Let's unite for Guild Wars 2 OS X native client!

Please help us!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

https://forum-en.gui...rst#post1218400

NCSoft support suggested me to create a thread even if they told me there are no current plans for it, but this means they listen... so please help us to get a decent native GW2 client!
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

I haven't had any issues with the current Cider based client. What sort of problems are you experiencing?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Your post there is not technically correct.

Native clients means:
-Much more better integration with Mac OS X
-Improved stability
-Much more improved performance (better effect with more frames per second)
-Mac specific features could be easily implemented (like Quicktime game recording)
-NCSoft could see this on Mac App Store, it would open the game to an incredible number of Mac users, sadly they didn’t imagine how many. I would even buy it again

I think you mean... those things can be possible.  A native port does NOT automatically mean it will have better integration... better stability, or improved performance.  Those things are much easier to do if its native, but thats not a given, especially to a company who has no experience really making Mac software.  Also GW2 could already be in the App Store if they wanted it to... its not there because of Apple's stupid rules and money grubbing.... same reason WoW and others aren't there either.

also to the 256mb of vram thing.. thats nothing to do with Cider as far as I know.  It is capable of using more... if thats happening in GW2 right now, its something they need to fix, but not just because its Cider.

#4 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Apple is greed with 30% with server for downloading and payment management? I know personally a lot of devs and they thanks Mac App Store everyday :-) Probably you mean these company are greedy, instead of opening to new markets they want to keep all inside the company which makes sense since they already manage payment and servers, but i really don't think it is apple fault here. I'm sure Mac sales would be greater if the game is on MAS.

You are playing with words, a cider port could be greatly written and a native one can sucks. Sure. But usually is the opposite.

If you read online a lot of cedega/cider ports use only 256MB of vram. I pointed this out this in a ticket to support, since i know they can fix this. They will? I hope but i'm not sure. This cider client is quite bugged and slow compared to what USUALLY we get with a native client. Dragon Age was running really great  even if it was cider, and i love Cider because it brings to us many more games.... but i think the next step is a native client, you can't say there is no advantage with a native client if it is good.
ikir's personal page

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

How bad is the performance of the GW2 cider client?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

View Postikir, on 17 January 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

Apple is greed with 30% with server for downloading and payment management? I know personally a lot of devs and they thanks Mac App Store everyday :-) Probably you mean these company are greedy, instead of opening to new markets they want to keep all inside the company which makes sense since they already manage payment and servers, but i really don't think it is apple fault here. I'm sure Mac sales would be greater if the game is on MAS.

You are playing with words, a cider port could be greatly written and a native one can sucks. Sure. But usually is the opposite.

If you read online a lot of cedega/cider ports use only 256MB of vram. I pointed this out this in a ticket to support, since i know they can fix this. They will? I hope but i'm not sure. This cider client is quite bugged and slow compared to what USUALLY we get with a native client. Dragon Age was running really great  even if it was cider, and i love Cider because it brings to us many more games.... but i think the next step is a native client, you can't say there is no advantage with a native client if it is good.

The greed comes to subscriptions.  If they do this they will not be allowed to make a link that goes to their website to let people sign up for the game alone.. they will have to offer a way to subscribe in game.  All subscriptions like that Apple will take a 30% cut of as well, even though they are doing NOTHING... hosting the game servers, or anything... they'd still have to give Apple a 30% cut of subscriptions.  Since GW2 doesn't have subscriptions, its not as bad for them, just a 30% cut on sells (which is a lot more than they can do for themselves).  For small developers, thats a dream, for big ones, it costs more than doing it themselves.  For subscription MMOs, it makes it basically impossible to ever have them in there.

I'm not playing with words when it comes to Cider, I was just clarifying your statement, because many people may read it and think its true in all cases... but a native port will not always be better, and costs a ton of money to do.  I'd always prefer native, but I'm not sure with the current GW2 engine if it makes financial sense for them to do.

As to the RAM, is there proof its really only using 256mb?  I know it is reporting 256mb, but that doesn't mean its all thats being used due to the much different ways DirectX vs OpenGL work with ram, and all of this is really being done in OpenGL through Cider.

#7 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

View Postdoh123, on 17 January 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

As to the RAM, is there proof its really only using 256mb?  I know it is reporting 256mb, but that doesn't mean its all thats being used due to the much different ways DirectX vs OpenGL work with ram, and all of this is really being done in OpenGL through Cider.

Because if you edit the cider configuration file the games runs much more better, you get more fps. This means the games use only 256MB by default even of you have 1GB.

@Sneaky Snake
It is not that bad, but sometimes has buggy input, gfx corruption. There are anyway rare situation.... the main problem imho are performance. It is a beta anyway.
ikir's personal page

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 17 January 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

How bad is the performance of the GW2 cider client?

