125 replies to this topic

#41 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

View Postdojoboy, on 14 September 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

iPhone 5 preordered, Bitches!

I think I'm resigned to going to be the last regular poster here on these forums that doesn't own an iPhone. The monthly contract in southern Ontario with any of the carriers that includes a decent amount of data? I think the prices and three-year enforced term is utter robbery. I can spend $200-$500 on a nice phone, but can not get out of my head that it's really costing me another $2,700.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#42 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 14 September 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

I think I'm resigned to going to be the last regular poster here on these forums that doesn't own an iPhone. The monthly contract in southern Ontario with any of the carriers that includes a decent amount of data? I think the prices and three-year enforced term is utter robbery. I can spend $200-$500 on a nice phone, but can not get out of my head that it's really costing me another $2,700.

I think about the approximate $1,200 going out annually as well. I find comfort in that my employer covers 30%. And, now that I've gone with Verizon, I receive a 10% discount also.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#43 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Had a lengthy talk with all 3 of the big carriers at Conestoga Mall the other day Davey (it's a mall we both live close to). None of them offer more then 1 GB of Data in any of their standalone plans, BUT bell has this plan where if you "tie into" someone else's existing bell plan, you can get 6 GB of data (that's not shared data, data just for you :) ).

I'm currently on bell, and got one of their promo plans a few months back where i get unlimited everything, plus 6 GB of data, for $65/month, and my friend is just going to "tie into" my line and get himself 300 minutes, unlimited text, and 6 GB of data for $55/month.

It sounds complicated, but I'd go into the bell store and ask about it if your interested. I talked to the spanish looking follow.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#44 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

I think I'm resigned to going to be the last regular poster here on these forums that doesn't own an iPhone.

Frost and I don't, as Frost explained previously and I agreed with...what are we, chopped liver?

--Eric

#45 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

On my list of things I want to do, getting an iPhone is just behind sliding down a 10 foot razor blade into a vat of brine.  So, any day now!  Not really.  It's as far off as you'd think it would be.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#46 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 14 September 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

On my list of things I want to do, getting an iPhone is just behind sliding down a 10 foot razor blade into a vat of brine.  So, any day now!  Not really.  It's as far off as you'd think it would be.
But it's very useful to surf the web on the crapper.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#47 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 14 September 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Frost and I don't, as Frost explained previously and I agreed with...what are we, chopped liver?

I think because we're green instead of blue, and there are only three of us, he doesn't recognize any of us as people. I protest this marginalization and unfair treatment of minorities.

View PostJanichsan, on 14 September 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

And then post Facebook updates about the size and color.

View PostJanichsan, on 14 September 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

Well, Steve wasn't always right and at times, he also changed his mind. There are about as many (consistent) pictures of leaked parts for an iPad mini as there were for the iPhone 5, so there's apparently some truth behind the rumours about Apple working on one.

After reading about their design process, I'd actually be extremely surprised if they haven't been playing with prototypes of one for quite a while. I just don't personally think one's going to be forthcoming in the near future without at least an overhaul of the pricing structure.

Then again, when iPad 4 hits, maybe it will hit with a mini and a pricing structure overhaul. We'll see. I personally really want to see them up the capacity of the iPads. If they want me to work AND play on one, then 64GB should be the new 32GB, and 128GB should be the new 64GB. That or go iCandy and move to OLED screens. Seeing the XEL-1 in action followed by the PS Vita completely sold me on OLED. That on an iOS device would be all kinds of awesome, but it might take took too big a bite out of Apple's crazy profit margins for them to actually do it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#48 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 September 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Well, of course no one who walks into an Apple Store today would mistake an iPad mini with an iPod touch, neither does Apple market the iPad mini as anything, since there is not iPad mini — yet. It's purely speculative if Apple would sell an iPad mini as more as an media device.

I'm sure Apple will market the mini just like the iPad (that's what I was referring to), because it'll be an iPad 2 in a 7" display, same screen resolution, apps, and all. I could see Apple giving them colors and marketing them more towards teens, though, like they do with the touch. But they will definitely emphasize that it's capable of doing everything its larger brethren can, as that will set it apart from Amazon.

But let's pretend for a moment there would be an iPad mini and Apple would sell it for a competitive price of $200. Now someone walks into an Apple Store, and sees on the one hand an iPod touch for $300+, and on the other hand an iPad mini that is able of the same (if not more) and has a larger screen, but costs less. What do think that person would pick?

Who knows? It depends on that person's needs. You may as well be saying  nobody will buy an iMac because you can get a 11" MacBook Air for less.

I still think they are totally separate products. People can and do own both an iPhone or Touch and an iPad. People can and will own both an iPhone or touch and a mini.

