Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

I got "upgraded" from a 1.5Mbps to a 3Mbps connection recently and mountain lion only took a couple of hours (or it seemed that way anyway.... maybe four hours at most) to download and then about 20 minutes to make a USB thumb drive with. Then about 40 minutes to install. Didn't take very much time at all.

I ended up going with a program called liteicon to customise my folders and drives and then manually customizing the applications that where reset back to the default icons the old fashioned way by the way.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#22 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

Just about everything I'm running in Mountain Lion is noticeably faster than in Lion. This is probably the biggest bump in speed I've seen solely from upgrading the OS since the jump from 10.2 to 10.3. Chief of which is Safari 6, which is blazing.

No problems so far other than my version of Parallels being out of date and therefore incompatible with 10.8, requiring me to go hunting for an update since I couldn't start it to autoupdate.

Running on "Chromium" in my signature if curious.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#23 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

View Postjgwdoc, on 25 July 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

No Lions for me.
Snow Leopard 4 ever.
Or at least till I'm absolutely forced.

you don't know what you're saying, Lion was already much more better than Snow Leopard and has a lot of minor features which rocks. But speaking of gaming about everygame i've tried under Lion (benchmarked i mean) is faster than Snow Leopard, so speaking with gaming in mind, you MUST update you OS to Mountain Lion to have better 3D drivers and new OpenGL.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#24 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

Frost ... You can't download ammo over your DSL line? What the hell backwards state are you living in, man?  :blink:

Anyhow, game-wise I haven't had a chance to review. I downloaded overnight and installed this AM before going to work. Noted that Transmit 4.1.7 and Snapz Pro 2 were not compatible but haven't had time to fix. Will test with games over next few nights and report any oddities.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

View Postikir, on 26 July 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

you don't know what you're saying, Lion was already much more better than Snow Leopard and has a lot of minor features which rocks.
To be honest, I would be with jgwdoc if my Mac mini wouldn't have to run Lion in the first place: having both Snow Leopard on my Macbook and (Mountain) Lion on my mini, I can say that there is more about Lion that annoys me than new features I find useful. Actually, the only two new features I like about Lion are the ability to resize windows from any part of the border and the ability for delta updates and in-app purchases (for DLC and expansions in games) in the MAS. No kidding.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 25 July 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

It'd be better if Safari easily supported DuckDuckGo and other search engines.

I love DuckDuckGo. Any ideas how to get it back with the omnibox yet? I think I had Glims installed to add it to Safari before...

10.8 is looking rather good. Admittedly, I've now put a severely throttled SSD into my 2008 MBP with its lowly SATA I, and it's pretty dreamy. SSDs are awesome.

Been spending the last few hours remembering to look up particular terminal commands to get little niceties such as removing the drop shadows from full-window screen grabs and making dock icons for hidden apps transparent. I should really make a note of all these for the next time I want to do a clean install. I'm always forgetting something or other...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#27 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostFrost, on 26 July 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

When everybody's got 50 megabit connections and servers can serve up data that fast even when there's high demand, I'll be onboard with the downloadable-only people. Until then, download-only for multigigabyte stuff = blah.

We're basically at the start of this era, the US is on average however a few years behind many countries.

#28 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

View Postteflon, on 26 July 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

I love DuckDuckGo. Any ideas how to get it back with the omnibox yet? I think I had Glims installed to add it to Safari before...

Glims doesn't seem to work. I'll test my tried-true method of using the Languages pref pane and adding "ddg SPACE" typed in to mean "http://duckduckgo.com/?q=" and use that. I really really despise Apple for making it so very difficult to add custom search engines. If FF had a better UI and/or Chrome wasn't made by the "don't not do evil" company, I'd use one of them. Maybe go to Iron browser (a more secure branch of Chromium, when I'm not using Tor's outdated version of FF).

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#29 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 26 July 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

To be honest, I would be with jgwdoc if my Mac mini wouldn't have to run Lion in the first place: having both Snow Leopard on my Macbook and (Mountain) Lion on my mini, I can say that there is more about Lion that annoys me than new features I find useful. Actually, the only two new features I like about Lion are the ability to resize windows from any part of the border and the ability for delta updates and in-app purchases (for DLC and expansions in games) in the MAS. No kidding.
You'll love Mountain Lion. If you don't use the sidebar, the little button in the upper right to make it go away, which affects subsequently opened windows as well, is gone, and you have to drag the sidebar closed in every. single. folder. What's more, once you rearrange some icons, if you are used to clicking the resize button to cut the window down to only the side it needs to be, you'll now have it jutting way out to the side to account for a search window in every Finder window. Even if you have the toolbar hidden and the search bar removed. Meaning you have to resize every. single. folder. manually.