I have a 3,1 MacPro with 4870 and a MBP with 650m and it runs gorgeously on both. I can't crank everything up but it's smooth and looks great with everything mid range. I also have a PC with a GTX 480 which I can run everything on maximum. But, I mean that thing has a GTX 480 in it.

Sure I'd prefer a native client, Cider has overhead (I've heard upwards of 20%) but with rare exception I've not had any issue with Cider based games. Spore, Red Alert 3, C&C 3, all have always run fine for me. If it means I can run more games on my preferred platform or I get faster updates instead of versions out of sync I'm all for it.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

To all:

-Go to Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2
-Edit config file with TextEdit
-Find this
[x11drv]
"AllocSystemColors" = "100"
"CopyDefaultColors" = "0"
"PrivateColorMap" = "N"
"PerfectGraphics" = "N"
"Managed" = "Y"
"Desktop" = "No"
"UseDGA" = "N"
"UseXShm" = "Y"
"DXGrab" = "Y"
"UseXVidMode" = "Y"
"UseXRandR" = "N"
"DesktopDoubleBuffered" = "Y"
"TextCP" = "0"
"VideoRam" = "256"
"AGPVertexRam" = "128"

-Put your VRAM value (MB) in "VideoRam" = "xxx"
-Put the half of your VRAM in "AGPVertexRam" = "xxx"

Enjoy more fps and boost gfx :) Probably you need to do it/check every patch.
ikir's personal page

#10 doh123

doh123

Wineskin

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Thats insane they'd do that.  If changing the numbers works, it would take one of their developers about 30 minutes to add to to the start up to detect the memory size and edit those files... heck even without the source I could write a script to do that that would work in the wrapper.

#11 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

View Postdoh123, on 17 January 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

Thats insane they'd do that.  If changing the numbers works, it would take one of their developers about 30 minutes to add to to the start up to detect the memory size and edit those files... heck even without the source I could write a script to do that that would work in the wrapper.

Sadly this is real since it changes performance after editing, lets try try :-)
ikir's personal page

#12 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for pointing out the config file, I didn't even know it was there... Guild Wars 2's performance is really incredible on my system so I never bothered looking. I'm really quite happy with the performance of the Mac Guild Wars 2 client–unlike the grating performance of Black Ops Mac...
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#13 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 19 January 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

Thanks for pointing out the config file, I didn't even know it was there... Guild Wars 2's performance is really incredible on my system so I never bothered looking. I'm really quite happy with the performance of the Mac Guild Wars 2 client–unlike the grating performance of Black Ops Mac...
Good, but just in case try to enable more VRAM for the game and check if you notice difference anyway. See you on Tyria :D
ikir's personal page

#14 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

Wow I never realized the DW2 was available for Mac since 2012 already.
I just got the game just recentöy back when it was on an incredible sale on the GW2 site

Didn't come around to play it, yet. Just installed it today.

and the config edit is def. nice! :)

Anyone still playing?
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

I don't think I played it only for a month maybe. It was ok. I'm not really into MMOs.

#16 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Necro monster.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#17 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

Actually am deep in it now. Something clicked in me with this game.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

GOG: ipickert55 Add me!

Zeus - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 RAM

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

View Postipickert55, on 06 February 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Actually am deep in it now. Something clicked in me with this game.

::Hands shaking from withdrawals::  That's what I said about ::twitch twitch:: Borderlands several years ago.  ::wince twitch::  Now it's been yesterday since I last played ::grimace twitch::  Borderlands.  ::tBC rubs his lips with his fingers then scratches at his tracks with dirty fingernails::  ::flinch flinch twitch grimace wince::  Save yourself...
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:22 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 06 February 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

::Hands shaking from withdrawals::  That's what I said about ::twitch twitch:: Borderlands several years ago.  ::wince twitch::  Now it's been yesterday since I last played ::grimace twitch::  Borderlands.  ::tBC rubs his lips with his fingers then scratches at his tracks with dirty fingernails::  ::flinch flinch twitch grimace wince::  Save yourself...
yes Borderlands 2 practically runied my gaming life. Before I played multi diverse games but then I sunk several hundred hours into BL2 and I am just level 44 or something and I have not touched Raids yet. ::addict::

View Postmacdude22, on 06 February 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

I don't think I played it only for a month maybe. It was ok. I'm not really into MMOs.

Me, too but the GW games you can play alone for the most part. in GW1 you only need 5 player for the final boss,  and in GW, because of the cooperative gamedesign, trolling is nearly impossible and and it's fun if others drop in, if the information is right.

Didn't plan to get GW2 but for €10 and all the positive feedback, I decided to have a look. :)
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-