5 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

Inside Mac Games has posted the latest article in Justin Ancheta's continuing series of guides. The articles offer detailed instructions for running Windows versions of game titles which either never made it to Macs, or have Mac versions incompatible with recent OS releases. This week Justin turned his attention to Shogo: Mobile Armor Division.

Here's an excerpt:

There's something gloriously ridiculous about anime that, even when it's at its most serious, prevents it from ever being taken completely seriously. It's almost as if being an anime is, in and of itself, a license to get away with exploiting as many cheaply-executed, emotionally manipulative and logically outlandish tropes and stereotypes as possible. Yet, despite this, many such anime movies and series can do that while being undeniably charming and surprisingly entertaining. Not many other forms of entertainment can really pull that off to the degree that anime has, being able to cleverly get around the technological and practical limitations of its medium by allowing the viewer to inhabit a special space. A space where suspension isn't so much disbelieved as it is obliterated by a volley of drunken missiles, stomped on by a colossal 50-ft. robot, and squeezed to death between the mammary glands of a schoolgirl to whom puberty has been especially generous. When you think about it in that context, it makes perfect sense: why not put all of that into a computer game? Why not have a computer game about colossal robots and ridiculously overpowered weaponry?

Head over to the link below for the full article.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1455 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

WHOA! That screenshot's yelling 3dfx Voodoo color banding...
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#3 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Loved this game back in the day. Fun times, you even got a branching storyline towards the end with different levels.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#4 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 08 October 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

WHOA! That screenshot's yelling 3dfx Voodoo color banding...
That's not too far from the truth because when this game came out 3Dfx cards where still popular and people had to run games in 16-bit color for performance reasons and engines tended to support 16-bit color mainly... and also we only had a couple of MB's on average for textures.

Personally, I've always felt like the first lithtech games always had weak models and sounds and where quite buggy. Especially Blood 2... that was a dissapointment to me compared to the amazing original even though that was on the build engine with 2D sprites. The models in Blood 2 looked all spindly and weak and not at all solidly put together.

Anyway, Shogo was one of those games much like Oni where a western studio (Monolith in this case) tried to ape the anime style which made it even more stereotypical than actual anime but it was pretty interesting for the day anyway.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#5 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

It was a super funny game! I've bought it for Amiga PPC!
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13 Touch Bar 2017 i7 3.5Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Mantiz Venus eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
LG 34 34UC88 Ultrawide Display
Steelseries Rival 700, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Me too, but then my Amiga died before I could play more than the first few levels.  Eventually I got a G5 Mac, and got the Mac version off eBay, but the Mac version did not work on OS X under Classic.  Just recently I got it on GOG, so I could, at long last, play it (using Crossover), which makes the timing of this article nicely coincidental.  ;)  (So yes, I had every single version of this game except the Linux version, though I did re-sell the Mac version some time ago.)

--Eric