#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

(I'm not completely sure how to categorise this, but since there are some simulation aspects, I put it here...)

Ever wondered how it really would look like if you could move with the speed of light? There's an app for that.

The MIT Game Lab (who would have known such a thing exists...?) has released a game (based on Unity 3D) where all the weird effects resulting from the theory of relativity are simulated — from the doppler shift of light to time dilation. There isn't much gameplay: you wander around, collect orbs and with each collected orb the speed of light in the game world slows down, until it matches your walking speed (so you are moving at light speed). The results are pretty... psychedelic, to say the least.

The system requirements are pretty high (Intel Core 2 Duo T9900 or Core i7, 2.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.7, AMD Radeon HD 6970M/AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4850/Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT, 8GB RAM), but it's hard science.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

Great, now it's going to take us forever to get to Tau Ceti.

Seriously though, that's pretty cool. It's a good thing the player character is incorporeal; he's got to be getting some serious gamma radiation toward the end.