4 replies to this topic

#1 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I built myself an ivy Bridge system a few months back to replace my Mac Pro as a gaming machine (and have a Mini to do my mac stuff on); the plan was to also do the same for my wife, and i recently grabbed her an early Core i3 iMac off of Craigslist for a steal.  

I had been having intermittent blue-screens on the machine, which seemed to happen once a week or less and seemed memory related - after running MemTest86+ on the thing for about four days, the RAM tested out fine and i put it down to having been a very rough Windows Install (crashes, problems booting, tons of stuff) that might have corrupted a driver or other piece of software that controlled memory in some way.  It didn't happen often enough to make me nuke and pave the thing.  

Well, the sales aligned yesterday and i assembled the second machine, and gave my wife the first one (they are roughly identical in specs, but since i actually move mine around, i built the second machine as a mITX build), after nuking and paving it (and having no WIndows install problems this time - i think one of the half-dozen EFI/BIOS updates i did to the motherboard fixed whatever was causing windows to hate life) and replacing the Power Supply (had to use the smaller original one in my mITX case), Hard Drive (got her a fresh 1TB) and CPU (replaced the overclockable i5 3570k with a 3540, since she wont ever care about overclocking, and put the 3570K in my new build).  

Lo and behold, it is still giving the same errors.  In my mind this leaves me at either the Motherboard or the GPU being bad somewhere.  

What im looking for is some kind of utility i can test the non-RAM hardware with to see if i can track down where the problem lies.  If i have to replace the MoBo that isn't a giant deal - since she wont be overclocking i dont have to replace it with the Z77 board i already had in there and could step down to a much cheaper H77 chipset, but id rather not start ripping it apart and randomly replacing things if i dont have to.  If the GPU is bad, ill be a bit more peeved, but i think i can RMA that and in the meantime, she can use the Radeon 5870 that is sitting in the now decomissioned Pro until we get the replacement unit.  

So, the TL:DR version:

Anyone know of a good utility to stress-test PC hardware and find faults?  Its definitely a component still in the old machine, as my new machine is running fine, which means it must be the RAM (unlikely, given the 4-day MemTest marathon), GPU or MoBo.  

Thanks!

#2 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Run Rthdribl and Prime95 to put the GPU and CPU (respectively) under high heat/power load. SMART results would be good to see if there's some kind of read or write error (maybe due to cabling) with the hard drive. Window's own disk check would be good, too. You could also try turning off components in the BIOS to see if that isolates anything. Can you switch to integrated video? Knowing the components (make and model) might help, as might knowing what the bluescreen said (component, addresses, modes, operations). I'd also check the temperatures of the CPU and GPU, which I think is supported by cpuz and gpuz. I think CPUz also show voltages if you're worried that it droops under load. Maybe check the fans to see that they're free-spinning.

#3 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Any luck?

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

My wife hasn't been booting up her windows machine, work has kept her busy, and doing housework has been keeping me busy.  

Im going to fire it up and try to run some tests this weekend.

#5 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

SpeedFan will also monitor voltages, temperatures, and fan speeds.