17 replies to this topic

#1 MadDog

MadDog

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

I downloaded this through Steam, its something I wanted to try for some time (along with Metro 2033).  Every time I play this game, I cant decide if its a really decent, involved shooter, or a total piece of $hit.  The game has a lot going for it, but the absolute crappy weapon accuracy really ticks me off.   I can aim at an unsuspecting enemy, 15 meters away, aiming over of the sights for 4 seconds, pull off a single shot, and miss.  This is common.  Assuming, my weapon doesnt jam.  I really want to like this game, but I feel violated every time I play it.

Mad Dog

#2 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Which Stalker game? There are 3 of them.

And the games are amazing. Its not crappy weapon accuracy, its realistic ballistics modeled for each gun. I never had a problem shooting people in the game, even from a distance. You have to do single shots or get a scope.

What gun are you trying to use? Pistols have crappy range, so try a rifle. Also time aiming down sights doesn't affect anything.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#3 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Shadow of Chernobyl is all about atmosphere, and the guns definitely play a role in that. The frantic scramble to defend yourself against a tough opponent and scavenge weapons should just get you in the mood. I remember the accuracy of early weapons was wildly variable, and mislabeled in the non-moded UI, so maybe you just picked up the wrong gun. Just avoiding the conga-line of bandits that stream in when you clear out an area can also work. There are a few mods you should use, such as the one that fixes a bunch of bugs and reduce respawning, or the one that does that as well as improve the textures and lighting, plus maybe turning the option on to be able to get your weapons and stuff repaired. The later guns are definitely a lot better, though my favourite for damage and accuracy jams every few bullets like a broken POS - thus some mods/config changes to make it more realistic.

#4 MadDog

MadDog

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Its SoC I am playing.  I realize they tried to put more realistic ballistics in, but they went way overboard.  Like I said, 15m, aim for 4 seconds while crouching, and pulling off a single shot at an unsuspecting enemy will often miss.  I like that they put gun jams in, but again, way overboard.  The gun I use now jams every 4-5 shots and its at about 70-80% quality.

Right now I have the Obodon (?), the weapon the special forces sometimes drop, but it also happens with the other AK frames, or the Viper.  It doesnt matter if the weapons are in top notch quality or not (other than the *^*^#*(*#&( guns jam way too much).

Which mod are you using ?

Mad Dog

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 2997 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

I hated it. I play games for fun, if I want ultra-realism, I pick up a REAL gun and go outdoors and get frustrated. But in a game, I like a bit of the annoyingness of reality rounded off to a more fun factor where my actual skill with mouse aiming lets me enjoy doing headshots while flying off a rooftop.

Just saying. This game drove me nuts to the point of uninstall before finishing it.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Stalker complete includes the separate bugfix mod:
http://www.moddb.com...r-complete-2009

Or just the bugfix mod (Zone reclamation project, this might not be the latest version):
http://www.metacognix.com/stlkrsoc/

I remember there was a config file somewhere to make it more accurate and reduce the jamming, but it's been a while. I think it's part of the ZRP mod (and probably thus the Complete mod) above:
http://www.metacogni...ThatAintSo.html

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15748 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I've fired a lot of weapons a lot of times.  I rarely have a jam.  Also most things are dead on at 15 meters except rocks, spears, blunderbusses, shotguns, and AK47's. ;)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Everyone has their own likes. I've played all the Stalker games (3 of them) and found them to be awesome and recommend to anyone who enjoys that style of atmosphere and combat.

If you're going to play just one Stalker game, it should probably be Call of Pripyat. SoC may have a touch more atmosphere, but all the game improvements, and RPG stuff with the guns and armor make it WAY more fun.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#9 MadDog

MadDog

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

AK and rocks.  I guess I would be better off throwing rocks.  I really want to like this game.  I think I will try one of the mods and see if that shapes things up a bit.

Mad Dog

#10 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Just to be clear: the link above shows some of the hidden variables in accuracy, and crouching and aiming down the sights are both required to hit stuff down range. If you're shooting from the hip that might be your problem.

#11 MadDog

MadDog

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

[potential spoiler alert]

I finished the game.  There really is a brilliant game here (SoC).  it has everything a game could want, but as I said earlier, its buried under some very bad design flaws.  Even late on, the shot accuracy can be tremendously poor.   In several of the "dungeon crawls", it turns into an awful save-grind fest.   The mapping and location was always very confusing and I never had a real good feel about the quests. In fact, because I missed doing the Guide quest, I only saw one of the false endings.

I suppose I should try it again with one of the mods to see if it plays better.

This is really a brilliant game, with near tragic flaws.

Mad Dog

#12 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

This game is one is in my Top Ten, which Included Deus Ex, Half Life 2 and Fallout.

But the Complete patch is a MUST. :)
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

- MacBook Pro 13" 2011 i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.x / W7 Pro x64
- iPad Air, 16Gb
- MacBook C2D, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.6.x / XP 32bit Home SP3
- iPad 2, 16GB
- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#13 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Get out of here, Stalker!

#14 UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

What is the correct chronological order of release for these games?  I may want to play them one of these days, but I want to go through them in order.

#15 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostUniversalWolf, on 16 November 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

What is the correct chronological order of release for these games?  I may want to play them one of these days, but I want to go through them in order.

Clear Sky, SoC, Call of Pripyat.

Haven't played Clear Sky yet, but I've heard it's by far the worst of the three. If you don't like it, don't let it turn you off from the others.

#16 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostCougar, on 16 November 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Clear Sky, SoC, Call of Pripyat.

Haven't played Clear Sky yet, but I've heard it's by far the worst of the three. If you don't like it, don't let it turn you off from the others.
SoC was released before Clear Sky. ;)

- MacBook Pro 13" 2011 i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.x / W7 Pro x64
- iPad Air, 16Gb
- iPad 2, 16GB
- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB

#17 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

View Postmindnoise, on 16 November 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

SoC was released before Clear Sky. ;)
He asked for the chronological order, not the release order.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#18 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

Anyway, one should not start with Clear Sky, definitely. This might ruin your first impression of the franchise.
Maybe it's best to skip Clear Sky completely. Or play it as last of the the 3, so you have a good picture why Clear Sky lacks and don't stop playing all the games becasue it sucks.

- iPad Air, 16Gb
- iPad 2, 16GB
- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB