Any Interest in a G5 Quad with Some Extras?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

I am just looking to see if anyone would be interested in a G5 Quad system with some extras. I have not used it in quite a few months and I really do not have the room to store it anymore. I thought about using it as a PPC Nascar 2003 and F1 2000 CS racing rig since that is my main hobby. But again, I have a few other setups for my Mac Pro and my PS3 and I am not sure I could use it really. I could probably make more parting the system out, but I don't really enjoy ebaying things.

Also, I realize that there is probably not a lot of interest in the system. But anyway, here are the specs and information about the system. I will take some pics if anyone is sincerely interested in the system.

PowerMac G5 Quad (scratches and one dent that makes the door a bit harder to get open but fully intact and not as bad as it may sound)
2.5 Ghz @ 4 Total Cores / 2 Total Processors
16GB RAM
2 X Video Cards - Flashed 7800 GTX 512MB Card and 6600 LE 256MB Card (have run it this way since I bought it)
2 X 1TB HDD's with 10.5.8 on 1 and 10.4.11 on the other
2 X 23" Apple Cinema Displays with power supplies (a few scratches on the lcds and outer aluminum. one is in better shape than the other but they are both still nice)
Apple Mighty Mouse
Apple USB Aluminum Keyboard
1TB MacAlly USB/Firewire External Time Machine Backup

Again, at this point I am seriously considering selling it. But this is not set in stone. I am pretty sentimental and I really love this machine. It served me very well for some years. But I just do not use it and I feel that there may be someone who will actually use it for something.

#2 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

This is an impressive system from back-in-the-day, sir! If you can, I would suggest keeping it. You never know when you might have a craving to do some PPC gaming or just reminisce of the old days when Apple was more unique, even at the hardware level. I still have my Graphite Clamshell iBook 466. I had a Powerbook 12'' from 2003 as well, however, it met with a most unfortunate end a couple of years ago.

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15611 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

I'm keeping my G5 as it is a legacy computer that will still run those OS9 and early OSX games and programs, and run them better than any other PowerPC.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, I am not in a real hurry to get rid of it as I still love the thing. I just feel bad that it will not get any use. Playing classic and other older OSX games is a blast on this machine as it is about as good as it gets. And this computer was my go-to computer for a while. I even created the content for my game on it, so it is a great computer.

Here is a pic of how it was setup. Looks pretty basic but up close was really nice to look at.

Posted Image

#5 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4931 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Is that RAM ECC, and would you consider parting with 12GB of it if so? I had to flush my old G5 RAM and rebuilding it with fresh is expensive.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Sorry, the RAM in NON-ECC.

#7 trax

trax

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

How much would you want for the system ?

#8 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

View Posttrax, on 30 December 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

How much would you want for the system ?
Well, someone I know is trying to get the money together now for the system. $700.00 is what he is paying (or trying to scrounge up), but no big deal if it does not happen as I am thinking of keeping it anyway if he can't. My Wife is a bit disappointed that I would get rid of it as it was my favorite Mac since my G4 Sawtooth and served me very well.

#9 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4931 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

I can totally understand that. I'll eventually upgrade to a Mac Pro, but I'll never get rid of my Cypher-model G5. That machine has been awesome, and the fact that it's over 7 years old and still capable of running everything I do on it on a daily basis, including trouncing my '08 MBP at A/V encoding, is impressive.

Kind of like with my Titanium PowerBook (which I'm actually typing this on). It's the first machine I ever bought 100% with money I made myself, no assistance from anyone. It'll always have a special place because of that. That, and it has my favorite Apple laptop keyboard of all time, and thus is my go-to machine for writing.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Well, I decided not to sell the unit right now. I just can seem to part with it. My friend could not come up with the money so I made the decision.... for now. Oh yeah, and I love those displays. I don't think getting 2 30" displays is in the budget right now, but it would be a nice upgrade.