Lennox
Writer, Inside Mac Games
http://andrewlennox.tumblr.com/

#16 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4937 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 31 January 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

HEH. You were the one who wrote that? Props. I remember it cracking me up back then. :)
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#17 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Eheheh times for me to finish it one more time! I think i've finished HL1 like 4 times already... many years ago.
ikir's personal page
MacBook pro 13" retina 2013
i5 2,6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Iris graphics
Roccat Kone XTD, Logitech K811, Belkin Thunderbolt Express

#18 trax

trax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

14 years...

I still don't see a download/buy button :P

edit:  My Bad... it's just really really not obvious that it's available.  You buy the windows version of half-life and the mac beta pops up in your steam list as downloadable... like an unadvertised easter egg.

#19 TeK987

TeK987

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 29 January 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

I kind of have to agree. I started playing HL1 Source quite a while ago, but quickly lost interest.

The problem is that HL1 was so revolutionary and successful at its time, that large parts of it simply got copied in other games. So, when I played HL1 much later, I always had the feeling of already having played it. And in a way, I had.
It's funny, when HL2 came out, I remember many people and commenters saying that it was a great game, but that it was a little disappointing because it was too short and not as revolutionary as HL1 was. Now HL1 has not aged so well and its revolutionary elements feature in every modern fps. On the other hand, HL2 is still a blast to play, and I don't know of any other game that can offer such an intense experience from start to finish. I guess that's the sort of tricks time plays on us.

#20 Mens

Mens

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I heard that they might make a HL3 on a new engine that their making...