Endless Space 4X strategy now available for Mac!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

If you purchased it back when it was in testing, then you can get it from Steam now.  But the Steam store page won't be updated to reflect Mac availability until around 7 pm tonight.  I've already wasted a whole night playing this game and, I have to say, it was worth it.  I encourage all Master of Orion fans to look into this game right away.  This needs to be featured on the front page.

Endless Space Mac release trailer.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#2 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Looks like the Steam store page has finally been updated.  Endless Space is officially a go!
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#3 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3795 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Done. Your recommendation is enough for me to check it out.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

It was pretty good during testing, barring a few imbalances and memory leaks.
Haven't actually played it since it hit full release, but I will most certainly return to it at some point!

Love a bit of 4x every once in a while. :)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1718 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Looks nice, don't have time right now though. Added to the Steam wishlist.

#6 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

The game so far is quite good; a very solid foundation.  The studio that developed it is independent, with limited resources, and has been working with the community to figure out what features are important that need to be tweaked or added to the game.  I get the feeling that this game is going to get better and more immersive over the coming months and years.  A good thing, too; I think I've finally had about all the GalCiv 2 I can take.  It's about time for a new space 4X king to take the throne for a while.  And this one is Mac native, a real rarity in the 4X genre.

Everyone go and buy it now.  It's only $29.99.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#7 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3373 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

Bought it. Ever since MoO3, I've been wary of space 4x. But, I'm with DJJ.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#8 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • 3795 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Just finished downloading. Been away and working hard on the reprint for the (arguably) best wargame ever made, Up Front (I'm part of the official team that's relaunching this nearly 30 year old but still utterly groundbreaking title).
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#9 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

Can anyone recommend a good 4X that supports PBEM ?

#10 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

...I'm married with two toddlers... this game makes me wish I'd more time. :crying: ...at least I have a lot of sex.
OS X 10.9.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#11 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

I know the feeling.  Although, I have to say that at the moment the game could use a little fleshing out.  I think the designers are still hard at work taking player feedback and adding to the game, which makes me feel good.  As it stands, Endless Space is a fantastic base, with loads of potential.  It just needs a little more detail layered on top.

This really should get a front page story on this site.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#12 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • 3795 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

Still working on figuring out how to actually play this thing. Pretty though. I am that old?
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#13 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

You'll get there.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#14 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 06 September 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Still working on figuring out how to actually play this thing. Pretty though. I am that old?
In considering the purchase I've watched a handful of YT videos myself...

View Postclocknova, on 06 September 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

This really should get a front page story on this site.
Agreed.
OS X 10.9.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7007 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

I stumbled yesterday on the game in a retail store, sporting a nice little Mac logo on its box and a nice little Mac logo on the disc — and immediately picked it up. Turned out the Mac logos were a bit of false advertising, since the only thing for Mac on the disc is actually only an installer for Steam. There's the sentence "Mac version only by means of Steam key activation" printed in very fine print on the back of the box. :glare: Well, at least I got a nice box for my shelf, a printed manual and a nice art book...

The game didn't leave a very good first impression by defaulting to a resolution that cuts off important parts of the user interface (I had to edit the preferences file with a text editor) and by crashing so hard at my first attempt to set the graphics detail to a higher setting that I had to force shut-down my MBP...

But now it runs — smoothly — and looks great. Now I'll only have to find the time to really dig into the game.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#16 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

Enjoy... and please share your experience, Jan! I'm still on the fence...

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 7007 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 14 October 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

Enjoy... and please share your experience, Jan! I'm still on the fence...
After the initial hitches (see above), the game runs very smooth and stable now. Definitely a good game and recommendable, but there's a very steep learning curve. The game's very complex and neither the in-game tutorials (simply screenshots with bullet points marking important stuff) nor the manual (basically the tutorials in printed form) do a very good job explaining everything. It doesn't really help either that the user interface is sometimes more complicated than necessary and unintuitive. Plus, there is a couple of minor bugs that add to the confusion by sometimes preventing stuff to work like it should without discernible reason.

So, you can expect the AI civilizations — and the bloody pirates! — to wipe the floor with you in the first couple of games, until you really get a grasp on the game.

There is only one major gripe I have about the game: you only have a couple of seconds to react when there is a battle imminent and choose whether the battle should be fought automatically or manually. If you miss that choice the game defaults to automatic, and early on in the game that spells basically an instant loss of your precious fleet. First of all, I think that short real-time countdown is a really dumb design idea for an otherwise turn-based game. Secondly, it's very easy to miss that timer, since the battle notification sometimes only appears a couple of seconds after the new turn has begun and you are already deep in a star system's information screen. Then you only get an unobtrusive sound signal and an ugly surprise when you return to the galaxy view.

Oh, and the battle animations get old pretty quickly.

Other than that, a good game and definitely worth the money.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"