#21 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1188 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

Those SOBs actually released it for Mac... I'll give 'em a dollar. :glare:
OS X 10.9.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#22 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7098 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 28 May 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:

Hey, they only missed their original date by one and a half year. Give them some slack. :P

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#23 macdude22

macdude22

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 28 May 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:

Bought the 4 pack, just because.
http://raptr.com/rakden

Desktop (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || EVGA GTX 680 2GB (Mac Edition) || 2 TB Seagate SSHD (Macintosh Boot) + 240 GB OWC SSD (Windows Boot) + 2TB Western Digital Black (Windows Data) || Apple Studio Display

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7098 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

I just played a while and the game indeed runs pretty good. I'm running it at 1440x900 on Very High settings and manually disabled motion blur (which I cannot stand and also improves the performance a bit) and it definitely performs quite well. I don't have exact numbers, though, but it seems to be at least something around 30–40 fps.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#25 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3175 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, most of the game seems to run fine for me except for the intro area to the "Orphanage" in the latter half of the game (I think of it as the Asylum) where the frame rate seems to halve for me. But the rest of the game seems to have a higher overall frame rate.

Once I get into the orphanage the frame rate is OK again.

Also, the swamp boss had OK performance as well.

In Painkiller Black that level was actually part of the DLC add-on episode "battle out of hell".

BTW, to be a little more specific about how some levels looked better in Painkiller Black.. in the train station for example Painkiller H&D lacks some of the glass effects that Painkiler Black had in the area that looks like ticket booths.

https://dl.dropboxus...ller/PKB_58.jpg <-somehow they neglected to replicate stuff like this

same windows in Painkiller H&D: https://dl.dropboxus...ler/PKHD_01.png

(They also don't shatter as well in Painkiller H&D) They lack the refraction shader and aren't as high res despite me having the settings on very high.

The swamp boss had better liquid looking effects in Painkiller Black in my opinion... although the level had better lighting in Painkiller H&D.

Also, there seems to be less ragdoll effects in the levels in Painkiller H&D. There seems to be relatively less enemy types in it and others that are included such as orphans and mini skeletons are reused more.

Lastly, like I said before.. Painkiller H&D is an abridged version of Painkiller Black such that it has quite a few less levels including the entire military base section.

Still for $4 it's not bad especially since it does look better in quite a few areas objectively speaking. I can just tell that most of the content was recycled though with some spit shine added to it.

Someone who insists on having as many hours as possible in a game might be well served getting Painkiller Triple Dose from Amazon and installing both games in Wine or Crossover or whatever floats your boat. Even if you get the DLC for H&D it doesn't hold a candle to how much content there is there. :)

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001AZTU28

I have it.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#26 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 28 May 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Someone who insists on having as many hours as possible in a game might be well served getting Painkiller Triple Dose from Amazon and installing both games in Wine or Crossover or whatever floats your boat. Even if you get the DLC for H&D it doesn't hold a candle to how much content there is there. :)

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001AZTU28

I have it.

For the same price until Friday, you can get almost everything Painkiller from Steam with the Complete Pack on sale at -80%:
http://store.steampo....com/sub/35563/
You just need to add $2 for the Collector's Edition upgrade if you want to have it all: http://store.steampo....com/sub/18606/

I have it too. ;)

#27 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3175 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks like the DLC "zombie bunker" might have those levels I was missing from Painkiller Black for Painkiller H&D... and seems like a good deal overall*.

*On the other hand.. a benefit to using the retail painkiller triple dose discs is the copies on there have no DRM... not even a disc check at this point. So, one doesn't have to launch a third party client like Steam in order to run it. Handy when running it from a Wine wrapper.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: painkiller, steam, mac, hell, damnation, pre-order