7 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3819 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

My son is thinking about buying himself a PC gaming laptop.

He'll have about $1000 saved at one point in the not-to-distant future and I'm putting a plea out to the highly PC-knowledgeable forum members here to help him decide what he should get that will maximize his gaming experience. As his dad, I want him to get the best he can afford so that in a year he's not got a piss-poor plastic piece of crap that won't keep up.

He plays games like World of Tanks and Planetside 2 (I know, coming to OSX eventually) and wants to keep up as best he can with his PC-toting friends at LAN parties and the like. What's the best laptop for gaming he can get in that price range (maybe to as high as $1200)? I know he's not going to be playing Crysis 3 at max settings, but what can he get for that cash?

What would you buy?

Thanks.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3013 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

If it is only for gaming, why on earth does he want a laptop?
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 05 December 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

If it is only for gaming, why on earth does he want a laptop?
's what i was wondering.  

Build a fragbox instead, if portability is the need.

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3013 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

For 1000$ he could build himself quite a nice gaming stationary, which could be upgraded in the future with a new graphic card.

Too heavy to carry it to LANs? Pfft... We used to do that all the time when we were young, and these days everyone has a car anyway!
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#5 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

yes but if he wants a laptop then he's obviously looking for a laptop.

MSI make good notebooks to suit a budget... that said they are built to suit a budget, you probably won't have it for long but it will to the trick for the time being.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

Late 2012 iMac 27" Corei7 3.4ghz GTX 680 MX 8gb RAM 3tb FusionDrive
Now Playing: Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2

#6 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • 3819 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I'd not heard of this fragbox phenomena until it was mentioned here. It's all about portability for him, but it'd suck if he had to bring his monitor with him everywhere he went. I think that's why he's thinking laptop. I will ask and get back to you all.
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2663 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

I've spent a considerable amount of time looking for the best pc gaming laptop for the price.

My search has come to rest of the Lenovo Y580.
Specs:
Quad Core 2.4 ghz i7 ivy bridge
8 GB of RAM
Nvidia 660M 2 GB graphics card
1080p 15.4 inch screen
Nice brushed black aluminum professional looks
Backlit keyboard
Not super bulky
Price:$1000
http://shop.lenovo.c...d/y-series/y580
Just get the weekly deal one. It's been on a "weekly deal" since I got mine back in August

Apparently the 1080p screen on it is very good, but the 1366x768 screen not so much. I'd definitely go with the 1080p.

As for how it will do in gaming. Very well. I actually own this laptop, and it will max most (80% of games), and then it still runs the others on pretty high settings. For example I can run battlefield 3 on high settings, Crysis on a mix of high and ultra, skyrim on high, and that's all at 1080p.

If he thinking about a desktop (he can get similar performance to the $1000 laptop for like $500 in a desktop, or build a desktop for $1000 that will absolutely obliterate every gaming laptop other then SLI 680M ones) I would be more then willing to throw it together at no cost on a weeknight or weekend. I enjoy building computers, and actually make some good money selling gaming computers to people at school. I get all my parts usually from Canada Computers.

Whether you want me to assemble it or not, send me a PM if you want to get a best bang for your buck desktop and I'll send you a parts list for stuff at Canada Computers. I build a couple desktops per week, and have honed my builds done to the best price/performance, while still using quality brand components.
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#8 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • 3819 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Sam, you're going to be one I talk to since you're just up the road when the time comes. My son knows he's giving up power/performance choosing a laptop over a homebuilt fragbox, but is concerned about transporting CPU and monitor etc to LAN parties. He's very interested in building machines too so, again, you'll be tapped for that knowledge as well. I'll keep you posted, and thanks to everyone for the input.
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi