Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Yes you heard that right! Unfortunately no Mac version yet. The way I did it to install it in OS X right now using totally free software and not pirating a thing is doing the following:

(1) Open wineskin winery and create a new wrapper I recommend 1.5.12AMDSpeedHack for most Macs such as mine.
(2) Run winetricks and install the following:
  • Steam
  • d3dx9
  • d3dcompiler_43
  • d3dxof
  • Optional: Enable Multisampling
(3) Login to Steam
(4) Close Steam
(5) Install Black Mesa using wineskins installer utility
(6) Let it install source SDK 2007
(7) Add this command line argument to "EXE flags" for steam.exe in wineskin (no cracking involved):
-applaunch 218 -game "....SourceModsBMS"
(8) Optional: Use the icon I made and released last night for the game.
(9) Optional: Install vcrun2005 via winetricks. May help with the stability a bit.

A few bugs and crashes here and there... some of which are reported even in windows. Works good for the most part though. They indicated they aren't going to compile it for Mac anytime soon unless Valve does a substantial update to the Source SDK.

I'm really liking it so far. Very professional for a TC mod. It's almost hard to believe it's not official.

*Update* Someone at portingteam.com claims setting the windows version to win7 with wineskin helps with the stability some too. For me it made it less stable. Not more.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Even after all these years, they are still not done with it. I'll wait until I can play it all through.

Word is that it will be released on Steam.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, they got steam greenlit. Who knows when it's going to happen though they seem uncommitted to saying as to when it's going to be released through that. So if you want to play it NOW and want to play it in OS X this is your best bet, for now. But yeah, they released everything up until the Xen part in this release.

Hopefully when it drops on Steam though they'll also get it compiled natively for the Mac. I'm not holding my breath though.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#4 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

For the record, it requires a source engine game, regardless if it's half life 2, or portal? Haven't set up wine on my computer yet, honestly I'd prefer playing a os x native version.
What is a man?

#5 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yes, although it also uses compiled dll's which would also have to be recompiled to dylibs to use on the Mac steam. Also it is currently written specifically to install and run through the source SDK 2007 which is currently not available for the Mac. It goes without saying that I would also like a native OS X version but that's not happening right now... who knows when it will happen. They are bullish about it saying that it wont happen until Valve does a substantial update to the Source SDK.

I got up the the episode "questionable ethics" and it's crashing a lot near the lobby area. :bleedingeyes: Changed a few settings and got further but ran into a few bugs later on. Those of you who aren't up to finagling with their games are probably best served holding off until an official Mac release is done or at least until there's been updates and patches done for the game.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#6 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

Did some more tinkering to my BMS WINE installation

Did a test doing a new play-through with the changes I have made and I got up to "we've got hostiles" without any crashes. So to me porting it and testing it out for a bit and saying no crashes so far doesn't mean a whole lot. In my opinion one needs to do a lot of stress testing to determine how stable it really is.

Currently after a while performance issues start cropping up and I have to close it and reopen it to restore performance which isn't much better than it crashing and me having to reopen it and start from my last quicksave point.

The extra things I did where:

switched to 1.4 rawinput engine
Winetricks:
  • win7
  • vsm=hardware
  • orm=fbo
  • psm=enabled
  • ddr=gdi
  • D3D9_43
Posted my thoughts having completed all the levels the game has so far.. (all of them up to the epilogue known as Xen).... here.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#7 iillll

iillll

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

I'm having an odd problem with this. Keep in mind this is my first time using wine. I followed your directions and everything seemed to work well. I got steam installed along with black mesa and SDK 2007. The game starts up and runs pretty well. The only problem is that some of the text in game is missing. The title is missing from the title screen, when the game is loading a new section it just freezes for a bit instead of saying "loading". And, most importantly, there is no Health or energy numbers at the bottom, which makes things difficult. Any idea how to fix this?