57 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

My wife has an iPad 2 and wants to download movies to it to watch later when she is out of range of wifi, a situation that will occur next week.  The problem is, it's not a straight forward thing and I've about given up on finding a way for her to do this.

The movies she is interested are public domain, very old movies that are free to download.  How can she accomplish this and CAN she accomplish this.  Now we have a couple movies downloaded and sitting on our desktop.  If I can't download directly to the iPad, how may I transfer these movies to her iPad?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

I use GoodPlayer for this. You can load the movies via iTunes or connect to HTTP, AFP, SMB, SFTP, DLNA/UPnP and download or stream from there.

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15923 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.  Recent reviews though are pretty harsh as they have removed some functionality from it.  But with this app I can download old movies from veoh.com straight to my iPad or do I need to do some sort of "add file" in iTunes that doesn't seem to work for me with movies.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

covert them to the correct format if needed... and sync through iTunes... is the main way.

my favorite way though is just to make sure they are compatible to be able to play and throw them in my Dropbox.  Then in Dropbox App on my iPad and iPhone I can play them and Star to favorite them so they stay on the device and don't have to download again.

#5 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Right, just drag onto iTunes and sync, it's very simple...unless the format isn't compatible with iTunes, in which case you have to convert it, which may not be as simple depending on the format.

--Eric

#6 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5332 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

What doh and Eric said. Very easy. As long as it's compatible, put it in iTunes, then sync it. Done! How I put stuff on my iPad mini.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 1TB Crucial M550 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3114 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

Handbrake should be able to deal with most stuff you find online, and it is very easy to do. As in select the movie, and click Start. I managed to get my girlfriend to learn that, so your wife should be able to also.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15923 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Thanks all.  My wife is very happy with Goodplayer.  BTW, didn't have any problems getting movies into iTunes but it refused to sync onto her iPad.  But that doesn't matter now.  She is up and running with downloaded movies.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 17 January 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Thanks all.  My wife is very happy with Goodplayer.  BTW, didn't have any problems getting movies into iTunes but it refused to sync onto her iPad.  But that doesn't matter now.  She is up and running with downloaded movies.
has to be formatted right to sync... Handbrake can convert videos easily to do that.

#10 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Better to just avoid converting and using GoodPlayer.

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15923 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I was trying to sync mp4 files from my desktop iTunes to her iPad... iPad can't handle mp4?  Whatta wimpy little loser it is.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5332 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

iPad can handle mp4s just fine, but I think they've gotta be within a certain specification. Usually if you put them in iTunes it'll take care of that... odd.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 1TB Crucial M550 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

MP4 is a container format...while iTunes can read MP4, it doesn't necessarily read the actual video format inside.

--Eric

#14 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostFrost, on 18 January 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

iPad can handle mp4s just fine, but I think they've gotta be within a certain specification. Usually if you put them in iTunes it'll take care of that... odd.

only if you tell it to. iTunes on the computer can actually support more formats than the iPad can.  So it may be playable within iTunes but not on the iPad.  I just covert things via Handbrake.  Its super easy, can be done in batches, and can automatically reduce file sizes/reslotions for a target device (like iPad).  

the .mp4 file extension is a dishonest beast, since it is just a container, and the video within might be anything from DivX to h.264, and you have no way of knowing.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15923 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Well I did a "Create New Version" from the file menu and it said it was already in the correct format, but syncing it to the iPad doesn't work.  Is that the wrong conversion command to use?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I can also wholeheartedly recommend Movie Player
https://itunes.apple...79775?l=en&mt=8

This plays about any format you can find on the web. Absoluteley no conversion necessary.

also just renaming .mp4 to .m4v is mostly enough to make them be recognized by itunes/ iPad. It´s this old heritage from the old iPods it seems.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

- MacBook Pro 13" 2011 i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.x / W7 Pro x64
- iPad Air, 16Gb
- MacBook C2D, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.6.x / XP 32bit Home SP3
- iPad 2, 16GB
- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#17 DriftWolf

DriftWolf

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

QQplayer is what i use.

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15923 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

My wife has since settled on "Free Video".  I'll check out QQplayer for her.  Thanks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 January 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

My wife has an iPad 2 and wants to download movies to it to watch later when she is out of range of wifi, a situation that will occur next week.  The problem is, it's not a straight forward thing and I've about given up on finding a way for her to do this.

The movies she is interested are public domain, very old movies that are free to download.  How can she accomplish this and CAN she accomplish this.  Now we have a couple movies downloaded and sitting on our desktop.  If I can't download directly to the iPad, how may I transfer these movies to her iPad?

You shall not ever play movies on your iPad!

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15923 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostDiablofett, on 22 March 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

You shall not ever play movies on your iPad!

Thought you were dead Steve, or did they just put your head in a Futurama bottle?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat