• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twofiveoh

twofiveoh

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hey guys,

I've got a Late 2006 iMac 5,2 with the Intel GMA 950 and I've been taking a look around for games and I saw Deathspank on the app store. Can anyone confirm that it will work with my graphics card? If not, could anyone point me in the direction of some good games? A relative of mine bought me a $100 itunes card and I still havent used any of it!

Thanks!

#2 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3506 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

The app store lists the requirements. In particular: "Video Card: ATI Radeon x1900 or better / NVIDIA 8600 or better" - so no, it won't work on a GMA 950, sorry.

#3 twofiveoh

twofiveoh

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks! I had seen the requirements but wasnt 100% sure where the 950 sat in relation to the 8600 as Nvidia has always had a confusing product line, to me at least.

#4 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3506 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Intel GMA is built into the motherboard chipset and thus isn't really a "graphics card" as such. It doesn't have separate VRAM, rather it uses some of the machine's regular RAM. This means it tends not to be very good at running 3D games. (Just how bad depends on the model; newer ones are better.)

#5 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

check out the introversion games Darwinia, Uplink etc. i the AppStore, they are quite good.
confirmed working on 950:
Osmos, And Yet It Moves, Machinarium, Baphomet's Curse,
90% sure:
Cthulhu Saves the World, Eschalon Books I & II, Avernum Series, Raptor, Bontanicula, Samorost 2,
50/50 chance: Sword of Fargoal, Avadon: The Black Fortress, Gratious Space Battles, Sword & Sworcery, Sid Meier's Pirates.
These games are def. worth to check into.
You should always ask the devs, directly, if the 950 is not explicity mentioned.
These are also mostly RPG, Strategy etc. since they don't require so much graphic power.

On Bootcamp (under Windows XP) pretty much any game until 2004/5 can be run the 950. Even the earlier Versions of HalfLife 2 (PC) ran quite well. Then they updated the graphics engine which mess up the colour balance on the 950. Also FarCry was very well playable But these games also pretty much represent the pinnacle of what is possible this Itegrated Graphics Chip.

And if you still need more games check out www.gog.com (formerly Good OLD Games) they recently opened up a nice section for Mac Games (mostly running Emulations of old great Dos Games which should run nicely on the 950).
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

- MacBook Pro 13" 2011 i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.x / W7 Pro x64
- iPad Air, 16Gb
- MacBook C2D, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.6.x / XP 32bit Home SP3
- iPad 2, 16GB
- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-