View Postdojoboy, on 14 September 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

iPhone 5 preordered, Bitches!

Me too! Initial run on Apple.com sold out in an hour. Insanity.

#49 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 14 September 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

You can do that with an iPod touch.

View PostFrost, on 14 September 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

I think because we're green instead of blue, and there are only three of us, he doesn't recognize any of us as people.

Those darn blues.  Always hating on the greens.  It makes me sick.

--Eric

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostCougar, on 14 September 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

I'm sure Apple will market the mini just like the iPad (that's what I was referring to), ...

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. As I said, that's purely speculative.

You may as well be saying  nobody will buy an iMac because you can get a 11" MacBook Air for less.

No, I wouldn't. A relatively powerful, definitely non-portable desktop PC and a small and light-weight, but comparatively low performing laptop have relatively little in common when it comes to what you buy them for. A 4" portable media player and a 7" portable media playing tablet on the other hand have a much larger overlap.

People can and do own both an iPhone or Touch and an iPad. People can and will own both an iPhone or touch and a mini.

Sure they could. They might also throw an iPod nano in the mix. But not everyone wants a complete handful of different devices. And not everyone can afford it. These are economically difficult times and people might have to choose between an iPad mini and an iPod touch. And if the iPad mini is cheaper (or close to the iPod touch in price), the iPod will lose. It's the economically sensible choice.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 14 September 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Those darn blues.  Always hating on the greens.  It makes me sick.
Amen. I have a dream that one day, a man can be judged by the content of his posts, and not the color of his user group.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#52 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 14 September 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. As I said, that's purely speculative.

Of course. At this point, just talking about the mini is speculative. But Apple is actually a very predictable company if you pay attention.

A 4" portable media player and a 7" portable media playing tablet on the other hand have a much larger overlap.

My comparison was a bit tongue-in cheek. My point is that the overlap is a lot less than you're making it out to be.

#53 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 14 September 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

You can do that with an iPod touch.
...when you have wifi available.

#54 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Are you telling me you don't have wifi in your toilets in Germany? What the hell is this?

Eric5h5:

#55 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

View PostFrost, on 14 September 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Are you telling me you don't have wifi in your toilets in Germany? What the hell is this?
germans like to poop.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#56 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

Okay, so the things we should take away from this thread are that the iPhone 5 does not have NFC and

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 15 September 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

germans like to poop.

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#57 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

I own an iPhone 3GS. It's the first smart phone I've ever had. It's served me very well. I am eligible for a full upgrade discount in November and my two year commitment with AT&T completely runs its course next March. I've decided I'm going to wait until March and then either get an iPhone 4S off contract or stick with this iPhone 3GS and go with the Straight Talk plan from Walmart. $45 a month for unlimited everything (technically they start throttling data at 2 GB which is still more than enough for me). Ironically as long as I'm using an AT&T iPhone I would still be getting service through the AT&T network with Straight Talk because that's what they use for such phones. Apple's visual voicemail doesn't work with Straight Talk but you can solve that problem via a third-party app called "YouMail". I know some people doing this and they are very happy with it. No contracts either. Right now I'm paying $65 a month for 450 minutes and 200 MB per month. No texting. Big difference.

As for the iPad I have to agree that there's a pretty big difference between a 7" tablet and an iPod touch. I owned an iPod touch a few years ago (replaced by that iPhone) and I've played around with a friends 7 inch tablet (Kindle Fire). That extra real estate makes a huge difference for a number of activities. I've also owned a first-generation iPad and now a third-generation iPad and there's a noticeable difference between that and a 7" tablet (although not as dramatic as the other difference).

Since Apple just released a $300 iPod touch I'm now somewhat baffled with what they might intend to do with an iPad mini, assuming one exists at all. I agree that $349 probably makes the most sense with what we now know but will it be enough for people to go gaga over with a couple of decent $200 tablets out there? I'm not so sure. Although betting against Apple is usually not very wise. The next two months should be very interesting!

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#58 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostFrost, on 14 September 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Are you telling me you don't have wifi in your toilets in Germany?
Not everywhere, unfortunately. :P

Posted Image

#59 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

View PostTacohead, on 15 September 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Since Apple just released a $300 iPod touch

This isn't a new thing.  They've always had a 32GB model for $300, and a 64GB model for $400.

--Eric

#60 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostEric5h5, on 15 September 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

This isn't a new thing.  They've always had a 32GB model for $300, and a 64GB model for $400.

--Eric

Yeah I know that but I was thinking that if they ever released another iPod touch they might lower the price of it to create a gap for the iPad Mini. There's not much of a gap now.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB