Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

As a big fan of the Unreal series, this is one I've literally been waiting ten years to play and forgot it existed until I got Windows set up under Boot Camp recently and remembered I had a copy I bought a long time ago just to have because I knew I'd play it one day. Fast forward to now, and I tried to load my old copy only to discover I've had a defective disc for the last ten years...

So, rebought the Special Edition off Amazon for like $5, and loaded it up. Didn't know if it'd be awesome or meh, but the game's been sitting unplayed for a decade, and it deserved to be played. Beat it last night. After ten years, the verdict is in... I actually really, really enjoyed Unreal II.

I don't understand why this game wasn't more popular back in the day, and didn't seem to receive much critical praise (at least that I remember) at the time. All I can think of is I do remember reading at the time that it had like zero advertising budget, so maybe it just flew under the radar. There's unfortunately no bot play and the servers are all dead so I couldn't check out the multiplayer much, but from what I can see it looks like it was a very unique and detailed team-based game that was probably a lot of fun.

It does look dated, but I mean, it's ten years-old. Anything from 2002 is going to look dated. But if you can look past that, the gameplay is fun, the weapons are all pretty unique and fun to use each in their own way (the flamethrower has tied Return to Castle Wolfenstein's for my Favorite Game Flamethrower Ever). Story is light but enjoyable all the way through, you can tell there was a lot of love put into the level design as many places in the game just look beautiful even for being ten years-old, and there's a lot of variety in each mission. You can tell Epic/Legend were still in "show off what Unreal Engine 2 can do" mode, and it shows. Everything from investigation to straight up shooting to teaming up with AI you can actually give orders to to defend locations, following a marine squad through a Skaarj-infested jungle as you try to reach evac, a desperate escape from a starship, and to mix it up yet more, a defense mission where you set up energy fences and autoturrets and try to hold off an attack by mercs single-handedly. Also really liked idea of the Mass Effect-ish setup of being able to wander your ship, review intel, and interact with your crew in between missions.

It's a damn shame this one never got a Mac port.

Installs and runs flawlessly right off the disc in Windows 7, and currently is the oldest game I've loaded with zero issues.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#2 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hey, yes this game is also waiting to be played by me, got it 2 years ago because people said it was nice. Now even more. :)
Heads up!
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

I've always been a big fan of the first Unreal, so I was let down when the second got so mediocre reviews. One day I'll go through Unreal. I actually started it up recently, but got stuck quite early.

Some of the initial experiences you get in Unreal, is still memories that stick for me.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Cliff Blezinski was talking about making another Unreal game set on the same planet that has RPG elements and lots of exploration. However, not too long after that he left Epic so I'm guessing that's not going to happen. :P
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#5 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

I have yet to try Unreal II. I loved Unreal back in the late 1990s. It was one of the games my friends from school and I used during our LAN parties back in the day.

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 10 October 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

I've always been a big fan of the first Unreal, so I was let down when the second got so mediocre reviews. One day I'll go through Unreal. I actually started it up recently, but got stuck quite early.

Some of the initial experiences you get in Unreal, is still memories that stick for me.
Yeah, I feel the same about the original Unreal. I mean, it wasn't best game ever, but there were a lot of moments in that game that really stuck with me, and for a game whose entire reason for being was basically acting as a giant tech demo for Epic's new engine and showing off what 3dfx cards could do, it was a lot of fun. 14 years on, a lot of the environments still stick in my mind as quite memorable and cool. I'll never forget, for example, my first journey up the Sunspire.

I felt like Unreal II was the same sort of game, but a lot more solid gameplay-wise and there was actually a very passable stab at storytelling in it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Unreal was actually my first ever true 3D game; I got that Game Wizard Mac 3dfx Voodoo2 & Unreal bundle that was running in the late 90s, and played the crap out of it on my old Mac clone.

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 10 October 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Cliff Blezinski was talking about making another Unreal game set on the same planet that has RPG elements and lots of exploration. However, not too long after that he left Epic so I'm guessing that's not going to happen. :P

Well hell, just get me excited and then let me down all in the same 2 seconds!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

Unreal was the game that showed best what the 3Dfx Voodoo 2 could do in my opinion. That's what I played it on too... although at the time I was on PC.. not Mac (I had a new Pentium 2 system at the time). Although for me the distinction of first 3D FPS game that I played went to (GL)Quake.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7