#281 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

I finally got around to realistically starting this game. Started an Assassin (which I'm regretting already). But the problem isn't that, its that the game goes into slideshow mode whenever any firefight begins. Clearly this game has more visually to it than BL1 had, and I'm going to have to again put this whole game on hold for another month or two until I build a whole brand new rig. It has to be the PhysX stuff is killing my non-nvidia machine.

Anyhow, it looks tremendous and has a lot of fun aspects to it. Although:

1) The item auto-pickup is total crap. Half the time it doesn't pick things up. And it seems the targetted hold-E down to grab all you can, is really finicky vs BL1... and the hold-down time is longer. (I just came from BL1 so this is why I notice it and its driving me nuts).

2) The new UI structure is really cumbersome vs the old. Especially the skills panels, and having to click the arrows to each panel, to see details on skills. I still haven't figure out (gotten the hand) of the inventory control. It really is oddball compared to the old system, or compared to any other system. I really do not know what they 'improved' with regards to UI.

Thats about all I had to complain about. The rest so far is awesome:

1) I really like how there is no more weapon-xp (which tended to pigeonhole you into only a couple weapons). Now its pretty much, pickup whatever, and if it kicks butt with your style, then use it!

2) Melee seems much more responsive now and can be used better in situations.

3) Its nice how the enemy AI can lose track of you now when you dart around buildings. In BL1 they always seemed to know where you were at all times which got old.

4) Its nice that there is one less ammo type (repeater ammo), although its kind of hard to figure out what is a revolver and what is a repeater now. So I tend to test out every weapon I pick up and end up wasting some ammo. But its cool that pistols are all one category now.

5) Love the weather effects, and more somewhat organic landscape. Of course right now I'm stuck in the frozen wastes... but its really cool (no pun intended)!

... SO I cant wait to get into this game when I get my new rig built!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#282 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

its not the PhysX stuff affecting your machine - there was a guy who did a side-by-side comparison of the game with it on (nVidia card) and off (AMD card) - it just doesn't even try to do them. There's different graphics and everything for some things when PhysX is off. It's got to be a bottleneck somewhere else.

It runs completely solid for me on a GTX 660Ti, and before that on a Radeon 7850 (that my wife now uses).  

Assassin... yeah, you may want to reroll.  I wasn't impressed with that class at all.

#283 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

For a game as awesome like Borderlands (1 and 2), I wont reduce graphics settings to play it :)

So I will just wait till I get my new rig up and running (which will have either the 760 or 7950, still debating). Also, I have an i7 930 (before ivy times), so it could be there too. I'll be getting a haswell for sure.

And Assassin, yeah... from the couple hours to level 8, I was not impressed with his 'special ability'. I found it very craptastic. I might start a new char as Gaige when I pick it up again.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#284 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

with the new level 72 cap (if you have all the DLC) - i like the Commando/Soldier.  Dual Longbow Rocket-equipped slagging magnetic turrets.

For the money, i'd go with the 760Ti.  You can get the same Zotac AMP! series im going to get for my new rig for the same price as most 7950s (or the R9 270 that is the rebrand) and the 760 AMP! is getting numbers nearly as good as the full-up reference GTX 770 - for 259$

I actually need to get back to BL2, really.  I finished the game well before any of the DLC hit, and finished Captain Scarlets once on the then-endgame level... and haven't touched it since.  

Really need to hit all the DLCs and get leveled up.

#285 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

I enjoyed Mordacai in BL1. Which is why I initially picked the ASsAsSin thinking it was the same kinda character. WRONG LOL.

In BL1, I got to 66 on him. Since level 32 I had been using the same weapon I found... it was a beast. Think shotgun with the accuracy and scope of a sniper rifle, packed into an insanely fast reloading revolver. Shotgun-sniper-revolver. Only shot two per reload, but reload (with skills) was so fast I rarely noticed it between taking aim at heads. Up close it was devastating even to Badasses (it shot 7 bullets with 190 damage each, 1330 total dmg, in a tight spread each trigger pull ). Love that gun. I think his revolver xp level is at 50.

Anyhoo, BL2 doesn't look like it has much of a weapon-char specific dynamic. Like if you pick this char, you should really only use this kind of weapon etc. If there is, I didn't see it yet. Is there? Personally I like pistols and snipers, since I am a "shoot only when it counts" player, and rarely waste ammo. Most my hits are criticals.

-Fm [1oM7]

#286 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 29 October 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

I enjoyed Mordacai in BL1.

For some reason, when I see or interact with Mordecai it feels like I am interacting with Frigidman, I've always had that impression since I first played him in BL1.  It's getting worse in BL2.  Get out of my head dude.  What's wrong?  Run out of room in your own head?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#287 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

I enjoyed Mordacai in BL1. Which is why I initially picked the ASsAsSin thinking it was the same kinda character. WRONG LOL.