The awesome dock that's been around since Leopard has also been turned a stark grayish white, and the circular lights under running apps has turned to a thin little white bar. Which seems like just an aesthetic change at first, except that the moment you want to use a quick glance or peripheral vision to see which apps are open, you can't, because it blends in between the dock and the silver frame of the screen (if on a laptop). Meh.

Next thing I do is hunt to see if you can undo the "improvements" in any of the preferences.

Still like everything else about Mountain Lion, but the Finder is a step backwards overall IMO.

Actually, wait, no. Not just Finder. Launchpad too. The FIRST thing I did when I got Mountain Lion was hit up the Launchpad to see if I could get rid of the pile of useless unremovable links. Nope. They're still stuck there, still necessitating a "Trash" folder inside Launchpad where all the unwanted app icons go. Yay. I hardly ever touch launchpad anyway, but it turning into the Mac equivalent of the average Windows user's desktop with a giant pile of aliases everywhere is not exactly encouraging me to start. At least you can zap the aliases in Windows.

EDIT: My other major annoyance, "Scroll direction: Natural" for the mouse preference pane and the trackpad preference pane are still tied together. So, still going into system preferences to toggle it manually every time I switch between the trackpad and mouse.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#30 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostFrost, on 26 July 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

You'll love Mountain Lion. If you don't use the sidebar, the little button in the upper right to make it go away, which affects subsequently opened windows as well, is gone, and you have to drag the sidebar closed in every. single. folder.
That the lozenge is gone isn't new (that already was the case in Lion) and unless they haven't changed that in ML, you get the same effect as clicking it by either right (or control) clicking on the toolbar of a Finder window and selecting "Hide Toolbar" or hiding it from the "View" menu.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#31 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Ah good. I guess I didn't even notice because Lion didn't force the sidebar back into my face in all my folders, whereas Mountain Lion is. Okay, that's one annoyance down. The resizing leaving a big white blank space jutting out to the side on a bunch of folders still isn't cool though.

Eric5h5:

#32 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 26 July 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

Glims doesn't seem to work. I'll test my tried-true method of using the Languages pref pane and adding "ddg SPACE" typed in to mean "http://duckduckgo.com/?q=" and use that.

I'm sure the search options are just defined by and xml/plist somewhere in the .app bundle, should be identifiable and editable.

#33 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

The reason some of the US mirrors might have been slow: http://gigaom.com/20...tworks-traffic/

RE: Annoyances, check: http://lifehacker.co...gest-annoyances

#34 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Took me 16 minutes to download. Apparently my 25/25 connection thought it was a 60/25. Cant complain about that!

Only downloaded it to my Mac Mini since ML should remove some screen sleep issues, which are annoying on a media center.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#35 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Uhh...

Disk Utility said:

Verifying volume “Chromium”
Checking file systemPerforming live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Incorrect number of file hard links
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Invalid directory item count
(It should be 20412 instead of 20413)
Invalid directory item count
(It should be 46 instead of 45)
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Chromium was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

That was not there on my verify done last night prior to installing Mountain Lion. If you just installed 10.8 you might want to check your disk just incase.

EDIT: It can't repair it. Looks like I'm backing up to my G5 and restoring the disk.  :blink:

Eric5h5:

#36 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Sounds like a singular hard link screw up, might be OS related or not. Any reason you didn't use the recovery partition as suggested?

#37 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostHansi, on 26 July 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

Sounds like a singular hard link screw up, might be OS related or not. Any reason you didn't use the recovery partition as suggested?
I did. It can't repair it.

Eric5h5:

#38 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Did it list it?

#39 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Okay, so booting as a Target Disk and checking it via 10.5.8 on my G5 revealed no problems, and booting from my Lion USB stick revealed no problems and both gave it a clean bill of health. Meanwhile Mountain Lion's Disk Utility, both from within the OS and from the recovery partition thinks there's a problem.

Interesting.

I'm inclined to believe Leopard and Lion for the moment, but I'll still do a backup to my 1.5TB on the G5. Just incase.

Eric5h5:

#40 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Well it's a single hard link that's about as likely to cause a problem as skipping a stone on a pond and hitting the Loch Ness in the head.