9 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8408 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

Basilisk Games has updated the website for Eschalon: Book III with a brief note that an announcement is coming November 19 for the upcoming third and final episode of the old-school fantasy RPG series. The announcement will officially confirm development of the game and will be accompanied by screenshots and more game information.

Check out the links below for more information.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7145 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

Yay! Finally the official announcement for the official announcement for the game!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

I hope they don't include the "You know those skills you laboriously upgraded with your hard-won skill points over the last 10 levels? You could have had them for a handful of spare change instead, if only you'd had psychic powers and known about these places where you can just buy them, hahaha sucker!" flaw that marred the first two games.

--Eric

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15701 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

You have to actually play the game once before you can actually play the game once.  They need an in game guide, like ads in a local gazette, quest board or a town crier.  Even a readme.txt file bundled with game would be welcome.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3819 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 06 November 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

You have to actually play the game once before you can actually play the game once.  They need an in game guide, like ads in a local gazette, quest board or a town crier.  Even a readme.txt file bundled with game would be welcome.

Hurray!  A new usable quote from tBC!
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15701 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

That'll be 5 bucks please.  In Tau Ceti bank notes if you will.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I bet they don't want that tagline showing up in media or product pages :P

(Assorted Features Here)

So hardcore you have to actually play the game once, before you can actually play the game once!
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#8 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Yes, because you can't possibly complete the game without min/maxing the trainers. :rolleyes:

#9 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

You can, of course, technically complete it (well, probably you can...I actually never did), however it's really obnoxious when, through bad luck, nearly ALL the skill points you put into your character could have just been purchased, and those points put into other skills (that can't be purchased) instead.  Therefore you could have had a much better character, and you then spend time second-guessing the game and always wondering if the skill points you're investing will be "wasted" or not.  It's just not very good game design.  tBC's idea is actually pretty good (yeah, weird, I know!)...it would be better to make it clear up-front that purchasing specific skills will be possible, so you can decide for yourself to either go ahead and spend your skill points on them if you really need them now, or wait until such time as you can access the trainers.

--Eric

#10 Kilvain

Kilvain

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

I can see your point. I actually had a similar experience, picking a lot of the "wrong" skills at the "wrong" time. As it turns out I was still able to finish both games without any difficulty that I could determine, and got to see the controversial ending of Book II. Fun stuff. I used to be very concerned with maximizing every skill choice and stat increase in RPGs, but I find these days it isn't as much fun as it used to be. So, I usually just blunder my way through, and if I end up liking the game a lot I check out a few forums to see what all the hard core min/maxers have figured out. Then I'll go back and try out a more bad ass character.

That said, I do think that the Eschalon series is very much a series targeting a niche market. I recommended Book 1 to a friend of mine and received a response email that went something along the lines of "Grass. I got killed by F$%@ing grass!" Needless to say he didn't keep playing. Things like the food & water requirement in Book II, and the seeming unfairness of the trainer system are, I think, intentional design choices by Basilisk. They wanted an old school experience, and focused on those aspects of old games that stood out to them, like the ability for players to end up with a less powerful character because they didn't yet know all the possibilities. That didn't interfere with my experience, but I can see how it would interfere with that of others, and I think it no doubt has cost Basilisk a few sales. Maybe their next game will have a different flavor.

Anyway, sorry for the earlier flippant response.