In BL1, I got to 66 on him. Since level 32 I had been using the same weapon I found... it was a beast. Think shotgun with the accuracy and scope of a sniper rifle, packed into an insanely fast reloading revolver. Shotgun-sniper-revolver. Only shot two per reload, but reload (with skills) was so fast I rarely noticed it between taking aim at heads. Up close it was devastating even to Badasses (it shot 7 bullets with 190 damage each, 1330 total dmg, in a tight spread each trigger pull ). Love that gun. I think his revolver xp level is at 50.

Anyhoo, BL2 doesn't look like it has much of a weapon-char specific dynamic. Like if you pick this char, you should really only use this kind of weapon etc. If there is, I didn't see it yet. Is there? Personally I like pistols and snipers, since I am a "shoot only when it counts" player, and rarely waste ammo. Most my hits are criticals.

Assassin still gets a tree focused on sniper/criticals.  The top skill lets you ignore shields, IIRC, and another lets your crits pierce the target and hot another target behind for more damage.  

Soldier is still best with ARs and SMGs + potentially explosives, but it isnt as staight-jackety as BL1 was.  

I just dont like the Assassins active, really (though ere is a funny melee build for him that it works great with - only problem is you cant use it against most bosses, so its sorta worthless).  

I really like Axton's turret.  You can spec it with rocket pods for great damage, low cooldown, "Longbow" (like the grenade mod, teleports to the crosshair location, up to 10,000 range away - most of the screen, on practicality) and spec it for mag-lock - so it sticks to walls and cielings.  And that was with the launch level cap.  Now theres enough points to also grab Gemini (two turrets!) AND the talent that adds a second gun AND the talent that makes the guns auto-slag, effectively doubling the dps of the rockets and your entire party against whatever the turret(s) are engaging.  Its pretty beast.  

And Axton is the only character, IIRC, that gets a % based hp-regen both in combat (an on-kill trigger) AND an out of combat hp regen (and hes the only one to get ooc healing at all).  

Hes pretty freaking awesome.  The only thing i missed, as a Roland player, was that you cant Spec axtons turret(s) for a healing aura - but oh well.  You can get an AOE shield dome, which can be just as good.

#288 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 29 October 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

For some reason, when I see or interact with Mordecai it feels like I am interacting with Frigidman, I've always had that impression since I first played him in BL1.  It's getting worse in BL2.  Get out of my head dude.  What's wrong?  Run out of room in your own head?

I love the things he says in BL1. He had the right attitude and voice ;) Especially during headshots.

-Fm [1oM7]

#289 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 29 October 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

Assassin still gets a tree focused on sniper/criticals.  The top skill lets you ignore shields, IIRC, and another lets your crits pierce the target and hot another target behind for more damage.

As I have discovered in virtually every game that has "shoot through target to hit another", is nothing to spend skill points / money / abilities etc on. The chances of two or more heads aligning just right for a shot are super slim. And from what I have seen in BL1 and BL2, most enemies run for cover side by side, and those wandering around rarely are thick enough or standing still to make the shot.

Ignoring shields would be nice, but in BL1, I never seemed to have an issue with shields. Thats what a second rifle with shock damage was for ;)

So if thats all the assassin has in terms of improving one specific weapon, then yeah... I don't see the point.

You are also right about his special ability.

-Fm [1oM7]

#290 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

In BL2 Mordecai gives you a sniper rifle that ignores shields and damages flesh or metal.  It wasn't that powerful so I didn't use it for long but when I did it was gratifying to see some yoink die with full shields.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#291 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Mordecai is in BL2 ? It never presented him to me, despite being 66 in BL1 with him.

-Fm [1oM7]

#292 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

All the original vault hunters from BL1 are in BL2.  They in the Crimson Raiders HQ in Sanctuary giving you quests.  Don't make me come over there.  I'll come over there.  You'll be like all "ow" and junk.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#293 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Well, I only got to level 8, the frozen area, just where you kick the boss's ass on the huge cannon. At that point the game was going 5fps from all the cannon fire, that I basically gave up till I build a new rig to handle the game.

-Fm [1oM7]

#294 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ah good then I didn't spoil too much.  I could have let it slip that all of Pandora explodes from the last boss fight of the game and you are sent spinning into space with a testy female AI construct.  Not so bad you'd think but try to use the head when you can't even see the urinal from all the holographic silk stockings hanging in your face.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#295 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

And Adele sings the Borderlands 2 James Bond-esque Theme song, with such lyrics as "Handsome Jack is handsome but watch out for his wit, it's not that fit..."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aspyr