5 replies to this topic

#1 MadDog

MadDog

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

While I recently finished Metro 2033, I also picked up Homefront on Steam.  It was on sale for $10.  You have to love Steam.  It brings all these games to you cheap, and gives you the opportunity not to get burned (too badly).....

The premise for Homefront is pretty original, very Red Dawn-esque.  The game starts off by trying to get you angry at the North Korean invaders, and it succeeded for a time until I started to understand the underpinings of the game, then I got mad at myself for buying this game.

This game really reminds me of certain Call of Duty or Medal of Honor games.  In a bad way.  There are a number of similar game mechanics:
- your health regenerates on its own
- every enemy hates you, personally
- your in-game named allies are invincible, and the un-named ones just respawn if shot.  
- enemies continually respawn until you hit a trigger point or perform some action

I have come to loath this system for all the silliness it brings.   Just about every enemy on screen wants to shoot you if it can see you, even if this means ignoring one of your allies on the map that is 2 feet away from them.  Enemy vehicles will shoot at you even if friendly vehicles are nearby.

Because your named allies are invincible leads to some goofy situations.  I watched an enemy constantly pour shots into a downed ally, only to have him start to get back up, followed by more shots, knocking him down, and repeat....  this really destroys any immersion into the game.  Your invincible allies seem to know they are invincible, because they tend to walk in the open, blazing away (and rarely reloading).  If the player tried that, you wouldnt last 2 seconds (re: every enemy hates you, personally).

On the other side, the endless supply of enemies reminds me of clown cars filled with North Korean muppets, frantically spawning and running around waiting to shoot you and get shot in return.  They literally dont stop coming until you move forward and hit the spawn triggers.  I think by the end of game I must of killed the entire NKPA.

There is an endless barrage of "do this, do that.." orders from your allies.  "Take out that tank !".  Kill the RPG launchers !"  "Move forward !"  , "Help me find my dropped contact lens !", "Scratch my back for me !" and so on. It gets rather tiring after a while.

The stupid game only lasted 4 hours.  I get the feeling the game was supposed to go on longer but they cut it short.

To sum it up:
- short game
- controls feel sloppy
- no sense of immersion
- stupid allies/enemies mechanics

I felt I got a better value from DNF than this game.  That should adequately sum up my feelings.

Mad Dog

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Ouch, nasty review! Still want to play Metro after your other review, but this was a naaasty beating. Didnt the game get favorable reviews?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Homefront was terrible. I tried playing it and gave up after an hour for many of the same reasons Mad Dog gave. Terrible game..just terrible.

Metro 2033 is a great game (and the somewhat similar Stalker games as well.)
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 03 January 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

Ouch, nasty review! Still want to play Metro after your other review, but this was a naaasty beating. Didnt the game get favorable reviews?
Very few. Most reviews I've seen called it mediocre at best, mostly for exactly the reasons MadDog mentioned.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, I wanted to get Homefront back when it came out but nearly every person I knew who bought the game hated the popsnizzle out of it. That's even including a guy who is better armed than I am and whose ultimate wish in life is for Red Dawn to come true. If he hates it, they must have really f'ed up.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 MadDog

MadDog

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Metro2033 is worth a purchase, esp at Steam prices.

Homefront is a dog.  A really bad dog, with rabies.  I was so contemptuous of this game, I turned the difficulty down from Hard to Normal because the challenge was not in the gameplay, but trying not to snicker from all the really poor game design.  The setting could of been the basis for a really good game, but they borked it really badly.

Up next: Dead Space 2, on sale at Steam for $9.99.  I really liked DS1, except for the really $hitty mouse response.  I expect good things.

Mad Dog