Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

So, just got done talking to another tech about it and apparently he's seen several of these today, 100% of them from Macs with Momentus XTs, and, well... signature. 10.8's disk utility seems to be detecting problems where none exist on Momentus XTs. Just gonna assume it's a hiccup in the new version of disk utility.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#42 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

I gave up and simply added this to my /etc/hosts file ...

184.72.115.86 search.yahoo.com

Then I set the default search in Safari to be Yahoo! (since it's the one of the three I'd be least likely to use) and voila, works perfectly, straight redirects in the omnibus in Safari 6 to DuckDuckGo.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#43 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

The Momentus XTs do have a bit of a troubled history with OSX, don't they? Sounds like they'll be wanting a firmware update ASAP!  :mellow:

In brighter news, I've borrowed an iOS6 beta slot from a friend. Just restoring the back up now, and then I'll be living the dream with, um... Passbook and stuff...
Tell the truth, I mainly want it for iCloud Tabs. That stuff is cool.

Oh, Davey, that's awesome.  :lol:
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#44 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

Well, engaged in a little layman's modding and tried dropping 10.7.4's Dock into CoreServices and seeing what would happen just for popsnizzles and giggles. Brought my beloved Leopard-Lion Dock back with full functionality!

Unfortunately, the Dashboard is then splayed all over the screen permanently too. Guess it'll take someone who knows what they're doing while mucking around in the OS, but at least it seems possible. Went back to the 10.8 Dock for now. :P

(Don't worry, the above was done in a controlled environment)

I also found this little gem and wish I'd found it much sooner: Launchpad-Control

Finally, a cleaned up, organized Launchpad without piles of extraneous crap!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#45 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

Ironically I was using skins kind of like the new dock skin in Lion and Snow Leopard. The one in Mt. Lion is closer to what I usually use than anything in the past. Although I will still probably change it when and if candybar is updated for Mt. Lion. I mean.. look at this:

Posted Image

The top one is my dock in Lion.. the bottom of course is Mt. Lion. So it's a skin that I don't mind being stuck with for a while.

If I have to pick something I don't particularly care for in Mt. Lion's interface it's the expanding scrollbars. I was perfectly fine with how they worked in Lion.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#46 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

View Postteflon, on 26 July 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

Oh, Davey, that's awesome.  :lol:
Thanks! That trick also has the added benefit of not interfering with accessing other yahoo!-related stuff in your browser like groups, news, email etc. Only searches get redirected.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#47 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

For those who think Lion and Mt. Lion have bad changes and still think Microsoft is doing any better I encourage you to take a look at this article: http://www.pcgamesn....anyone-pc-space
It may just be me but the way they are saying it there is pretty damning for the Windows platform and like Microsoft is weening people off the PC in general towards the Xbox in a more aggressive way than anything Apple is doing.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#48 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

How can you add an application to notifications in Mtn. Lion?
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#49 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

View Postdojoboy, on 27 July 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

How can you add an application to notifications in Mtn. Lion?

Growl + Hiss?

#50 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Wow, had to look that up to make sure it was for reals. :P

http://collect3.com.au/hiss/

Have to shut off growl to use hiss.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#51 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thanks.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#52 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Okay, I finally came around to install ML and mess around with it a bit. When I first logged into my admin account after installing ML, the computer locked up on me. Completely. So much for a good first impression...

But after that, I'm content. One of the biggest complaints I had about Lion has been fixed, and so far my Mini runs pretty well and speedy. I haven't encountered any program so far, that does not work at all under ML, but my 1Password plugin for Safari keeps complaining. It still works, though. I'm not particular fond of the proportionally sized tabs in Safari and I don't really care much about the unified search and address bar (I already didn't really like it in Chrome or the later versions of Firefox), but at least Safari is really fast (at the moment...). I agree with Frost that the indicators in the Dock have become a bit too inconspicuous (at least they are still available).

I noticed one odd thing: when I tried to remove Notes, Reminders and that Launchpad crap from the Dock after installing ML, I couldn't do it the way I could do it usually, by simply dragging it out of the Dock. I actually had to drag it to the trashcan (dragging it onto the desktop made a copy of the applications!). I still can remove anything else the old way, though...

EDIT: Just noticed another problem that slightly annoys me. Certain resolutions are no longer available, also in games. Unfortunately, that includes 1280x720, which is my standard in many games... :glare:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#53 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 27 July 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

I noticed one odd thing: when I tried to remove Notes, Reminders and that Launchpad crap from the Dock after installing ML, I couldn't do it the way I could do it usually, by simply dragging it out of the Dock. I actually had to drag it to the trashcan (dragging it onto the desktop made a copy of the applications!).
Apparently you're supposed to drag some distance (at least one inch) and hold for a bit?  (I don't have ML but that's what I read.)

--Eric

#54 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 27 July 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Apparently you're supposed to drag some distance (at least one inch) and hold for a bit?  (I don't have ML but that's what I read.)
Hm, sounds unintuitive.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#55 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostFrost, on 26 July 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

No problems so far other than my version of Parallels being out of date and therefore incompatible with 10.8, requiring me to go hunting for an update since I couldn't start it to autoupdate.
If you haven't found it yet, here's the fix.

#56 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 27 July 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Hm, sounds unintuitive.
Yeah, I ran into that as well. I've got mostly the same dock setup on all my machines (Parallels 7 in place of Virtual PC 7 on the MBP), so I removed Notes and Reminders from my Dock only to have Mountain Lion stick them right back twice.

Tried dragging them off and holding them off until the little dust cloud appear on the icon, THEN let up. That did the trick. Like several recent MacOS "features" it's annoying for people who know what they're doing, but I guess helpful for the legion of clueless users who accidentally click things off of their Dock and then panic and go "my stuff is gone!"

Starting to feel a bit like I've felt on the consoles for years; the experience is being geared more and more toward the cavemen.

View PostJanichsan, on 27 July 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

If you haven't found it yet, here's the fix.
I found it; thanks. :)

Eric5h5:

#57 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

This removing from Dock stuff is just retarded. But I have often heard about clueless-don't-know-what-google-is people that couldn't figure out what they did when they dragged items out of the Dock.

#58 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

My 83 year-old grandmother used to do that semi-regularly, but she's the only one I've ever known of first hand.

Eric5h5:

#59 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Actually it fits with the deleting of apps in iOS in some ways. Hold forever to get the Xs and then remove them.

Oh well right click -> Options -> Keep in dock works too.

#60 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

I figured they turn on locking the icons to the dock by default. Here I had just been right clicking on an app while it's closed and go to options and remove from dock. I think they might have done it so people using touchpads wont accidently remove icons from the dock...... but yeah I was like.. errr.. what? Why won't it let me remove the icons.. at first.  :cool:
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said: